Expoitative advertising

• @ dandelionsalad. Thanks! I visited your blog and commented. I’ll be doing some tweeting later too. Cheers!

• Thank you for all of the responses here. I’ll be starting on these this afternoon. Expect to hear from me this afternoon at the email addresses connected to your user account. Thanks :)

• Hi everyone –

update: I have emailed nikkojii, daniceseclectic, and dandelionsalad so far. Please respond to me in that email with further questions and/or follow ups. I am going to close this thread as soon as I have reviewed all the sites.

• Why close this thread? There are still so many people that are completely unaware of these new ads on their blogs.

I’ve never heard of communicating privately on a public issue before.

• New screenshot that shows 3 ads on the blog. The white spaces are where the ads are located since I use an Ad Blocker on the browsers that I use.

3 Ads on Each Blog Post on WordPress.com Blogs

• @ lizarkoski … does thin mean that there will be an across-the-board review of the policy or just an amendment to the sites people have given you screen shots of? Because this is a systemic issue, not just limited to the bloggers who have brought the issue up here.

• So, I went ahead and moved the three sites to a self-hosted environment. I took an extra domain and connected it to an already existing hosting (with another WP network install). This costs me $ 3,- per year for the the three blogs, ads free!

At least I made a statement :-)

• Got your email, lizkarkoski. Thank you so much. I emailed you with a reply. The ads are off of my blog, but are the ads are going to return later?

• lizkarkoski
    Happiness Engineer

Why arbitrary decision to close this convo? On what basis do you make these decisions? What gives you the right?

• Good morning –

I’ve received your reply, dandelionsalad. I’ll be in touch this morning. I appreciate those extra screen shots you shared.

It’s easier for me to keep track of each case individually through email versus a giant thread. My colleagues outside of the forums team can also reply and help you should a response be sent to those emails. I hope that makes sense.

As far as closing the thread – I’m going to back away once I’ve responded to everyone here. Should future requests/needs/problems come to this thread they can add the Modlook tag to request staff attention. “close” wasn’t the right phrasing.

• widdershinsfirst – each site is being reviewed individually.

• chefperrypperkins – the site listed is enrolled in WordAds. This means that you’re being paid for the ads displayed on your site. Once you reach $100 in earnings you’ll get a pay out from WordAds directly. If you don’t want to be enrolled in this program I will remove the ads on your site.

• Hi ricjcs – I am having a look at the ads on your site now. I’ll be in touch via email soon.

• barovsky – I didn’t see a site listed in your posts. Do you need me to review one?

• roygangleri – It sounds like you’ve moved over to self hosted completely. Is there anything else that you need help with here?

• mcoverda – apologies. I skipped over your post last night when I started going through the sites listed. I’ll be in touch by email this morning. You can follow up with me there with any further questions and/or concerns.

• Everyone who has posted in this thread should have heard from me. If you haven’t please add the Modlook tag to your next reply.

• Hi lizkarkoski.

Thank you very much for your attention.

But this is something global. Many bloggers are in the same situation and do not know. It is unfair, that only a few users (including myself) have a individual support.

The problem is the new policy of wordpress.com. It’s legitimate, you do what you want with the company. But, in my view, it was not a good attitude.

Besides the main blog, I have others. I have a blog that is the translation of an ebook of free distribution. I have links to the blog in the ebook in pdf and epub. So switching to another service is not a good idea, I also will not upgrade to this blog. I chose wordpress.com instead of another company because I trusted the company, but now I have advertising everywhere.

• Liz, thank you again for your time on this issue.

The very large sidebar ad(s) are still on the blog. That is my main objection.

From a business point of view, WP having tacky “Chat with Me” type of ads that are very large, can’t be missed and located right when someone comes to our blogs is not recruiting new WP users.

How can I or any of us recommend others to use WP now?

If our blogs look good, WP looks good and you will have more users who will pay for upgrades, even though I cannot afford to do so.

Why have some bloggers have had their sidebar ads removed but not others?

• The topic ‘Expoitative advertising’ is closed to new replies.