Expected income for New blog?

• Author

m00ne
    Original poster

Started my blog about 3 weeks ago. Since then, I have received almost 60,000 views. I was just approved by wordads to recieve income from advertising. If I stay at this pace (say, 70,000 views and 30,000 visitors a month), does anyone know how much money I am looking at? Roughly? I am trying to plan out some investments.

The blog I need help with is: m00ne.wordpress.com

m00ne
    Original poster

The link is incorrect. I am referring to http://touchmyculture.com

raincoaster

You are looking at roughly $10 per month with WordAds. If you had external hosting and joined an ad program like Federated Media etc, you could at least triple that, possibly more.

raincoaster

By the way, that’s an EXTREMELY impressive debut.

macmanx
    Staff

You are looking at roughly $10 per month with WordAds.

There is always the possibility of making much more (or less) than $10/month depending on what region your traffic is coming from and how many of your viewers run ad blockers.

It’s really not possible to place a static estimate on anyone’s earnings in any advertising program.

Generally, we are paid for impression, not by click. That means the more visits you get, and the more each visitor uses your site, the more you will earn.

North American ad placements currently pay-out at a much greater level than international ads. We are negotiating deals with some partners, particularly in Europe that will see higher rates there but generally we are not compensated well for traffic in Asia, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East.

If you had external hosting and joined an ad program like Federated Media etc, you could at least triple that, possibly more.

WordAds negotiates rates with a variety of advertising networks on behalf of the entirety of WordPress.com. With currently over 52 millions sites in our inventory, we’re able to negotiate significantly higher rates than single sites ever could, and with the WordAds program, we pass a very large percentage of that revenue on to the blogger.

I am trying to plan out some investments.

As it is really impossible to predict earnings outright, it all depends on the traffic and type of audience specific to your blog, I highly recommend waiting for your first month’s worth of earnings to arrive before making any sort of investment decisions.

Earnings are always posted between the second and third weeks of the following month.

Please note that you can always contact the WordAds staff via http://wordads.co/contact/

raincoaster

Really? Because my off-WP.com sites are out-earning my WP.com sites by a factor of three per click.

macmanx
    Staff

Ads that pay per click are an entirely different beast from ads which pay by impression. WordAds pays by impression.

Click ads tend pay typically higher per click than impression ads pay per impression, as it’s far less likely that a visitor will click an ad than simply see that it exists on the page.

With that said, it all comes down to the site and audience. For example, http://thewirecutter.com/ will have a significantly higher click-through rate than http://qz.com/ as Wirecutter is all about products and typically encourages the reader to make an immediate purchase. Whereas, while not necessarily encouraging clicks, the ads on Quartz are amongst a stream of content which encourages scrolling, so their impression rate will be rather high.

There are many more variables in play when considering the audience. For example, a blog dedicated to privacy and security may bring in lower than usual earnings, as a majority of its readers may be using ad blockers, whereas the majority readership of a cooking blog may not care enough about advertisements to block them.

Anyway, the short version is that you can never compare one site to another when it comes to online earnings. Different sites encourage different behavior, and different audiences react to ads differently.

raincoaster

The thumbnail that those of us in the forum have come to agree on is $10 per month per 1000 visitors per day. Are there examples which refute that and if so, where are they?

raincoaster

Okay, if the OP’s blog hits all came from North America, what is the ceiling on earnings given that information?

macmanx
    Staff

Any specific example or guarantee would be a lie, including the “$10 per month per 1,000 visitors per day” that I have seen around here.

The number of impressions will vary greatly depending on the blog and audience behaviors.

The rate per impressions will vary greatly depending on the region the viewers are coming from.

Also, advertising is a market just like any other. The overall rates fluctuate all of the time. A rate or trend identified one month may be drastically different the next. A great example of this is the December bump and January slump. Many contracts between advertisers and advertising networks expire on December 31. As such, many advertisers are paying out extra to meet their quota before their contract expires, pushing rates higher. In January, it seems to take many advertisers a few weeks to finalize new contracts, and fewer contracts means lower rates.

Because of these, I highly recommend making judgements based on your time spent with an advertiser, and even taking that with a grain of salt. Anyone who claims to know a flat rate for any advertising program really isn’t doing you any favors.

raincoaster

You’ve been given the specific blog. Presumably you can analyze the traffic. But you say nobody can estimate income, although you CAN say it’s not what I’ve estimated, based on experience across multiple blogs.

Any specific example or guarantee would be a lie

Okay, what’s specifically correct? I mean, I could do the specific math on my own blog but it falls roughly within my stated guidelines and I’m lazy.

macmanx
    Staff

I never said it’s not your estimate. It could be, or it couldn’t. The point is, claiming one single specific one-size-fits-all estimate in a market like advertising, any market for that matter, is wrong.

raincoaster

We agree on that. But what we disagree on is the range of income available to a WP.com blog using WordAds. Be specific about that, given that you know that OP’s blog viewers.

raincoaster

I mean, you know me. I love WP.com. But if I were after cash, this wouldn’;t be my source. I know the other options, and they pay me better.

macmanx
    Staff

I can’t be specific on anyone’s earnings until we have all of the numbers from the advertisers for the specific time period to cross-reference with our numbers. Views have next to nothing to do with earnings. It’s all about impressions per advertiser, fill rate per advertiser (related to impressions, though slightly different as some advertisers may choose to pass some views back to lower-paying advertisers), and the CPM paid by each advertiser.

Also, I won’t discuss anyone’s earnings on the public forum.

raincoaster

Okay, what are your advertisors then?

macmanx
    Staff

We don’t release that information, but I can say that we are currently working with 9 different ad networks and always looking to partner with new ad networks who can offer better CPMs and fill rates either regionally or globally. Our system is set to always serve the highest paying available ad depending on the viewer’s region.

raincoaster

Well, like I said I’m earning a great deal more, after hosting costs, than WP.com offers with WordAds. The majority of my readers come from the US and UK.

macmanx
    Staff

Unless you’re comparing the same exact site with the same exact audience, it’s hardly a fair comparison, which has pretty much been the underlying point to this thread. ;)

Anyway, I digress, must sleep some time.

m00ne, sorry this got away from your original request, but please do feel free to contact us directly: http://wordads.co/contact/

The topic ‘Expected income for New blog?’ is closed to new replies.