Ham and Spam

• since I started the blog a year ago, most comments do not get through as all are eliminated by the anti-spam module. There are quite a few Ham’s but I have no idea how to see them (or allow them). Where to I do to remedy this problem?

second question: I changed ‘full post’ to ‘summary’ but am informed by a friend that no email notifiation was sent. Does this have something to do with the ham&spam module? Thanks for setting me straight!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi alpineanomalous,

There are quite a few Ham’s but I have no idea how to see them (or allow them). Where to I do to remedy this problem?

You can manage by adding /wp-admin to the end of your site’s url (e.g.: example.wordpress.com/wp-admin), and clicking the Comments link in the left menu of your blog dashboard.

From there you can approve/unapprove, reply, edit, spam/unspam, or trash comments.

You can learn more about managing comments here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/manage-comments/

I changed ‘full post’ to ‘summary’ but am informed by a friend that no email notifiation was sent. Does this have something to do with the ham&spam module?

Could you explain where you changed this setting?

It sounds like the setting you changed would affect how posts appear on your blog page and/or in your RSS feed and email notifications. Changing the setting should have no effect on whether an email notification is sent or not.

If you explain what exact setting you changed, I can verify that for you.

• This is the link where I changed from full text to summary:
    https://alpineanomalous.wordpress.com/wp-admin/options-reading.php

settings >reading

I usually post every 2 weeks but recently (I think), none of my followers are getting an email notification; they seem to use the Reader. Maybe the majortiy are not interested? The latest post “Rage” is proof of that.

The spam messages I can accept or delete but what about the Ham messages? Where is the control for them? Is there one?

WordPress is far from being intuitive (but I can live with that) ;)

• Hi alpineanomalous,

The spam messages I can accept or delete but what about the Ham messages? Where is the control for them? Is there one?

There is no additional control for Ham messages. You can view the comments marked as spam and approve them. They will no longer be marked as spam and should then appear on your site.

This is the link where I changed from full text to summary:
    https://alpineanomalous.wordpress.com/wp-admin/options-reading.php

settings >reading

I usually post every 2 weeks but recently (I think), none of my followers are getting an email notification; they seem to use the Reader. Maybe the majortiy are not interested? The latest post “Rage” is proof of that.

Thanks for clarifying. The Reading settings control how the blog posts appear in the emails that are sent out. However, subscribers can control if and how often they receive email notifications from you.

Once readers have followed your blog, they can elect to receive an email each time you post, or to receive daily or weekly digests of all of your new posts. They can also elect to receive no emails, but to read your blog only in the WordPress.com Reader.

You can learn more about that here: https://en.support.wordpress.com/subscriptions-and-newsletters/

If you’re sure that followers have elected to receive email notifications whenever you publish a new post, you may also want to ask them to check their spam/junk folder for those emails.

If your followers’ email clients give them the option to unblock specific email addresses, try allowing *@wordpress.com (all emails from the domain) and/or (email visible only to moderators and staff) addresses. That should help ensure they receive your email notifications.

• OK for the Ham, but

If your followers’ email clients give them the option to unblock specific email addresses, try allowing *@wordpress.com (all emails from the domain) and/or [email redacted] addresses. That should help ensure they receive your email notifications.

Where is the page where I allow *@wordpress.com ?

(my friend hasn’t changed a thing yet nothing came through). I find it strange that my post-before-last only received 3 views from followers, but I suppose the answer is with them and not with my blog settings?

• The follower/subscriber will need to check their email client (whatever they use for email) to see if it has an option to whitelist all email addresses from wordpress.com.

This is something the follower/subscriber needs to do within their email service. It’s not something you can do from your WordPress.com website.

• Unsatisfactory response as to why my friend is not receiving notification from WordPress but I’ll leave it at that. Thanks for your time!

(my friend hasn’t changed a thing yet nothing came through). I find it strange that my post-before-last only received 3 views from followers, but I suppose the answer is with them and not with my blog settings?

• hello again!

prior to my message ‘ham and spam’, I wrote to the forum about these same notification problems (see link below). and this was solved in part by member Timethief (to whom I’ve equally written).

The notifications are being sent to followers BUT the WordPress configuration for Switzerland is skewed.

The error message from the Notification link says:

This site can’t be reached

alpineanomalouswordpress.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/notifications-for-followers?replies=2#post-2977902

Thanks to both you and Timethief for your assistance!

• Hi there,

The link you gave in your quote is alpineanomalouswordpress.com. That domain does not exist. Your site’s address, which should be appearing in your site’s subscription emails, is http://alpineanomalous.wordpress.com

I have no idea what you mean by “WordPress configuration for Switzerland”. Can you please provide more details on that?

In the other thread you mention a .ch suffix, but your site is not at a .ch domain. Your email address is, but you’re receiving the notification email there, so clearly we have no problem delivering the email to a .ch address.

The address at which an email is received also has no effect whatsoever on the content of the email. Your email provider might be parsing URLs in the body of the email incorrectly, but then it’s a problem with the email provider, and not with the content of the email. It’s impossible to adjust the content of the email based on the address to which it is sent. Email doesn’t work like that.

• For the past couple of months, followers were either not receiving an email notification or were no longer really interested in the subject matter. My friend in the US was receiving periodic notifications but this last one was the first to have an error in the link.

In the other thread you mention a .ch suffix, but your site is not at a .ch domain. Your email address is, but you’re receiving the notification email there, so clearly we have no problem delivering the email to a .ch address.

It’s not my address that’s receiving a notification to one of my posts, it’s all the followers’ addresses.

People are discovering the blog through the Reader, but none of the followers seem informed.

• I’m sorry, I don’t understand.

Is the problem that people are not receiving the emails, or that the email contains an incorrect link?

If someone is not receiving the emails, I need to know the email address so I can check if they’re still subscribed.

If the link is not working, I need to know exactly what the link is that’s appearing in the email.

none of the followers seem informed.

What do you mean by followers being “informed”? Of what are they supposed to be informed?

• I’m the one who’s now confused!

I believed there was a problem delivering email notifications to followers but perhaps I’m completely wrong. Should the next blog post have the same issues concerning the bad link, I will delete all my followers (and the problem is solved). Thanks for your time.

• The same problem with the missing dot appears on the notification for this “camping” site:

Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at infinitybeckonswordpress.com.

$o when is somebody from WordPress (not me!!) going to fix this glitch?!

• Where exactly are you seeing that link? Can you please copy the link exactly as it appears in the email, not the browser error message, and paste it into your reply?

Also please take a screen shot of the email, not the browser error message, and upload it to your site’s media library for me so I can see how the email looks that you’re receiving.

Making a Screenshot

• OK, the 3 screenshots have been uploaded to my media library. Good Luck!

• I see two screen shots of browser error messages in your media library. I don’t see any screen shot of the email in which the incorrect link appears.

You ignored my request and provided the exact opposite of what I asked for. I cannot help you if you don’t provide me with the information I need – which is a screen shot of the email in which you’re clicking that link.

• The information you requested came from a FOLLOWER (who is trying to help). I write the blog. I do NOT send out notifications. I cannot copy notifications to posts that I’ve never seen. Get it?

• In that case there’s nothing I can do.

If the period before “wordpress” in the address was being left out in the subscription notification emails we’d have thousands of report of this, as it meant all links for all WordPress.com sites would have been broken in emails going out to all subscribers. It’s impossible for the subscription emails only being delivered to specific users having a broken link in them, so the most logical explanation is that those users aren’t clicking on the link in the email, but instead typing it out in their browsers and leaving out the dot.

As I said before, alpineanomalouswordpress.com won’t work, because that’s not the site’s address. The site’s address, and what would be in the link in the subscription email, is alpineanomalous.wordpress.com

As you aren’t able to show me the subscription email with the incorrect link, and apparently haven’t even seen the subscription email yourself, I have no reason to suspect that the problem is with the email in this case.

• We’ll try again?

the ‘subscription email’ screenshots are in the media library. :)

<comments from follower>
    When I click on the word BINGO in blue font (in the actual email), it takes me to the URL that does not work, i.e., it takes me to a URL that does not have the dot before the word WordPress.

When I click on the words IN THE WILD… in blue font (in the actual email), it takes me to the URL that also does not work, i.e., it takes me to a URL that does not have the dot before the word WordPress.

HOWEVER, also attached is a screen shot of the subscription email for the blog called MakeItUltra. When I click on the word SUMMER in blue font (in the actual email), it takes me to the URL that does work just fine.

• Okay, so it’s if they click on the post title.

Just to confirm, these are screen shots that the follower sent to you, you don’t actually have access to the email itself? If you do have the email itself, can you please forward it to help@wordpress.com and let me know once you’ve done that?

Also ask the follower to do the following (or you can do it if you have access to the email): With the mouse pointer, just hover over the post title in the email. The URL should appear in the bottom-left corner of your browser. Does that URL contain the missing period or not?

I sent the email to myself, and that link is both working for me and showing the dot in the URL, so if it’s not doing that for that follower, it’s likely their email client stripping out some info, but from what I can see the email itself as we send it out is fine.

https://cloudup.com/cmNKhx7rUVV

I’ve also subscribed to your site so I get an email notification of the next post you publish, to double check.

• The topic ‘Ham and Spam’ is closed to new replies.