DNS – A-records – QRcodes and WordPressblog question

• Hi all,

We’re preparing a site called foresightcards.com and are creating a wordpress environment for the website. It’s a website with additional content for a business game. Currently the game is in production and contains several QR-codes. All of the QR codes resolve to a subdomain, for example ws1.foresightcards.com.

In our current DNS we resolve the host like this:
    *.foresightcards.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and on this server we read the subdomain and resolve/redirect to the correct webpage on the www site..

Question 1.
    If i change my nameservers to wordpress (regarding a cname-record won’t resolve to www) is it possible in the wordpress DNS editor to use/edit an a-record with an asterix?

Question 2.
    Is it possible to manually create the correct DNS settings for a wordpressblog and if so; how to configure it in the wordpress domain environment?

or Question 3.
    What would be the ‘perfect’ approach to solve this in an orderly and convenient manner? We want to be flexible in our domain a-record settings for further development of the game.

Hope you can help,
    René

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• That’s above my pay grade, so I flagged it for staff to look at.

• Well, what you’re after wouldn’t really be possible on WordPress.com. We’re just a blogging service, and you really need a full-fledged hosting provider.

To answer questions 1 and 3, you’ll need to unlock the DNS Manager.

In order to use DNS Manager, the name servers will need to be updated.

To set the A record, please try these steps:

1. First, log into your Domain Manager by following the instruction of the “Domain Manager Login” section here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/domain-management/

2. Once you’re logged in, click on the domain name you want to edit.

3. Under Nameservers, click on “Set Nameservers”.

4. In the pop-up window, select “I have specific nameservers for my domains”.

5. Replace any name servers listed with the following:

NS01.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS02.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

6. Click on OK to save, wait a few minutes for the settings to go through, and then refresh the page.

7. When the nameservers change, you’ll see some information under DNS Manager, and a link that says “Launch” – click that link to edit your DNS records.

8. The A record of your domain should be listed as the first record on the list. In the Actions columns on the left, click on the pencil/notepad icon to edit the record (make sure you click on the icon for the same line that the A record is on).

9. Finally, use the information provided to your by your new host to fill out the “Host Name” and “Points To IP Address”. The field labeled “TTL” should stay in the default “1 Hour” value. Click on OK to save the new record.

That’s it – your new A record should go live after a short delay.

• The topic ‘DNS – A-records – QRcodes and WordPressblog question’ is closed to new replies.