Feedback Thread for the Block Editor

• Hello macmanx, quote:

By following the same steps at https://wordpress.com/support/editors/#classic-editor

Thank you for confirming the old path will be preserved.

(For some reason, I had the idea that the “WP admin” link itself would be removed. )

• The plan currently is to switch on the Block Editor for everyone, not to remove the Classic Editor.

Note the word CURRENTLY!

• Yes, no one can predict the future, and I wouldn’t want to put anyone in a hole by over-promising on something that I personally cannot guarantee.

There are currently no plans, and no foreseen situations, which would result in the removal of the Classic Editor.

• So why doesn’t the WP make a formal statement to at least guarantee the maintenance of the classic block? I think that would put an end to almost all fears here.

• Radtrad you make a VERY valid point!!! I am having ‘kitty fits’ here worrying I will lose my entire blog in 2 years…this happened to me back in June/July of 2012 over @ Multiply! Lost everything: posts & pix from 7 years of blogging!
    I am getting too old to have to restart yet again with a new blog….I hope someone hears you!
    Sincerely Sherri-Ellen of THE Purrfect Pad

• @nylabluesmum, quote

Radtrad you make a VERY valid point!!! I am having ‘kitty fits’ here worrying I will lose my entire blog in 2 years…this happened to me back in June/July of 2012 over @ Multiply! Lost everything: posts & pix from 7 years of blogging!

Not sure if I understand this statement. Are you saying that the EXISTING content of your WP blog will be lost, due to a change of editor?
    How can that change lead to actual deletion of your posts?

• WordPress users the world over: happily blogging

WordPress: we’re going to make major usability changes to the platform you’re happily blogging on

WordPress users the world over: please don’t, we’re happy, the current editor works just fine

WordPress: you’ll use the new editor and you’ll like it…

WordPress users the world over: But…

WordPress: There there don’t cry … We know what’s best for you.

Coke Classic v.2.0

• That’s what I;ve heard Mabel amber…it could be a rumour…I am not techie & trying to save pix is one thing but the actual 8 years worth of blogs…I;d have NO idea how to……I hope the rumour is wrong!!!

• Content created in the Classic Editor or the Classic Block will always remain, even if the Classic Editor or Classic Block were fully discontinued.

WordPress at its core is an HTML editor, and content created in both the Classic Editor and Block Editor is still HTML content.

• Working in Wix blocks was like scrapbooking on paper. You’d cut a little piece of paper out, stick it down, write some text on it. Then cut another little piece of paper out, stick it down and write some text on that one. And so on for however many paragraphs you wanted to write. You’d cut out a long thin bit of paper, write a heading on it, and stick that down so it lines up properly with the other blocks. You have pixel by pixel control over the x and y axis positioning, so you tweak and nudge and tweak till everything’s lined up, and who cares that you had designated the last couple of hours as writing time when there are paragraph blocks to nudge into place. Oh, and the nightmare if any of those paragraphs didn’t flow. No sticking a closing p tag in a better place and rewriting the start of the following paragraph. Nope, you have to rewrite the content of every single block. in order. Blocks are great for graphic designers. They are dreadful for writers.

Yes, I know I’m complaining a lot. You say the Classic editor will remain available. I’m not getting that vibe, to be honest. I get a strong feeling WordPress is morphing into PicturePress or some such. I just escaped here from Wix. Now I’m back in a Wix-like environment whether I like it or not. I am so thoroughly disappointed.

• There is also the classic block. It does everything the classic editor does (the classic editor, to me, is the editor of the adm area, not the blue one); if the WP committed to maintaining it, our demands will be met. And remember that there is also the Blogger platform (and some others), that meet your goals.

What I like most here, and makes me stick to a plan to have even more, is the assistance of real human beings in solving problems and the mechanisms of interaction between blogs that we find on the platform (Reader also is a strong point!).

• Yes, WordPress.com has many advantages. It’s just that the block editor is not one of them.

• Wordpress.com is a fabulous platform for publishing content and finding readers, it’s really unique, which is part of why it makes this situation all the more confounding, disheartening.

For example, I’ve been blogging since 2007 and have largely had no complaints whatsoever. And to be reasonable, I allowed the BLOCK EDITOR to work on one of my blogs, but I kept Classic Editor on another — and the contrast is dire, nauseating even. It’s like WP has a thorn in its foot trying to do this transformation thing, but for all the reasons for why the blocks are supposed to be so breakthrough, I’m just not seeing it. And as I work with both editors, the Classic is clearly the superior; and though I don’t follow trends in “creating new ways to create blogging software,” I just don’t understand how these so-called “blocks” even reared their ugly heads into the field. Where did these things even come from?

At any rate, the situation is bizarre to say the least, though when I see the word “fear” in some of these posts, it seem wrong that anxiety has to be created, but I guess it’s a rough and tumble world out there…

• In 2018 all these problems were raised, but it seems that few were taken into account:

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wordpress-gutenberg.html

• So it looks like from feedback that I have gotten is that Classic Editor (not block) will cease from 2022. :'(
    I have tried the new BLOCK editor and it takes forever to do what use to take a shorter amount of time … and since all I want to do is edit photos and blog about them it looks like I am going to have to change over to another blogging site.
    CLASSIC editor was easy and simple to use and didn’t take heaps more steps to complete what it now takes me using BLOCK. And with my limited health restrictions I have to choose what I will expend my energy on … and it’s not this new editor.
    Before this change I had considered upgrading my blog but now I will be finding another platform to put my blog onto. SO sad that there can only be THE BLOCK WAY OR NO WAY … eventually. I have been a WP user for many years but not now :(

• Yes, no one can predict the future, and I wouldn’t want to put anyone in a hole by over-promising on something that I personally cannot guarantee.

There are currently no plans, and no foreseen situations, which would result in the removal of the Classic Editor. from macmanx

The word currently scares me a lot. This is why I am considering moving now and not waiting to see if it will disappear.

Classic Editor is the easiest and simplest to use. Block Editor doesn’t have the ease and a lot of the functionality of Classic. WHY are you doing this to us?

• WordPress at its core is an HTML editor, and content created in both the Classic Editor and Block Editor is still HTML content.

What if they change the HTML to a newer version? Will content change?

I repeat, the only, and simplest, way to satisfy everyone, which can still be done, is to keep the classic editor as the default for us simple users, and the block editor as an optional alternative for the experts who want it.
    What is so difficult about this? Answer, that if so they would not be able to force us to accept that they alone know what is good for us.

• @WordPress, quoting the “Recommendation” I see at the top of my Classic Editor page:

There’s an easier way to create posts on WordPress.com. Switch to the new block editor.

[My bold]

WHY WordPress, WHY … do you decide for members what is “easy” and what is not? Why do you not simply say: “There’s a different way etc. ” ?

WHY must you stop making sense, since anyone with basic sense can easily see that there can be nothing easier than creating posts in the Classic Editor?

(If you don’t mind my saying so, the “recommendation” at the top of the page is in fact a tad disrespectful, since it suggests that anyone who would NOT find the Gutenberg editor “easy” might not be too bright, or else too lazy to discover the “easiness” or even both. )

• PS – Oh dear, I turned “wordpress” into a link, in the assumption it would lead to the WP homepage, but now it turns out that there exists a WP member with that user name. My sincere apologies if I have created an embarrassing situation.

• Mabel,

There’s an easier way to create posts on WordPress.com. Switch to the new block editor.

Someone has a perverted sense of humour. NOBODY could take that remark seriously.

• The topic ‘Feedback Thread for the Block Editor’ is closed to new replies.