Domain for $18 is gone?

• Author

yangkidudel

I’ve been trying to purchase/register a custom domain but it only gives me the option to upgrade to a plan. I don’t need much of the inclusions right now. I only need the domain and WordPress is not letting me purchase the yearly registration for $18! Help! Did they take it out??

The blog I need help with is musepicks.wordpress.com.

Hi,

Unfortunately, domains are no longer available for purchase or mapping individually. They are included with the WordPress.com Personal, Premium, or Business plans. Please see the following page for the available options:

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

I hope this answers your question.

yangkidudel

Thank you for the response, really appreciate it. I wonder why WordPress did this. REALLY DISAPPOINTING. Thought they undesrtand that some plan inclusions are not really needed for some users. How about previous domain purchases that automatically renews annually? Do they keep the $18 rate?

I’m not exactly sure. Since this thread has the tag “modlook” added to it, staff will definitely get back to you and answer your question.

Best regards

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

Since early last year it’s only possible to buy a domain as part of a plan. We don’t sell any stand-alone upgrades any more. Accounts that already own a domain or other stand-alone upgrade can keep on renewing the upgrade, but accounts that have never owned an upgrade before, or that have let existing upgrades expire, can only purchase upgrades as part of a plan.

I see you did own a domain with us, rxyfightdragons.com, which you cancelled in January. It’s still possible at the moment for us to get that domain back for you, but it’s currently in redemption with our registrar, which means we’ll need to pay them an additional $80 fee to get it back. Let me know if you want that domain back and if you agree to the fee.

Otherwise, if this is for a new domain, you’ll need to purchase at least the Personal Plan under My Site ->Plans to be able to register one.

yangkidudel

Thanks for the response guys. At least I can just forget about the $18 rate from now on. Sad news tho.

kokkieh
    Staff

Just to confirm, you don’t want to try and get rxyfightdragons.com back then? If you do, please confirm, as we’ll only be able to get it back for a few more days until our registrar deletes it, at which point anyone will be able to buy it again.

The topic ‘Domain for $18 is gone?’ is closed to new replies.