ENTER key erases everything below it in the post

• Author

ekimyphrum
    Original poster

When editing an existing post I attempted to create a paragraph break in the text using the ENTER key as I’ve usually done. Instead, as soon as I hit ENTER everything below the cursor disappears from the post.
    I don’t know what I’ve done to make this happen. Is there a setting I’ve accidentally changed?
    I’ve restarted WordPress and it didn’t correct the problem. I’ve restarted my computer and that didn’t fix it either.
    Any suggestions?

The blog I need help with is: republicofcrania.com

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there. This could be a browser issue. Please make sure you are using one of the browsers and versions listed here: http://browsehappy.com/

Additionally, try clearing your browser cache and cookies and make sure you have third-party cookies enabled. You can also check whether you have the same problem on a different browser.
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/browser-issues/
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/third-party-cookies/

It might also be a good idea to make sure your flash player is updated:
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If that doesn’t help, let us know. Also please let us know what browser and version you’re using, and also whether you’re using the new Beep Beep Boop editor, or the classic editor when this happens.

ekimyphrum
    Original poster

I was using Mozilla Firefox v.35.0 which has been the browser I’ve used from the beginning to create my blog on WordPress and to add to it.
    I was using the Beep Beep Boop editor when the problem with the ENTER key arose.
    I switched to Google Chrome as you suggested and it works perfectly. I’ve successfully edited the post that I was having problems with when using Firefox. I still don’t know why the problem suddenly arose with Firefox. I’ve cleared cache and cookies, checked settings, Flash player, etc. and I still cannot use Firefox successfully.
    I guess it’s fortunate that Chrome works like a charm. I’ll use it from now on — but if anyone knows what I might have screwed up in Firefox I’d be very interested. I’ll stay subscribed to this thread in case there’s an answer out there somewhere.
    Thanks!

kokkieh
    Staff

Thanks for providing that info. I’m glad it’s working in Chrome, but I’m still tagging this for staff. Firefox 35 was only released this week, so this glitch could be related to that update. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix this.

That’s a very strange bug. I just tested this myself and I’m not able to recreate the issue you’re having. Did you recently install any new plugins or addons in Firefox?

ekimyphrum
    Original poster

I did not install or change any settings on Firefox. The upgrade to v.35.0 was done automatically by Mozilla.
    I’ve tried to think what else I might have done and the only thing I can come up with is that I did deselect a setting within WordPress had to do with things associated with posts not being shown on the screen to viewers? I can’t recall exactly but I’ll try and get a look this afternoon and see if I can spot what it was that I deselected.

ekimyphrum
    Original poster

I’ve just looked and found the setting I deselected. It was under READING settings. I had deselected “show related content after posts”. I’ve just changed it back to the original setting and then tested the Firefox browser. It still deletes the post contents below the edit point when I try and edit (insert a paragraph) using the ENTER key.

Well, I’m glad the Related Posts setting isn’t causing this! It definitely shouldn’t affect the editor one way or the other.

It sounds like you may have a strange browser setting activated. Can you try following these steps to reset your browser settings in Firefox:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

ekimyphrum
    Original poster

I refreshed Firefox and that fixed the problem. Kind of like electro-shock therapy — not sure exactly what it did, but it made a big difference. The ENTER key behaves as expected now. Who knows for sure what happened to trigger the weirdness, but several possibilities occur to me:
    a) I leaned my elbow on the keyboard when reaching for Kleenex and hit a strange key combo that a malicious coder set up when she was passed over for promotion at Mozilla
    b) The cat walked on the keyboard and did some sort of feline reconfig
    c) An angry God looked down and said, “Let’s fuck with him for awhile”.
    d) None of the above
    Anyway. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Onward toward the abyss!

kokkieh
    Staff

If everyone posting in these forums had your sense of humour…

Thanks for this. Made my day :-D

Glad you got it working again.

Hah! :D Oh man, I agree with kokkieh. Reading your post was a delight!

I’m so glad this is fixed now. I have no idea why that was happening.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

timethief

@ekimyphrum
    That was so funny! Thank you for brightening my day.

The topic ‘ENTER key erases everything below it in the post’ is closed to new replies.