Does anyyyyoe know how to make Typekit WORK?

• @tt, the trial scheme gives you two fonts, not one. It limits you to one website. Here’s the pricing page:
    https://typekit.com/plans

• @tt, the trial scheme gives you two fonts, not one. It limits you to one website. Here’s the pricing page:
    https://typekit.com/plans

• $25.00 per year every year to have browser specific fonts that won’t necessarily display the same way to all my readers – no freaking way! I don’t spend my time admiring the front of my blog. I’m busy in the backend blogging for my readers.

• @tt,

TypeKit DOES display in all browsers. I have not yet found one browser that doesn’t render my selected font correctly. I for one, am very happy to have “my” chosen fonts – I think some of the more artsy folk will agree. It’s a huge step in the design world, that’s for sure!

:)

• I’m [still] with ballistic84 & teammissou; I suppose at some point this will make sense, but on Safari all I see is the ‘Powered by’ logo, nothing in the Selector. It’s fine they get their plug…ideally it will work soon.

• @mindonmediasales
    This is from the TypeKit Font Pricing Page:

What browsers are supported?
    All widely distributed browsers support the CSS @font-face technology required for advanced web typography. This includes Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.

• @mindonmediasales

When you added your chosen font and the Kit Editor launched, did you add the CSS selectors you wanted your chosen font to replace in the provided “add” tab? This is where I was stumped at first. You’ll have to tell TypeKit exactly what areas of your blog you wish to have TypeKit fonts. If done correctly, it WILL work.

Are you using the IE Web Developer or Firefox’s ‘Firebug’ add-ons to help you in identifying the “selectors”? This was my savior. Play around with these tools for a bit, and add the correct selector names in the required tab in the Kit Editor, and it WILL work. FYI: there will already be one selector in this tab. It’s your font name. Leave this alone.

Don’t forget to copy & paste the “Kit ID” in your dashboard and clike UPDATE ID. (in your appearance tab, typekit fonts.

Also, click save on the bottom left side of the selector area, then don’t forget to hit PUBLISH in your Kit Editor once you’ve added the CSS selectors.

Let me know if I can help further.

• Hey @imaprile,

Well, if YOU say it works [after having what looks like the same/nearly same issues], then yes, I missed a step somewhere. Not ‘Publish’, though, so it is somewhere else. While I had to get a new Post out this morning…hopefully I’ll catch it prior to the next one. Many thanks…!

• No problem. Good luck!

• @mindonmediasales

I got it to work by using the FF Web Developer add-on. Once I had the correct selectors in, my fonts show up!

@imaprile

Thanks for your pointer! I had put a bunch of different selectors in there, thinking one of those should work, but I guess Typekit is picky :P

• wow so this is where I have been getting traffic to my blog…

To add to the discussion; I did have to put in bunch of selectors because I wasn’t sure which one would work. @imaprile does that selectors you listed all works?

Stephen

• @teammisou *Claps Hands!*
    I’m glad you got it to work – YES! TypeKit, atleast to me, seemed picky! Using the CSS editors I mentioned before definitely helps in pointing out whats what! Glad you got it to work!

@getook Glad my original “couldn’t get it to work post” has increased traffic for you! :) I am now a HAPPY TypeKit user though! Yes, all the selectors in my earlier post worked. Thanks!

• What is a “selector”? As I’ve posted on Stephen’s nice blog – I’ve signed up for Typekit, gotten my Typekit code, put that in the admin page under Typekit (made absolutely no difference in what I saw there (terrydarc.wordpress.com). Clicked on update code…nothing. I just don’t see how you start up the Typekit editor. Where IS it and why are the instructions so poor from Typekit?

• OK, now I see the Typekit editor back on the Typekit page with this really helpful bit of info:

“Welcome! Here’s how to use fonts:

In the left column, use the Selectors section to apply fonts to any HTML tag, class, or id. You can also add the default class to your markup. Then, click Publish to see those changes on your site.”

I didn’t know there were HTML classes or id’s. Great! Now all I have to do is learn details of a programming language (more that the simple html I already know)? Wow! This is SOOO simple!

I see a Publish down at the bottom of the Typekit editor window. What the heck does THIS do? Just pop it into my blog?! I’ve got a DRAFT over on my blog that I’d like to test this stuff on but I certainly don’t think THIS editor window is going to be where I turn my efforts to write a nice, clean blog?

Did anyone at Typekit write up a set of instructions like 1) register for typekit…5) plug in the typekit code in wordpress appearances->typekit fonts….10) go to the typekit page, 11) open the editor, ….23) learn about classes and id’s in html,….75) hit publish….83) do some more stuff…. 276) look at your newly published wordpress post with the new fonts?

• @terrydarc
    TypeKit his a business and they provide support for their products. Here’s a link you may want to click http://typekit.com/help/wordpress>

• I’m 404’ing on the link. my semi-sarcastic point is that (unless i’m wildly wrong) that this product is not ready for prime time.

• I apologize for that bad link. They do have instructions and a Troubleshooting heading. Here we go again and good luck. :)
    http://typekit.com/help/wordpress

• @imaprile Thank you so much for being clear about how to do it!! You just made my day!!

• I’m a bit confused, you see, I just got the trial version. I picked two fonts (Anisette STD Petite SC & Apolline STD SC, in case that helps!) and I with the selectors, I put in p for Apolline and h2 for Anisette (p is the body and h2 is the title, right?)
    So, I saved that, and I tried viewing my site in IE and Firefox. In IE all my titles look all pixelly and weird, and on Firefox the body looks thin. The fonts I’m using aren’t supposed to look like this, so have I put the wrong letters into the selector? Or does it just look different to me?

I’m really not sure what’s happened, so if I could get a few tips from someone, that would be appreciated. ;)

• Oh, and I also had a “fiddle” with the firefox add -on “firebug”, with no luck. I think i probably just entered the wrong code, all I want is one font for all my text, and the other for all my titles and headings…

• The topic ‘Does anyyyyoe know how to make Typekit WORK?’ is closed to new replies.