Gifs not displaying properly in Random Posts.

• Can some one please tell me why my gif animation is not playing correctly in Random Images Widget?
    Please check out the post below.
    http://sohostreetstyle.com/2013/06/08/3237/
    Thank you,

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• The image looks fine in the post but blinks and changes size in the widget.

Most likely its doing that because the image was forced-resized to match other images in widget, automatically. It does this with animated gif files.

• Here’s an example

the image re-sized (blinks and changes)
    http://i2.wp.com/sohostreetstyle.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/temp638.gif?resize=200%2C200

Image size as is (displays normal)

• Hi Supernu, thanks for the reply. I resized the image in Photoshop CS6 to match the dimensions allowed by my theme. I don’t know if that is classified as forced-resizing. Am I not supposed to that?

So are you saying this blinking and size-changing happens and there is nothing I can do about it?

Thank you.

• Oh I misunderstood you. You are talking about the image in the widget being forced-resized. Is there any way around it?

Thank you,

• You’re welcome. The widget applies the forced-resized code either way, if it’s to size or not, and since it’s an animated .gif it becomes distorted.

• I don’t understand why the widget does it differently for gifs and jpgs. Why can’t they just use same algorithm? That is kind of aggravating!! Am I the only one posting gifs here? Why does nobody else have problem with it?

Thank you for the help!!

• Or is there any way for me to select a different thumbnail to be used in Widgets instead?

Thank you,

• I’ve seen that same issue with animated .gif files on multiple blogs. It has nothing to do with the site, it’s the composition of the gif itself, when resized the display gets all funky.

The thumbnail is made from the picture in the post, and even if you re-size it in the post down to 200×200 there’s a chance it will still do the same in the widget, but you can give it a try if you like.

• If you notice the widget is resizing the JPG images to 200 long and cropping to 200 wide centrally and viceversa in case of vertical images. But in case of GIFs, the widget is doing something else completely that does not make any sense. Why can’t they just treat GIFs as JPGs like rest of the internet. I don’t get the philosophy behind this. It should be pretty easy bug to fix.

• The topic ‘Gifs not displaying properly in Random Posts.’ is closed to new replies.