Do we really need pagination in support docs?

• I just noticed that several of the support docs have been split into multiple pages with only one or two paragraphs on a page. That is making the support documents needlessly complex (the Move to WP.org support doc is NINE pages long, for crying out loud). Why can’t all the information just be on a single page, rather than having to wait for an entire page to reload just to read the next paragraph? The index with page-jump links on each support doc, as it has been until now, works much faster getting to specific information.

Not all of us have high speed uncapped internet, and the constant reloading to see the next page takes up both time and bandwidth. (And don’t tell me there’s a “View All” link. That’s still one click more to get to the information than necessary.)

From a volunteering perspective this is also going to make our jobs much harder. How can I quickly scan a document for the information a user needs if I can only see one paragraph at a time?

If a support doc is a thousand or more words long I can completely understand pagination, but a paragraph per page? Really? On regular websites if I see that I leave and never return.

• Another “Great Leap Forward” –

I wonder if they know that you can scroll down when mobile – the news apps I have for BBC & The Guardian both have several screens of data – I just index finger down the article – works fine – maybe someone from WordPress.COM should look at how others deal with more than 150 words at a time?

And that will break the copy and paste links I have to help people in the forum – maybe just skip things

• Hey there! We’re currently experimenting with different ways to display our support docs so that they’re easy to link to and use for users across all types of support.

That said, thanks for raising the issues you’re currently having. I’ll bring them back to the team working on this currently. :)

If there’s a specific document that you’d like to me to take a look at, let me know.

• The index with page-jump links on each support doc, as it has been until now, works much faster getting to specific information.

Agreed. Please revert.

• I have received email feedback from the last 4 people I work with who I have not helped move to self-hosted sites yet. They are very angry about the classic editor link being removed from the new editor. They do not post here to the support forums but they do use the support docs. Now they are very angry about what happened to the support docs. They hate all the clicking and want to know if WordPress.COM is going to monetize support pages with PPC or something like it. I will be helping them all move to self hosting at the end of this month. I am shaking my head and wondering what happened to this platform that I once loved to recommend to others. :( It feels as if the gods have all gone crazy to me and my folks.

• @Staff
    The “moving between WordPress.COM blogs” support doc that used to have a helpful entry on moving between WordPress.COM blogs has now been changed into a click, click, click, click piece of annoyance that lacks what was there before. I am referring to
    https://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/#moving-between-wordpress-com-blogs

I cannot tell you in strong enough language that I will not be suspended for using here exactly how much I hate support docs that have been made into annoying click fest and that now lack the usefulness they had before. I am stressed out by the emails I receive from bloggers asking me to, in essence, rewrite the support docs that have been altered by the injection of multple links. I received 6 such emails this weekend about the lack of utility re: support docs (categories and custom menus) and I’m not happy at all.

• The topic ‘Do we really need pagination in support docs?’ is closed to new replies.