Feature Request: Option to disable attachment pages

• Attachment pages can be useful for some people however for others they’re annoying. Having the ability to disable them without a business plan and a third party plugin would be nice.

Disabling them and redirecting them to the parent post would be my preferred option.

Thanks

• Hi there,

Media attachment pages is a core feature of the open source WordPress software. We don’t disable any Core features on WordPress.com except where those are incompatible with WordPress.com’s unique setup, and media attachment pages don’t fall under that category. So the only way they’d become optional on WordPress.com, is if they became optional in the Core software itself first.

Can you provide more detail on why you want to be able to disable those?

• I don’t find them useful, and people end up on them instead of the posts they’re attached to.

I’ve always had them disabled and redirected when I ran my site self-hosted for the past 10 years. I forgot they existed until I moved to WordPress.com recently.

• Thanks for that info.

This change will have to come from Core, though. Otherwise a plugin like Yoast SEO is the only way to do this on WordPress.com

• Unfortunately WordPress.com charges too much per month just to run a plugin, requiring you to upgrade to a business plan to do so.

Where can I suggest the change to core?

• Feature requests for the open source version of WordPress go in https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/

You’ll need to register a WordPress.org account to post there, as your WordPress.com login details won’t work on that site.

• The topic ‘Feature Request: Option to disable attachment pages’ is closed to new replies.