Discover page sucks: Where's the rest of the Humor posts?

• Author

What the hell?

I used to be able to scroll down and catch up on the entire previous week’s Humor-tagged posts, now it will only show me 20. Not 20 at a time, mind you, but 20 in total. As in There Are Only 20 Posts in the Entire WordPress System Tagged Humor. I can only click Older Posts on the Humor page once, then it stops. Da fuck?

I can go into Editor’s Picks and click Older Posts until the cows come home, but I can’t do this with Humor. Where did all the thousands and thousands of Humor posts go? Does the Humor tag even work? Why tag anything if WordPress is not going to display it under that topic?

How do I search for older stuff tagged Humor? Where did it go? Why couldn’t you have included the entire history of Humor posts in your Latest Unsolicited and Annoying “Upgrade” That Nobody Wants and Everybody Will Bitch About For a Month? How hard could that have been to code? Did somebody run out of Redbull at a crucial moment over there?

Not funny, WordPress.

Anna

PS: “Discover”? Really? A credit card? THAT’S what you want us to associate you with during the holiday season?

The blog I need help with is allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com.

timethief

It’s a new feature and that’s why there are only a few depicted. I don’t understand why it exists because we already have Recommended blogs by category. I also don’t know why the Tag cloud is gone. I can still use this format and change the final keyword to locate blogs though https://wordpress.com/tag/humor or https://wordpress.com/tag/humour Maybe this is part of the recent changes.

I tagged this thread for a Staff response. Please subscribe to it so you are notified when they respond. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

Jesus, you have to tag things now to get a response in here? That explains my other recent inquiries that went down a black hole. Never had that problem before. Thanks for your help, timethief.

I noticed one also has to “submit” one’s stuff to WordPress now to be considered for the Freshly Pressed page. Or what used to be the Freshly Pressed page before it became a confusing miasma of media. I’m glad I scored my two FPs before it all went to hell.

I came to WP to escape an untenable blogging situation elsewhere. I think it’s time to move on to something better again.

I tested https://wordpress.com/tag/humor and found that it displays more than 20 results when I test it. Can you confirm that is the URL you are having trouble with?

@timethief, any chance you can check whether you are able to see more than 20 results at https://wordpress.com/tag/humor ? (no worries if not) I believe that is the original problem reported here and unrelated to Discover or any other updates from today.

designsimply,

Thanks for such a prompt response.

Yes, apparently back in Reader, one can still access a scroll of Humor-tagged posts.

Until this morning, I had the Freshly Pressed page bookmarked to access the tags I was following. When that page turned into Discover, seeing no other option, I clicked on Topics and then Humor and found only 20.

So, I guess now I have to go to the Discover page to scan the list of All Topics and then go back to Reader to view the ones I follow? Why isn’t there an option to explore tags right on the Reader page like before? Wouldn’t that make sense? There’s a search option but unless you hit the bull’s eye with your guess, you will miss a lot of possibilities.

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Anna

Aha, I see!

So, I guess now I have to go to the Discover page to scan the list of All Topics and then go back to Reader to view the ones I follow?

There’s a topic for virtually anything (not just the ones that were in the tag cloud before), so just type a topic in the search box under the “Tags” heading to open any of them. It will get saved in the sidebar and if you don’t want to keep it there just click the “x” next to it to remove it.

Why isn’t there an option to explore tags right on the Reader page like before? Wouldn’t that make sense? There’s a search option but unless you hit the bull’s eye with your guess, you will miss a lot of possibilities.

I don’t think you need to hit a bull’s eye necessarily. In fact, you might even find way more interesting things in a search compared to a click on a tag cloud. You won’t be limited to the most-used tags which can be overrun sometimes and people tend to start trying to game them and abuse them to “get in” on the traffic. It’s possible a tag listing will be added again in the future if we can find a way to show top tags in a better way (this could involve making a better algorithm, for example).

Discover is a new addition to the mix and is curated—the Editorial team is really excited about that project. The collection there, like Freshly Pressed, will grow over time. It’s good to reset and improve things like this and keep the web moving forward.

timethief

I tested https://wordpress.com/tag/humor and found that it displays more than 20 results when I test it. … @timethief, any chance you can check whether you are able to see more than 20 results at https://wordpress.com/tag/humor ? (no worries if not) I believe that is the original problem reported here and unrelated to Discover or any other updates from today.

Yes, I can confirm I can view more than 20 entries.

timethief

@allthoughtswork
    Staff have now announced the new Discover page here https://dailypost.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/discover/

rantingcrow

So isn’t Discover just a fancier name for recommendations.

Second if it is like the old Pressed on WP Than it isn’t all that new is it?

Seriously trying to keep cool these days with WordPress.

timethief

So isn’t Discover just a fancier name for recommendations.

Yes, it would seem so to me. I guess that their Freshly Pressed page and the Recommended blogs pages were not enough territory for the Editors (Staff), so they created yet another page to post their preferences on and to drive traffic to them.

Yes, I can confirm I can view more than 20 entries.

@timethief, thanks for testing that!

timethief

Okay but do know that I did that prior to posting the first time. :)

Okay :) I tested it and it’s working for me, so I think it’s all good.

timethief

Fingers crossed. :)

I’m amazed as I’m finding out new bloggers don’t comprehend the link structure. I use the link structure to get to where I want to go.

I do the same, but yes, I don’t think it’s common.

The topic ‘Discover page sucks: Where's the rest of the Humor posts?’ is closed to new replies.