Edit function is missing

• Author

ingridcc

@lizthefair

I wanted to let you know we’ve added the link back to the dropdown menu for now.

The designers are going to continue to work on it and they will change it again later

Having an edit button in the toolbar is a must! At least anytime I am on a post or page–I can see leaving it out when scrolling down the homepage.

Not a link somewhere on the page that has to be searched for/ scrolled to. My posts are long, with lots of photos and text, and it is much too cumbersome to scroll up or down for an edit link.

I am constantly trying to improve my past posts, most of which are tutorials or informative. Most get more views over time than than in the initial flurry when I first publish them, why wouldn’t I want to keep improving them?

Upset as I am about the dumbing-down of the stats page, that is nothing compared to removing the edit button from the toolbar! It’s the main tool a writer needs! How can it be considered an improvement to eliminate it?

The only change that would be acceptable to me would be to bring the edit button out of the dropdown and give it a whole tab of its own on the toolbar!

musicdoc1

@ galois,
    Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you. I saw the post you’ve twice pointed me to, and understood what was said there, before you pointed it to me. Then I agreed that the screen shot you provided indicates that the edit tab is absent in your case. What am I missing?

@ lizthefair, and to whom it may concern,

To clarify and expand upon point I made in a previous post, not only is the edit tab absent from the My Sites drop-down menu in a post (or page) editor, where it would be superfluous, but it is absent from any administrative page. That is, it is not present in My Sites drop-down menu on the classic dashboard page, or on any page accessed via the dashboard admin menu: pages, posts, media, links, tag, comments, widgets, each of the 12 Appearance options and 20 Settings options pages, etc.

musicdoc1

Please ignore my last paragraph. I wasn’t thinking clearly. The tab is only useful on the view of a specific post or page, so wouldn’t be present elsewhere. If it were present elsewhere, then which post or page would it open?

ingridcc

@ galois
    From your screenshot I noticed that your blog isn’t in English, could it be that the edit link has only been added back in to English-language wordpress blogs???

Seems weird, but it’s the only thing I can think of…
    It’s definitely back in my own dropdown, I’m crossing my fingers that it stays there.

galois

From your screenshot I noticed that your blog isn’t in English

Right.

could it be that the edit link has only been added back in to English-language wordpress blogs???

I don’t know, it’s very weird…

fjordaniv

A lot of changes are happening really fast right now. I’m sorry it’s disruptive for you guys! Changes are going to keep happening, and our support team will do our best to help you through those changes the best we can.

Are there similar changes in store for the WordPress.org CMS as well? With the recent changes, WordPress.com is no longer a viable platform for my site, yet I’m hesitant to commit to the WordPress CMS on a self-hosted site if it’s to follow WP.com’s lead.

mcclaughry

The edit button has been put back – I see it on the drop down again.

Thanks wordpress! Much appreciated!

@designsimply where is the edit function in the dropdown menu?
    Screenshot: https://cloudup.com/cbAmeuwr3Or

That looks like a home page. You cannot edit a home page directly. There was never an edit link for that in the past either. Can you make sure you are on a post or page?

If you still can’t find it, can you please reply with a direct link to the post you’re looking at and confirm the username you are logged in as and I’ll take a closer look.

THERE IS NO VISITORS LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GRAPH.

Sorry it wasn’t more clear! Here’s what it should look like: https://cloudup.com/c3NEAL_X_Rm

If you’re still having trouble finding it, can you confirm the blog address you’re looking at so I can take a closer look?

[Update: Wait a sec! I replied to quickly before and just spotted your screenshot: https://teepee12.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/graph-dash-site-stats.png?w=960 that is an older stats page and I was referring to the stats at https://wordpress.com/stats — hopefully my screenshot linked above makes it a little more clear.]

galois

That looks like a home page. You cannot edit a home page directly. There was never an edit link for that in the past either

Thanks, Sheri.
    Sorry for my mistake, I see the edit link in the Post page.
    Screenshot: https://cloudup.com/cuX7SGFSE5H

Cheers (and thanks again). :)

galois

No problem, galois! It’s easy to criticize pretty much everything after a change, even if it wasn’t changed. :) It happens a lot.

The topic ‘Edit function is missing’ is closed to new replies.