Determine why an image did not uoload

• Author

jgossage

I am attempting to upload an image in a 650K .png file and I get a message saying that an error occurred but giving no information as to why the error occured or what it was. How can I troubleshoot this situation? The support site contained some generalities but nothing concrete.

The blog I need help with is wiseoldbirdwordstoconcepts.wordpress.com.

fstat
    Staff

Hi there,

On which of your sites are you trying to upload that image?

Also, it would be really helpful to send me a screenshot of the error so I can better troubleshoot it.Here’s how to take a screenshot:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/make-a-screenshot/

jgossage

I am on the blog https://wordpress.com/post/wiseoldbirdwordstoconcepts.wordpress.com

I have two screen shots which show asking for the image and the result of trying to get it. Unfortunately, I can’t see any way to attach them to this reply.

I can’t see any content on your site. Have you succeeded in uploading any images? Perhaps you could try writing another post and adding a different image to it. As for posting screenshot images, if you can add them to your media library, then, as a member of staff @fstat will be able to see them and offer further advice . You could even place them in a temporary post or page on your site which could be deleted later.

jgossage

This is the first image I have tried to upload to any WordPress site. I have no problems using it in documents displayed by GitHub or on my local computer. The real problem is that the error message is totally uninformative so I am forced to jump through hoops to try and determine what the rules for image use on WordPress are.

jgossage

I have tried uploading this image to a different site of mine on wordpress.com with the same result.

justjennifer

I have two screen shots which show asking for the image and the result of trying to get it. Unfortunately, I can’t see any way to attach them to this reply.

@jgossage can you please upload those screenshots to your site’s Media Library. That way @fstat can see them when he comes back online. Thanks.

Why not experiment. Go to Blog Posts Add new , click on the Add Content button on the left. There you can load an image onto your post from the free photo library, or you click on Media Add New and then upload a different image of your own. You could try opening the images you are having problems with in something like “Paint” and saving them as jpegs rather than pngs and then see if they will upload to your site.

jgossage

The image does not upload as a jpeg either. I am beginning to think that the problem is where I am trying to load the image from. I have been unable to find a way of uploading images directly from my computer to WordPress.

fstat
    Staff

Hi Jonathan,

Can you please Sanggy to take a screenshot and share the link here?

https://snag.gy/

Also, based on what I’m reading so far it’s a good idea to clear your browser’s cache or even try a different computer just to make sure there’s nothing wrong with your current setup.

jgossage

I have tried clearing the browser cache and I don’t have another computer available unless you think that trying to use a virtual machine would help. I will try snaggy to see if I can get the screen snapshots to you.

fstat
    Staff

Send me the link to the screenshot as soon as you get.

jgossage

Finally I have managed to get the two screenshots ready for you.

https://snag.gy/h5AuOd.jpg
    https://i.snag.gy/2bNAhM.jpg

I hope this helps

jgossage

Some more evidence that the source of the image might be the problem. I was able to load a jpeg version of the image from snaggy without problem. I couldn’t try with any other format because snaggy converts all images to jpeg.

As long as the image is on your computer in the first place then it should easily load onto WordPress.com. That second link appears to show a link to a png image from GitHub.

jgossage

I have seen no way to load an image directly from my computer to WordPress. That is why I went indirect via GitHub where the image is also used.

I said earlier:

Why not experiment. Go to Blog Posts Add new , click on the Add Content button on the left. There you can load an image onto your post from the free photo library, or you click on Media Add New and then upload a different image of your own. You could try opening the images you are having problems with in something like “Paint” and saving them as jpegs rather than pngs and then see if they will upload to your site.

jgossage

I have tried this. If I try to add a new image WordPress wants to get it from a URL. I don’t have a web server on my machine so I have nothing to listen to HTTP requests. I have no problems getting an image from the free library, but I can’t get one from my machine.

Don’t click the arrow for “Add via URL”. Click the “Add new” next to it which will open a window where you can choose an image from your own computer.

jgossage

That seemed like a label to me and I therefore though that the arrow was the only active component. I was able to upload the image without problems in the manner you suggested, thank you. It still leaves the problem of why it failed from another site and the lack of information surrounding this failure.

The topic ‘Determine why an image did not uoload’ is closed to new replies.