Feedback Thread for the Block Editor

• Author

supernovia
    Staff

The Block Editor came to WordPress three years ago. Since then, we’ve worked hard to make it a smooth, powerful editing experience. But while many of our customers at WordPress.com use it exclusively, if you’re reading this thread you’re likely one who liked our older editor better.

Maintaining multiple editors is no small task. The block editor will be the standard going forward, though you can still use the classic WordPress editor if you’d like. But we want to make our block editor into something you’ll love. If you have specific feedback that we could use to make the block experience better for you, this is the thread for it.

Staff will not reply to every comment, and we will not be able to implement every idea. But we will be taking notes for future iterations.

So let us know:
    – What’s your typical process?
    – What is getting in the way?
    – If you could adjust one feature, what would it be?

If you really want to use the classic editor, it is still available. We also have tips for transitioning from the Classic Editor to Blocks, and FAQs.

As always, thank you for abiding by our community standards. Please take time to review them here.

I have spent quite a bit of time today checking which of my old posts needed to be converted to blocks. Converting some of them has been a hit and miss task. I have also lost text and mix cloud.com links in a couple of blogs. This is all very trying as I have over 200 blogs. I am using a MacBook Air to write my blogs.

The convert to block box does not always appear, I take it this means the blog was already written in the block style. An example of a blog post which I tried to convert was the post – The Happening 11/05/2020 with Tribute to Millie Small RIP on http://www.dwradio.co.uk

My blog site address is http://www.dancequeendq.wordpress.com

mabelamber

Hello staff and WP users!

There was a storm of protest some five years ago, if my memory serves me well, when some new fangled editor was introduced, which came with cutesy bubbles, I cannot remember the name – anyhow, lots of people were enraged (among them myself). Thank goodness, the classic editor stayed up and running.

Hopefully, the classic editor will simply remain now that again a new editor is about to be launched. It is a great editor, just what I (and I imagine many others) need: simple, easy to handle and does what it should do: contain text in a straightforward way. Nothing more, nothing less – in the same way as sitting at a desk and whipping out a piece of paper or a writing pad to fill the waiting pages with your lines.

Again: please do NOT take away the classic editor for all time to come.

Thank you in advance, my gratitude will be huge,

Mabel Amber

I second everything that member Mabelamber has said. The Classic Editor has helped me out when your new editor has caused problems.

At the very least we need to keep the Classic Editor as back up, especially for those of us who use MacBook or other Apple Products.

https://wordpress.com/forums/users/mabelamber/

mabelamber

At the very least we need to keep the Classic Editor as back up, especially for those of us who use MacBook or other Apple Products.

Strong point!

supernovia
    Staff

Hi @1dancequeendq, and Mabel Amber! Thanks for the clear feedback.

I do remember the storm of posts. We decided to post this feedback thread in anticipation of another.

Hopefully keeping the classic editor in place for the foreseeable will be helpful. My hope though is that we can address any issues that are bothering you, too.

Personally, I pin the toolbar at the top because I don’t like it getting in my way. That’s a preference, but the the Top Toolbar option is under the three dots on the right side.

After that, is there anything in particular that bothers you with just typing in the new editor? Are you running into any bugs or is there a visual issue? Please do send feedback so we can make things better.

mabelamber

After that, is there anything in particular that bothers you with just typing in the new editor?

Hi Supernovia!

Thank you for your response –

To be honest: I have not even given the new editor a try. Because I am totally content with the classic editor. For almost ten whole years now. There is absolutely no reason for me to spend precious time getting used to yet another version of a tool which suits my needs for the full 100%. As I said, for me an editor is a sheet of paper and the keyboard is my pen, and the toolbar at the top offers me the basics to shape my post.

For that matter: I have always wondered, ever since I became “computerized”, so to speak (13 years ago), why a site would assume that some particular change would be an “improvement” for the users. Just imagine, you are sitting at your writing table, and suddenly someone enters the room, grabs your writing pad, and your pen, chucks them in the dustbin and slaps a totally different writing pad, with different lines and different size and the paper has a different color, under your nose, and even your pencil is lifted from your fingers and this person gives you another, and it feels awkward, and they pat you on the back and say: “There now, isn’t that wonderful? I’ve improved things for you, and now you’ll be doing much better, bye!”, and exit…. leaving you confused and angry, struggling with stuff you never asked for.
    In real life that would be perfectly odd. But online it seems to be perfectly normal.

2hz1qg

I wish there was a Table of Contents block that would automatically draw from my Heading blocks.

I wish I could permanently delete images from a block UI instead of having to clean up Media later.

Rarely, I’ll make changes to a draft but a preview in a new tab won’t reflect those changes. I think it is because I have multiple tabs open and the cache gets corrupted.

I wish that when I enter alternative text for an image in a blog post, that text would be stored centrally. I noticed that if I edit an image in Media, that alternative text is copied with the image.

Thanks for the SyntaxHighlighter block. I’ve not had to deal with entities since I started using that block.

kokkieh
    Staff

@2hz1qg

I wish there was a Table of Contents block that would automatically draw from my Heading blocks.

This is already being worked on over on WordPress.org where the block editor it made. Once that makes it into a Gutenberg plugin update, it should also become available here.

I wish I could permanently delete images from a block UI instead of having to clean up Media later.

That would require a change to how the WordPress software itself works, so would have to come from WordPress.org. It’s very unlikely they’ll do this, though – the media library is designed as a storage space, with images only being embedded in posts from that storage space, allowing you to embed the same file in multiple posts and pages. The actual image file doesn’t exist in the post itself, and when you remove an image from a post you’re just removing the link, not the file.

I wish that when I enter alternative text for an image in a blog post, that text would be stored centrally. I noticed that if I edit an image in Media, that alternative text is copied with the image.

The reason we don’t do this is the same as what I explained above – it’s designed so that you can use the same image in multiple places, and someone might have a reason to use different alt text for the same image in different contexts.

So you can specify alt text in the media library, which would be the default alt text used when you then insert that image anywhere on your site. But you then have the option of changing that from the editor, without it syncing back to the library and changing it in other places the image might be used where you might not want the same alt text.

I’ve just read the post here by Supernovia that the Classic Editor will be remaining for the foreseeable future.

I’m a little confused and extremely frustrated!?

Last week I had the message pop up that everyone would be moved to the Block Editor as of June 1 — being someone who has tried the new editor and cannot work with it at all — this announcement has caused me no end of anxious moments as I have scurried around to learn about alternatives to WordPress and how to shift my domain etc.

Pretty much, I’m on the verge of giving up on my 2 blogs altogether now because of the level of stress this new editor has created for me, along with the June 1 deadline.

I am only a Premium customer, so I can’t use plug-ins, therefore I can’t install the Classic Editor plug-in … I am not prepared to pay $300/year for a hobby that I already spend too much money on for what it is.

Please someone tell me straight up … As a Premium customer will I continue to have access to the Classic Editor for the foreseeable future, without having to upgrade — or should I just hit the delete button on my 2 blogs on cancel my account with WordPress today?

macmanx
    Staff

As a Premium customer will I continue to have access to the Classic Editor for the foreseeable future, without having to upgrade

That is correct.

If you really want to use the classic editor, it is still available: https://wordpress.com/support/editors/#classic-editor

We also have tips for transitioning from the classic editor to blocks https://wordpress.com/support/switching-from-the-classic-to-the-block-editor/ and FAQs: https://wordpress.com/support/replacing-the-older-wordpress-com-editor-with-the-wordpress-block-editor/#frequently-asked-questions

We do recommend the new editor though, and we have some extensive documentation available at https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/

Thanks so much for such a quick reply on this @macmanx

I understand that developers would like their new ideas to be received well and taken up eagerly by the majority, but some of us work better with plain and simple. That is specifically why I chose WordPress.com.

Personally, I’m just a straight forward blogger, not a fancy website creator. I need nothing more than a Word Document kind of format to write in, the ease of WordPress handling my domains and a few theme customisations to make my sites stand out and function the way I want them to … I would be far from alone in having chosen WordPress.com for that simplicity.

Having said that, I appreciate the links you have provided and will explore them at some point, however I am pretty sure I will be sticking with the classic editor as long as I possibly can, before moving on elsewhere if a time comes that the block editor is the only option on WordPress.

mabelamber

Good afternoon people!

Now I am properly confused.

The word “premium user” has been dropped. But I am not even that, I use WP for free… how is the use of the Classic Editor guaranteed for me?

A staff answer very much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Mabel Amber

galois

Hi, @mabelamber

What other options do I have?
    We hope you give the WordPress editor a try — it’s been the editing experience of choice for millions since it arrived on the scene. That said, we know some of you might prefer to avoid this change. We’re offering two options for those who’d rather stick with an older way of editing your content.

1) Use the Classic block
    Within the new WordPress editor you’ll find the Classic block, which replicates the functionality of the Classic editor — that’s the editor that used to be the default until several years ago, well before we introduced the WordPress.com editor. Here’s what it looks like:

2) Opt to use the Classic editor
    You also have the choice to switch to the Classic editor. Here’s what it looks like, in case you haven’t seen this one in a while (or ever):

Quoted from the official WordPress.com Blog:
    https://wordpress.com/blog/2020/05/18/say-hello-to-the-wordpress-block-editor/

Best regards.

@mabelamber, it does not matter if you are on a paid or free plan, you can use the options that @galois mentioned above.

@rebeccarawson48 I understand that desire to keep things simple. I would encourage you to try the Block Editor at least to create one test post though. If you only plan to write, you do not need to manually add blocks or play with the settings. You would just write. Everytime you press “enter”, a new Paragraph Block would be created for you automatically. If you would like to style the text, you will find the settings just above each block:

https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/paragraph-block/

mabelamber

Thank you galois and fresatomica!

Kind regards,

Mabel Amber

Hi @fresatomica

Thank you for the suggestion but as I mentioned in my first comment I have tried it, multiple times in fact, especially as the push for it to be used has increased from WordPress and I have felt under pressure to use it.

The fact a new block is created everytime I begin a new paragraph is one of my biggest issues with this editor. Having to work within the blocks is distracting and far from being more simple than the classic editor.

Blogging as a hobby should be fun, not being put under pressure to use a platform other than the one I signed up for. Once it becomes an overwhelmingly frustrating process there is little point in continuing … Which is where I find myself with the block editor and WordPress, and I get the feeling I am not alone.

Again, thank you for your suggestions, I appreciated the advice but I’ve tried it and it falls far short of the classic editor for my purposes.

simplycol

I am trying the new editor after using the classic editor for years. Honestly, I am finding the new one chunky and time-consuming. Thank you so much for keeping the classic editor available.

0ddn1x

Thank you too, @galois and @fresatomica.

I’m pleased we’ll still have access to the classic editor; it’s what kept me here after my original means of posting became collateral damage courtesy of Mozilla.

Migrating my blog data to a static, MD-based, self-hosted VPS for the sake of a ‘simple editor’ choice doesn’t appeal much. Odds are I’d euthanize it instead.

I fully appreciate the amount of effort the devs put into creating the new editor but they need to understand **classics are old, not obsolete**.

mabelamber

**classics are old, not obsolete**

Hear hear!

The topic ‘Feedback Thread for the Block Editor’ is closed to new replies.