Edin theme: Home page title problem

• Author

I’ve built a site using the Edin theme on wp.com.

I’ve added a logo which contains the name of the site – but this has created a problem with site title coming through from the settings of the website.

I can either leave the site title box empty which leaves a nice clean header, with the logo – but means my site technically has no title and I guess is creating SEO issues.

Or I can add the site title in settings, but it pulls through in a standard black font, huge size – and there doesn’t seem to be any option of how to change how it looks – ugly!

So I guess I have two questions :

1) is it actually an SEO problem if I just don’t complete the site title in the settings?

2) if the answer to q1 is Yes, then is there anyway I can change the font colour/size that it is defaulting to, so that it doesn’t look so ugly.

Thanks!

The blog I need help with is manorwoodsvalley.org.

musicdoc1

Hi,

I can either leave the site title box empty which leaves a nice clean header, with the logo – but means my site technically has no title and I guess is creating SEO issues.

If you uncheck the box labeled “Display Site Title and Tagline” at Customize > Site Identity > Logo, then the site title will be hidden, but still present. I don’t think this will negatively affect SEO, but I’m not sure, so I’ll call for staff attention. Staff will respond here.

Or I can add the site title in settings, but it pulls through in a standard black font, huge size – and there doesn’t seem to be any option of how to change how it looks – ugly!

On the Edin theme you may change the headings font, font style, and font size at Customize > Fonts > Headings. See the Getting Started and Adjusting Font Size and Style sections of the Custom Fonts support page.

I’ll leave question #1 for staff to address. Question #2 is answered above.

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

1) is it actually an SEO problem if I just don’t complete the site title in the settings?

Yes.

The title you add there both appears on your site, and is listed in the meta tags in your site headers, which is where search engines look to find the site title. If you don’t add a title it means search engines won’t know what your site’s title is, and this can have an impact on your SEO.

musicdoc1

@kokkieh,

What about entering the title but hiding it by unchecking the box labeled “Display Site Title and Tagline,” as I suggested above. Does that negatively affect SEO?

fstat
    Staff

Hi @musicdoc1,

Yes, the trick you suggested will work and SEO won’t be affected. The title will be hidden but will still be present in the meta tags and on the headers.

The topic ‘Edin theme: Home page title problem’ is closed to new replies.