Domain Name

• I accidentally changed my (free) domain name without realizing that I couldn’t switch back to my old (free) domain name immediately if I changed my mind. Is there any way to get this switched back?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there, if you used the changing site address utility to go from your old WordPressdotcom address to this new WordPressdotcom address, it won’t be possible to revert the change.

If I’ve misunderstood you, please give me the addresses of the two sites. Thanks.

• That’s what I”m seeing too, but does that mean there’s 0 way to get an old domain back? That seems unnecessary, as no one else is using that domain. There must be some way to override that, right?

• Hello again, I’m afraid not. Here’s what it says in the support guide to changing site address I linked to earlier:

Once you change the “example” part of example.wordpress.com, the old address will stop working. Visitors will not be redirected to your new site address, unless you add a Site Redirect upgrade. The old address will not be available for use again.

I also see that you have deleted your above site at elementswithoutstyle.wordpress.com If it’s been less than 30 days since you deleted it and you want to recover it, you can reply to the email you received from WordPressdotcom following the deletion. However, if that is the site address you are trying to recover, it will not be possible. Again, sorry for no better news.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

• Hi folks, we’ve had some discussions on this just today actually. There are some cases where it’s impossible to retrieve the old name, hence the previous policy. But in cases where we can get the old name back, we will.

The caveat here is I cannot move your content from the new name back to the old name for you. You’ll need to take care of that via our import and export tools. But I hope this helps a bit!

Here’s how to export:

Export Your Website’s Content

Then you’ll import to the name you wanted under My Site > Import.

• You bet! Sorry for the confusion on this tricky topic.

And @nathanrpetrie, I did go ahead and restore that address for you, so you can update it now as needed. Let us know if you need more help!

• The topic ‘Domain Name’ is closed to new replies.