Edit function is missing

• Author

lizthefair says:

For the moment, we are asking that you try using the edit links in your themes and see if after you’ve used it for awhile you still miss the drop-down edit option.

If you have a theme that doesn’t include an edit link on posts and pages, or if you don’t know where the edit link is on your posts and pages, we want to know that so we can get the theme updated and/or help you find the link.

I use Coraline. It doesn’t have an edit link — at least I’m now aware of it. I want the drop-down link back in the admin bar. What kind of programmer would remove an edit link from blogging software? Where are your priorities? Why won’t you put it back? What’s your problem with that?

I meant: “At least I’m not aware of it.”

nikkitytom

Just checked again … I’m using Twenty Ten template and the “edit” is right back in position under the “My SItes” drop down menu. Everything clicks nicely. I can access all 6 blogs … and click to edit when I discover a dreaded error. For my Twenty Ten … all’s working as of now.

Still have a complaint over the stats page … but I’ve bookmarked that and use the original. So for the moment, I’m up and running.

fjordaniv

Confirmed: the old dropdown menu is back.

Thank you for listening to us.

Now about the new dashboard . . .

Oh, wait — I just found the edit link in Coraline. It’s at the bottom of each post. I never saw it down there before. I suppose I can use it, but it’s extremely inconvenient. It would be much better if you restored it to the drop-down menu in the admin bar.

timmyohockey

I am not like the rest of these guys as I am not a writer…So excuse any grammar or spelling errors, if only I had an edit button….I run a Men’s hockey league and have been using wordpress since July 2008 for the main site for keeping everybody’s stats and our schedule and such….I could have gone and got a fancy new website like some of the other leagues around but at the time wordpress was easy to use and the guys liked it….I do have over 600 people in my league and 1,000 including the summer and almost a quarter of a million views so it’s a well trafficked site….These new changes are going to make it impossible for me to stay with wordpress through: I am not sure you have any idea how hard it is to do stats and can and updated standings and scores with no damn EDIT button!!!! If this is not fixed, I will have to leave wordpress and find one of those new websites and loose over 6 1/2 years of history for my league….The guys will be bummed and I will be really ticked off….I also recommend to my father that he get a wordpress site for his driving school: but again I will be forced to tell him to go someplace else if the edit button is not put back in…

lizthefair
    Staff

I believe some of you noticed this already, but just to be through, I wanted to let you know we’ve added the link back to the dropdown menu for now.

The designers are going to continue to work on it and they will change it again later.

We are working toward a clean, consistent menu bar across WordPress.com, while also making sure our users have the tools they need to do their best work.

galois

I believe some of you noticed this already, but just to be through, I wanted to let you know we’ve added the link back to the dropdown menu for now.

No yet… (tested on seven browsers, cleaned cache, etc., etc).

But don’t worry, I have the edit link in my theme. ;)

lizthefair says:

We are working toward a clean, consistent menu bar across WordPress.com, while also making sure our users have the tools they need to do their best work.

That sounds very nice, but one thing every blogger needs is convenient access to the edit function. If it’s redundant in the menu bar, so what? I’m more interested in convenience and functionality than I am in some programmer’s vision of “clean,” if it requires me to scroll down to the bottom of a post (mine are long!) to find the edit button.

nikkitytom

It is very heartening to see that the staff is responsive to our worries about the edit function. However we are being told too often that “They will change it again later” … and for the stats page, we were told that it will be phased out.

This doesn’t inspire confidence in the users. It is being dangled on a string and is very disconcerting., People like stability and no one likes change. Change has to be an overwhelming and obvious improvement if it is to overcome the natural resistence all people have to it. It should be fine tuned to perfection before being rolled out.

The hotel I worked with for 25 years started this “changes will be coming” routine about ten years ago. At first we were all upset, then we settled into the inevitable …. but nothing changed and the threat was still held over our heads. One by one the top employees found other jobs. Six months ago I handed in my resignation after twenty five years … I was heart-broken because i loved my job … but the sense of being “jerked around” became intolerable. Today the hotel is running on temporary staff, the service has dropped to zero and obviously clientele is migrating to happier venues.

timmyohockey

And just to be consistent: if you guys take the the edit button out of the drop down menu again, I will take my 1,000 league members and 1/4 million views to another site….Don’t appease us for a few weeks, please listen to us….

teepee12

Yes, the edit link is back. It should never have left. If it leaves again, there’s a strong likelihood I will go with it. If you want serious writers on your platform, then give us serious tool with which to work. If you give use a toy platform and crayons, we will get fed up and find somewhere else to do our thing. Remember Wang? Probably not. They were a BIG force in computing, but they went their own way, ignored the users. Gone.

How about DEC? They were KINGS — they owned the mainframe world. But … they didn’t listen. By the time they decided maybe they should, it was too late. They were the largest employer in Massachusetts employing more than 28,000 people. They are gone. Erased.

And there are more. As quickly as you get to the top of the hill, there are other organizations willing to do a better job and grab your customers. I’m ready to be grabbed. I’ve had it. I’m angry. Frustrated. No serious blogger wants a fragile, newbie interface. Don’t think putting back an essential function which you should never have removed makes it all better. It doesn’t.

You’ve been arrogant, unprofessional, and dismissive. You have treated customers with disdain — ALWAYS a mistake. You’ve used up my good will. No more chances. Be careful.

teepee12

Oh, yeah. And my more 7800 followers and quarter of a million views. Like HE said. I’m sure someone else would be glad to have me.

timmyohockey

Also, if the stats page is “phased out” I will be finding a new site as well….

teepee12

I noticed that you are TEMPORARILY conceding that we need an “edit” link. TEMPORARILY. If it stops being there, I will stop being here. I have had enough.

fjordaniv

I have to wonder if many of the programmers blog or access the dashboard on a regular basis. Their design choices are inefficient, time-consuming, and counter-intuitive.

A clean design does very little to assist my writing experience on WordPress, especially if that design forces me to scroll, click, or hunt for features. True, I would like the design to get out of my way when necessary, but I want the tools right there when I need them.

I’m certainly not going to be able to focus on my next thought when I have to take several extra steps to do something I could have done in one.

This is a writing platform initially designed for a writing community. Try to understand how we work, and tailor the changes TO the way we work. Don’t force us to adapt to your sense of design, or tell us what’s best for our creative processes.

Many of us compose our longer posts and pages in external editors and import our writing into WordPress, where we’ll often make multiple changes to our documents in the editor—hence our frustration with anything that impedes our ability to do so, whether it’s the limited ability to save documents in the new editor or the loss of the edit command in the My Sites menu.

Don’t assume that we’re simply posting a sentence a day (even if we do, sometimes) or that we never revisit what we wrote.

shoreacres

I’m very glad to see the Edit function is back. I’m not so cheered that it may disappear again.

My theme is an old one, granted. But it’s the one I like (Quentin) and it doesn’t have an edit function on posts and pages. It’s very important for me to have it, and I hope that, at minimum, older themes can have the ability to edit through the drop-down menu maintained.

Many thanks.

teepee12

“We are working toward a clean, consistent menu bar across WordPress.com, while also making sure our users have the tools they need to do their best work.”

No, you aren’t. You are going for a “look” without regard for functionality. It’s bad development, bad implementation. No testing. You are NOT improving the blogging experience and you ARE treating your customers without regard for their needs.

musicdoc1

@ lizthefair,

I do not find an edit tab in the My Sites drop-down menu.

galois

The topic ‘Edit function is missing’ is closed to new replies.