Disappointed in new WordPress

• Author

Feedback regarding the upgrades to WordPress.
    I am very disappointed in the new wordpress editor. I am not able to edit in the same width as the internet page so it is extremely hard to understand if my photos will remain on the same line. I have to preview it frequently. I found a way to get back to the old editor and plan to continue using that method. If WordPress insists on using the new editor please find a way to make it easier to use. Its too bubbly and everything is enlarged. The old one was perfect.

The blog I need help with is weekendsinwool.wordpress.com.

timethief

lizthefair
    Staff

Its too bubbly and everything is enlarged

We collect and report all the feedback we get on new features so I want to make sure I understand what you mean here.

By “enlarged” do you mean the edit box is wider than your post column (which causes the problem you mentioned with the photos)?

As for bubbly, Is this mostly about not liking the look of the page or is it also making it harder to post? If it’s making it hard to post, could you give me a specific example?

Good Evening,
    When I stated enlarged, the icons and format of the new editor was not fitting properly on my mac screen the way the old editor did. The width of the old editor wasn’t 100% on to an actual webpage, but it was close enough that I could line up photos properly and know that they were aligned as needed. The new editor box is smaller not allowing that same style or technique to be applied.

The old editor was easier to maneuver and allowed for better editing ease. I will say, however, the font feature does not work in either version on my mac. It never pulls up the full menu of fonts.

Bubbly is a term I used to describe the overall look as I am assuming it is trying to appeal to a different audience, but it does’t seem to have all of the nuts and bolts the old version did. Nor do I care for the functionality of it. It may not be causing me a road block if that is what you are looking to define, but my feedback is more trying to state that while change is always necessary, this doesn’t seem to be good change. The old editor was really functional and cool to use.

davidderrick

@weekendsinwool, Hundreds of people have said in writing that they don’t like the new editor and almost no one seems to prefer it, but it will remain the default.

You can, however, still use the old editor. The old thread tells you how.

timethief

@weekendsinwool
    To use the classic editor to create posts like I do, go to Dashboard > Posts > Add New
    Here is the model so you can see the format
    http://INSERT_NAME_OF_YOUR_BLOG_HERE/wp-admin/post-new.php

Here is the link to the page on your blog
    http://weekendsinwool.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post-new.php

Note that you can bookmark that link.

To use the classic editor when you edit posts like I do, use the Posts -> All Posts menu, hover over the post title and click the Edit link.

Here’s the list of workarounds all in one place:
    http://git.io/wpcom-restore-classic-ed

nikkitytom

@weekendsinwool

There have been over 800 posts regarding this same issue. Mainly asking that we be given the choice of the using the Classic or the new Editor. Many more people than actually find their way to these forums are extremely disappointed with the new editor … as well as the new stats page. It seems as if the programmers are still in the process of testing and are intransigent about insisting that the new is better than the old.

There is a petition/poll here which you can participate in. There are over 2650 cyber signatures on it. Which will give you an idea of the scope of the discontent. Here’s the link
    Classic or New version .. Vote

There are many “work-arounds” being offered. But many of us would just like to have the link/button restored to give us the option of returning to the Classic. We want the choice. We don’t want to have to employ a set of gymnastics to get back to what we’ve used very successfully in the past. Please give us the Choice.

The “main link for posting feedback ” on this topic has predicatbly been closed. It can be read as an archive only. But there are many many excellent points made.

musicdoc1

@ nikkitytom,

What is preventing a person or robot from voting twice, or 1,000 times, on that page? Dynamic IP addresses the norm, which makes repeated voting a major concern. The poll-maker.com section “Answers to Common Questions” does not alleviate this concern as it indicates that poll creators are allowed to modify settings allowing for multiple votes by the same person in a selected time frame:

On the ‘Settings’ tab change the drop down to ‘Block or Limit multiple votes’ (Medium security is recommended). Two new boxes will appear allowing you to select how many votes to allow per time frame (can by all time, hour, day, week, month or year).

musicdoc1

nikkitytom

I suppose one could question any poll or petition. One has to take things on trust. And one has to trust that people posting in these forums are genuine users of Word Press and not employees of WP. Who knows for sure …

For me there’s proof of adequate discontent in this original thread. Over 800 posts. That’s good enough for me, Particularly since many of the responses were serious and cogent. And many of the respondents had excellent long-standing personal blogs on Word Press.

Option of Choice

We really just want the option to CHOOSE. Without having to emply “work-arounds”. And we would like to have an answer as to why we’re not being offered that choice.

Over 800 posts and not a single answer to that question. Very frustrating!

The poll was set to the highest level of security, meaning a single vote per person.

Dynamic IPs, Hide my Ass, Stealthy and other programs never conceal your fingerprint and the poll settings, being the highest, monitor everything to prevent fraud.

Maybe if someone had military grade security inside a secure VPN they might break through to vote more than once, but the voting rates don’t show any abnormal activity.

If you don’t want to vote, that’s your right.

But those who do want to vote have the right to express their choice.

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll277402x1D5c4173-10

After all, freedom to choose is what we are after.

nikkitytom

@imperialtwilight Thanks for the clarification.

We’ve topped 2700 as of now. Which looks pretty good to me. And shows there are a lot of us who simply want the right to CHOOSE.

grahaminhats

@lizthefair

Moderating out abusive comments is a service. Having done so, closing an active thread is a disservice and a breach of the code of conduct, item 4 :-

“Think before you post – this is a public forum. Forum topics will only be deleted at the discretion of Staff if they represent a valid security or personal safety concern.”

grahaminhats

@lizthefair

I mean closing is as much a constriction of use as a deletion.

grahaminhats

@lizthefair

Also
    “Promote a respectful and friendly atmosphere. Every person has the right to ask and answer any questions, as well as participate in discussions and suggest new features. Welcome new users and stay on topic.”

Closing an active thread restricts that right.

grahaminhats

@lizthefair

Incidentally you are breaching my security. I have hidden my log-in name behind a different display name. These forums and the Rest-Api system expose my log-in name.

nikkitytom

@grahaminhats Actually closing a thread is much more serious and a much greater constriction than deletion of a few offensive posts. It amounts to censorship.

However that being said, we have a new thread here. And if we stay on topic … which is our unhappiness with the new changes at Word Press, we are still a voice in the forums. A large number of people are requesting the option to keep the classic versions of editor and stats.
    And we would like a clear answer as to why these options are not being offered to us.

( Here in Hawaii … we never go to sleep .. LOL)

grahaminhats

Loss of old (classic) Editor

Posted by timethief on, Jan 20, 2015:-

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/improved-posting-experience-2?replies=3#post-2224405

I hope he doesn’t know this for sure:-

You are not alone when it comes to your experience with the new editor which I shun. The intent is for the new editor to replace the classic editor. The development of the new editor and new dashboard have surpassed the one year mark. There will be no choices once the new editor is fully fledged because the classic editor will be gone. There may also be fewer hardboard navigation choices when the new dashboard is full fledged

grahaminhats

@nikkytom

Spot on.

galois

@imperialtwilight:

If you don’t want to vote, that’s your right.

But those who do want to vote have the right to express their choice.

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll277402x1D5c4173-10

After all, freedom to choose is what we are after.

+1.000

@grahaminhats: thanks for redirect us to this thread.

The topic ‘Disappointed in new WordPress’ is closed to new replies.