Domain Mapping not free for excisting domain purchased through wp.com?

• Author

So,

In another thread, a WordPress introduced me to member sites:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/tutorials/build-a-membership-website-tutorial/

and related to it, subdomain…

https://wordpress.com/support/domains/map-subdomain/#adding-a-mapping-subscription

I wanted to try it out now. Creating a subdomain, a private member site/area for my existing blog.

The domain I have was paid and added through wordpress.com. With this particular site, I was now trying to add the subdomain members.mydomain.com and it seems like I have to pay an additional €13 for the subdomain even if my main domain is already paid. What’s going on here? Is this supposed to be correct or is this a bug? I mean, why should I pay for domain mapping if I already own and paid for the particular main domain here?

The blog I need help with is diaryofdennis.com.

deancroyal
    Staff

Hi there – You’re on the right track. Could you pass us the site URLs involved here so we can get a clearer picture?

It sounds like the main site is diaryofdennis.com. Is that right?

If that’s correct, two other questions:

1. What is the current URL of the other site on your account that you want to use as a members site?

2. What subdomain are you wanting to use for site in question #1? members.diaryofdennis.com?

Once we have the added clarity from you we’ll be able to better articulate what to expect with that setup as it relates to mapping subdomains.

Hi,

Correct, the main site is diaryofdennis.com

1. I don’t understand this question. What do you mean with the other URL? I haven’t set up something? I thought I’d just need to create a subdomain but I can’t do that as it said it’ll cost €13.

2. Correct. I was thinking about members.diaryofdennis.com and I thought it would work this way, that this subdomain would then act like an individual blog that I can set up as private but make it look exactly like my main site.

Related to question 1 again…

I do understand that I need a second WordPress.com URL/blog (site B) to act as the second site for the main site (site A). However, I thought the process would be like this…

Creating the subdomain (here I am stuck) >> creating and setting up site B

Site A does already exist and is diaryofdennis.com

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi Dennis,

1. I don’t understand this question. What do you mean with the other URL? I haven’t set up something? I thought I’d just need to create a subdomain but I can’t do that as it said it’ll cost €13.

Connecting your own custom subdomain to a second WordPress.com site in your account requires a domain mapping upgrade on that site, and this is a paid upgrade. For most WordPress.com users this in fact requires a paid plan on the second site, but as you own a domain upgrade which predates the changes we’ve made in this regard since 2016, you can still purchase the stand-alone mapping upgrade without having a plan on your site.

Should you ever cancel your domain or allow it to expire, you would lose this legacy status and would also be required to have a plan to use your own domain.

2. Correct. I was thinking about members.diaryofdennis.com and I thought it would work this way, that this subdomain would then act like an individual blog that I can set up as private but make it look exactly like my main site.

So you can do this, but you’ll need to buy a domain mapping upgrade to add that subdomain to the private site:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/map-subdomain/

Ok, the domain mapping upgrade would be cheaper for me then. But let’s say if I decide I want some extra perks from the WordPress plans…

1. For my idea, I need to enable a plan on site A (main site) or site B? Do I understand it right that if I have a plan enabled on diaryofdennis.com, that I will be able to add a subdomain to it without extra costs except for the plan cost?

I am confused because of…

For most WordPress.com users this in fact requires a paid plan on the second site

I would have thought I need the plan on the first site, my main site. Since that subdomain would be, well, basically just a subdomain of that site.

2. Even at the plan pricing page, I can’t find out if domain mapping is part of a personal plan, a premium plan, or whatever. Where is it included?

To clarify what confuses me…

For most WordPress.com users this in fact requires a paid plan on the second site

As I understand this. It sounds like I would need to create a site B first with a plan. Not on site A that already exists. But I can’t wrap my head around it… because as said, the subdomain would be part of the domain of site A, I’d think.

justjennifer

Hi Dennis- the way it works here is that essentially they’re two separate sites being mapped.

domain: yoursite.wordpress.com > yoursite.com
    subdomain: yoursitemembers.wordpress.com > members.yoursite.com

Hope that helps clarify.

The topic ‘Domain Mapping not free for excisting domain purchased through wp.com?’ is closed to new replies.