Feedback Thread for the Block Editor

• Author

supernovia
    Staff

Also – a minor question – a few months ago I tried using the Verse block, because I didn’t want my paragraphs to be so spaced out, but I don’t like the font that it uses. Is there any way to change this? (My theme, Stow, doesn’t allow overall font changes, I don’t think, but I was wondering if I could change it for an individual block?)

Thanks for that. Clarifying, @writer001, would you rather it use the default theme font or are you hoping to be able to choose whatever font you’d like?

mabelamber

Hello Supernovia, quote:

What I’m gathering so far is that you all mostly prefer Classic for its simplicity: no “new blocks” appearing as you write.

Indeed. It should not be so that an automated system decides FOR me how my post should look.

writer0001

@supervovia,

would you rather it use the default theme font or are you hoping to be able to choose whatever font you’d like?

I would like to have the same font as the theme has (I understand I’d need a theme with the ability to change fonts to actually choose a different font). I completely agree with @postaldeliveries that the typewriter font is awful, and the unnecessary block size adds to my annoyance. In my opinion it should act like a paragraph block – except without the large space between lines.

As for the possible bug, I will create a new thread.

supernovia
    Staff

@mabelamber

It should not be so that an automated system decides FOR me how my post should look.

Can you clarify that a bit more? The blocks are intended to give you more flexibility in how the post looks, so if that isn’t what’s happening I want to hear more about what you’re seeing.

supernovia
    Staff

Thanks, I’ll file a request to have the verse font use the regular theme font. I think that *might* be because verse is supposed to let you indent with spaces, and that would need a monospaced font to get the same result. But. I will file something for that.

Clarify this though:

In my opinion it should act like a paragraph block – except without the large space between lines.

Between each line in the verse or the space above and below the block?

I’m thinking of filing a request to let the verse font act exactly like the paragraph block except let people do their own spacing. I’m assuming the line height should stay the same as a paragraph block but if not, let me know.

@supernovia

the lines comprising the verse should be separated by a break “br” – not by a paragraph “p”

The verses should be separated by a paragraph “p” – if this means that we need to insert a new block for each verse – that’s a pain but I can live with it.

What about a block that just accepts whatever you paste in to it without reformatting it?

That would be useful.

David

For writers, it makes no sense that every time you hit enter you get a new block. It’s a document, not a pile of mini-documents. 10 months ago when we were discussing this, I asked, “What if I am writing a poem?” Support suggested the verse block because in the verse block hitting enter does not create a new block. Huzzah! But in poetry every aspect of the layout on the page is important to the experience of the poem. It is not just about line breaks. And a monospaced font like Courier is certainly not appropriate. No one would publish a poem in that font, unless emulating a typewriter was part of the point of the poem.

Being able to select an attractive font would help, just like allowing line breaks without creating a new block every time helps. But I am sure there are other problems. I am tempting to activate the block editor on one of my blogs to see. I haven’t fooled with it for 10 months.

@guitarsophist

Yes! Yes! Yes! – and the fixed-width window is pointless, too.

Like I said before – this is designed for web site builders, not for website users.

Who would ever think of putting a new sheet of paper in the typewriter every time you come to the end of a line?

David

mabelamber

@supernovia, quote:

Can you clarify that a bit more? The blocks are intended to give you more flexibility in how the post looks, so if that isn’t what’s happening I want to hear more about what you’re seeing.

It is exactly as I say. The blocks are NOT giving more “flexibility”, because the system is deciding my the “flexibility” for me. *I*, as the writer will decide when I want a block and when I do not.

@postaldeliveries nailed with his comment above mine, pointing to the “web site builders” and the argument of putting “a new sheet of paper” in the typewriter, every time you come “to the end of a line”.

Where is the common sense please? As I already said: I simply want to WRITE without some system creating “blocks”, that have nothing to do with my intended layout.

daisymae2017

Things seem to better today we’ll see if it stays that way.

daisymae2017

That’s right. I want something simple and easy to use and let it be my decision not automated.

writer0001

I completely agree with @postaldeliveries and @guitarsophist.

@supernovia,

Between each line in the verse or the space above and below the block?

I meant that the lines within a poem would not have a massive space between them, but still act like the paragraph block in terms of font.

let people do their own spacing.

I’d like the idea of being able to choose our own spacing. Spaces between separate verse blocks are, in my opinion, not as important (although others might disagree).

And, as @postaldeliveries said,

What about a block that just accepts whatever you paste in to it without reformatting it?

Yes!! This is exactly what we need!! This would make blocks SO much better for me, and I’m sure others too.
    From other people’s feedback, it looks like the classic editor lets you do paste without losing formatting, but I came to WordPress when the block editor was the default editor so haven’t gotten used to the classic editor. I would love a block (besides the Classic Block) that lets me do this.

@writer0001 The classic editor is like a word processor. It is more powerful than something like Notepad, but far less capable than Word. It’s clunky, but it is pretty easy to write in and when you become accustomed to its quirks, you can pretty much get what you want out of it. I think what writers wanted was a more capable word processor with fewer quirks and better handling of html codes.

Instead we got the block editor. But WordPress is deeply committed to the block editor at this point. It is in the core code, and they apparently plan for the whole theme to be constructed in blocks, not just the main text. This shift is disrupting the whole WordPress ecosystem: theme developers, plugin developers, website designers, not just us. It is too far along to change. The fact that the classic editor and the classic block are still available is already a big compromise. They really don’t want to support or maintain that code.

About 10 months ago I investigated alternative platforms–Wix, Squarespace, Medium, Ghost, even self-hosted WordPress. I think WordPress.com is still the best for me, and probably for many others. But eventually we will probably have to either use the block editor or move someplace else. The folks here are listening. They would like to make it better. Probably they can to some degree. For me, the problem is conceptual, not technical, but maybe they will prove me wrong.

radtrad

“I think what writers wanted was a more capable word processor with fewer quirks and better handling of html codes.”

(2x) I said this many times when the discussion about Gutemberg started and I never understood the option of marginalizing those who like to write. What is the big problem in creating such blocks and, at the same time, leaving permanently, stable, secure a great block for those who write?

ryrhino00

I would suggest being able to upload fonts to wordpress similar to being able to upload photos.

Also I would like to suggest having a few fonts that look like a typewriter.

radtrad

How does this relate to the block editor?

ryrhino00

How does this relate to the block editor?

You can use blocks to add images.

I am suggesting a block that lets you add fonts that a person can upload similar to the block that lets a person add images that they uploaded.

Following and nodding my head in agreement
    @guitarsophist
    @radtrad

bookstooge

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I think the block editor is terrible. Adding spaces between paragraphs takes extra steps, pictures don’t easily go where I want them too and oh, the calendar function is still being worked on! And the whole “use the classic block” isn’t a solution.

I did a post on this and most of the other bloggers who commented also thought the block editor was terrible. A couple had “gotten used to it”, but what kind of damned by faint praise is that? It isn’t.

You can see the comments here:
    <u>A Bit More Than Peeved</u>

I have switched back to the classic editor and will not use the block editor.

dasyad00

Before you decide to remove the old editor, please be sure to implement all of the old features onto the new editor. Main feature I need is adequate keyboard shortcut support. Selecting and highlighting texts across paragraphs/blocks is impossible without help from a keyboard, same issue as mentioned by @writer0001.

@supernovia You mentioned that this is a bug and that we should be be submitting a report on this. Please find such report here

The topic ‘Feedback Thread for the Block Editor’ is closed to new replies.