Free theme homepages don't look like demos

• Author

None of the homepages for any of the free WordPress themes look anything like their demos.

I activated the Argent theme. I haven’t changed anything about it. I would expect my current site, washtenawstiltgrass3.wordpress.com, to resemble the image below, which the sample image from the Argent theme’s website.

Instead, it is very different.

I tried this with other themes, like Ixion and Baskerville, and they all have the same problem. It’s like they completely redesigned their structures and haven’t updated their demos. What am I doing wrong?

The blog I need help with is washtenawstiltgrass.wordpress.com.

Hello @washtenawstiltgrass,

When I try to view washtenawstiltgrass.wordpress.com, it says ”The authors have deleted the site”.

Do you still need help with this?

In any case, the reason why you aren’t able to see your site exactly as shown in the theme demo is because it needs some customisation. In order to bring your site to look exactly like the demo you need to follow the theme’s setup instructions to set it up.

Activating a theme doesn’t necessarily cause it to look like the demo of that theme. For most themes, arriving at a site that resembles the theme demo requires building various parts of the site by following the theme guidelines.

The guidelines for the Argentina Theme are detailed in this link. Please note that most themes are made to display your content, so it won’t look like the demo if you don’t yet have any content to display.

You should be able to achieve a site that looks exactly like the theme demo by carefully following all the steps provided in the theme overview or guidelines. If you feel stuck at any point in this customisation process, you can always bring your question over to the forum (where you are at now). I, along with many other volunteers will be happy to help.

Hope this clarifies why your site doesn’t look like shown in the theme demo. Don’t give up yet! It can feel frustrating at first but the process of setting up your site to look exactly as the demo is immensely rewarding, you will not regret it.

Hi, sorry, I’m not sure why it automatically added that URL to the bottom of my post, that’s annoying. The blog in question is washtenawstiltgrass2.wordpress.com.

(I switched to Ixion because I didn’t realize how complicated the Portfolio thing is with Argent.)

I should have clarified…I followed the Ixion set-up directions as best I could. But it still doesn’t look anything like the theme demo. Nothing is aligned the way it should be. I feel like maybe it hasn’t been updated with WordPress’ new block editor, or something? here’s my site, and here’s the demo image from Ixion.

Hello @washtenawstiltgrass,

Thank you for confirming the site address.

(I switched to Ixion because I didn’t realize how complicated the Portfolio thing is with Argent.)

With some help from the forum or its volunteers would have surely enabled you to set up the Portfolio in the Argent theme without much of a complication.

I should have clarified…I followed the Ixion set-up directions as best I could. But it still doesn’t look anything like the theme demo. Nothing is aligned the way it should be.

That is because you haven’t done everything that requires your site to look like the demo yet. If you would like, I can help you do this step by step.

I feel like maybe it hasn’t been updated with WordPress’ new block editor, or something?

No, there is nothing wrong with the new block editor. It is just that you have a lot more customisation left to complete. I understand, it can seem a lot for a beginner. But with a little help, you can build a gratifyingly responsive site.

Now, would you be able to tell me the following:

1. Would you like your home page to look exactly like the demo?
    2. What are the items you need on your menu?
    3. Would you like a call-to-action button as well?

We can start with this for now and get to the rest of it on the way. Let me know, looking forward to helping you achieve a site that looks exactly as displayed in the theme demo.

The topic ‘Free theme homepages don't look like demos’ is closed to new replies.