Details on PressRow replacement, Pilcrow

• Great, thank you. I just saw that the main post explains the reasons for the change. I appreciate that.

• @themeshaper Thank you so much. I hadn’t fiddled with it before writing my comment, just looked at the sample images which I thought looked a lot different. If it looks the same to readers, that’s really all I care about… thanks so much for making it happen. Really appreciate it and I understand it’s probably a ton of work. Thank you.

• Hey WP.com – thanks again for providing an incredible **free** service that is built on strong open source coding.

To all the opponents on this thread, understand that the creator of PressRow has been trying to profit on free, open source software through incredibly unethical means. Retiring PressRow (for a theme that looks similar but is very much improved on the back end) is the right thing to do.

For what it’s worth, I’m testing out Pilcrow on my main site right now, and I haven’t had any problems with it at all. Excellent typography, guys – this is an area you’re improving on for sure.

Keep up the good work,

-ms
    http://www.thezeds.com

• I had gone through the first and second page of this thread and think that people have to get their facts straight before jumping into conclusion. Changing the theme does not mean that your blog is going to be “non functional”. I had now use the new theme Pilcrow and frankly speaking, I do not notice much of a difference, so for those that are worried about changng the theme and love the previous one, I would say, don’t worry, you wouldnt even know that it is changed except for the better functions available. Enjoy your new theme!

• Great—thanks for your input steeleworthy and kospaperyoyo. Glad you’re enjoying the new theme.

• but how does the support answers me, because they never get back to me!

• Great change! Quick question: without buying CSS is there a way to have the author of a post’s name appear?

• I’ve had offers from local news sites and MLB to move my blog to their servers, at no cost to me, and I stayed with wordpress because I liked this format. The new style is nowhere near what I’d like to use. Most of the other templates do not meet my needs. I see myself leaving wordpress if this change is implemented.

• I think in a couple weeks I need to take a week or so off.

:-)

• goodbye, pressrow, i’ll miss you. pilcrow doesn’t look too different from pressrow. in some cases, it looks better. for example, i like the sidebar (though i’m not thrilled that i will have to resize an image i have there), and the comment threads look cleaner. i like the more definitive color change between original comments and the replies. howevah (because there is always an howevah), ditto on the problem with youtube being cut off in the comments, and i don’t like the calendar at all. i didn’t set up the blog myself, so i’m uncertain what can be tweaked and what can’t, but hopefully i’ll figure it out as i go along.

p.s. is it possible to include google friend on wordpress blogs? i tried installing a widget, but it didn’t work.

• If you’re using custom CSS with PressRow we’ve made a short list of some of the differences between the two themes that might affect your styles.

I have absolutely no idea to what any of this defines. I’ve got a picture of my own as the Header. So I take it it’s going to disappear? I won’t like that at all since on my About Me tab I refer to that picture because it is where I worked all my life and ties in to half of what I write about. All I know anytime I’ve came to these forums about anything I get attacked by the same individuals with sarcasm.

I will be happy if the editation becomes easier. Because I find this the most time consuming aggravating thing on my Blog. Sometimes I can lay down a blog in 20 minutes, but it takes 4 hours to edit it the way you want it. Between Visual and HTML it’s a nightmare.

I know how to sign in and write, I’m no computer whiz. Whatever changes come it can’t be anymore confusing than wondering why you can’t edit how you want things on your blog. Or can it?

• Buongiorno everyone.
    Sorry for my English, but I am Italian:)

1) I tried to switch and it appears as always, that means that the layout dose not seem changed. The only difference is an “error”, I hope, in charachter of Most Recent Articles: it is little, black instead grey and so on.

2) I did not try to check the performancy (widget and so on), but I will do it as soon as possible.

3) Is it possible with Pilcrow to introduce an automatically translator? As GoogleTranslator, or WordPress has his own?

4) If I have good understood, it will change automatically in 2 weeks, I don’t have to do anything. Is it correct?

Thank you for your attention.
    Monica

• Can hardly notice the difference…but…my WP blog is mainly photographs and I notice there is now no border down the right hand side of the pictures I blog directly from Flickr (all but my most recent post). Can this be fixed?

• As finepixtrix I run a WPblog and the same problem comes up. Even worst, there are some large pictures on it, & when I switched to the new theme they got squezzed. It is gonna be fixd?

Thanks for your help

• It’s been 16 hours since I’ve first seen the news about the change, but I didn’t have the time to check out the details.
    I’m not sure what you’ve improved since then (I’ve read all the comments by horrified users) but I did not experience any major problems after activating the new theme. Embedded videos are okay, and it only took like 5 seconds to put the search box back to were it belongs. The only issue I saw is that pictures in the sidebar had to be resized (30 px smaller), but this “challenge” took no more than a minute. Everything else is alright so far.

It was a smooth transition, I did not expect it to be this simple.

Cheers!

• TO: PressRow luvers -unhappy
    I’ve been using PressRow since about 2 hours after it went up–
    4 1/2 years(?), luv it more than you, get compliments and
    my tweaks better than yours, lol! I’m usually first one
    to complain about fixing the unbroken, But:
    1. Would you like to Pay to have PressRow?
    Just a BIT of Forum “search” would have gotten you ‘heads up’
    PressRow was going to be changed –I got several weeks ago
    2. The good peeps who do most of the Forum replies gave partial reason
    with links; such as: Matt’s blog would have given you ‘deep’ scoop
    3. Short version: original creator sold the design to a corp/put
    WP in a position where they Had NO Choice but to Change PressRow–
    unless you would like to Pay for it?
    4. Fess up aren’t you fed up with:
    a.) quote marks going wrong way
    b.) Sidebar headings: serif bottoms cut off, e.g., “g” “y” etc
    c.) default ONE space between sentences –forcing
    either looking stupid, reader going cross-eyed or
    putting a character between ALL the sentences then making
    it white so it disappears
    -or doing entire piece in an editor and doing tweaks to all
    the bits after paste
    I e-mailed the designer about all of it almost immediately and got,
    no reply –or to subsequent three requests. I am tired/fed up with all of it.
    I’m rather Sure WP won’t enable such sloppiness.

TO: WP
    You learned well, thanks for notice (lol). I tried the “Preview”
    –my thoughts:
    1. Overall: every thing into place normally, no surprises –Kool!
    2. Frame around widgets, especially with photos in widget: I can Live
    with that
    3. tag line/page bottom: it’s odd, in black ground; but it’s okay,
    I could ‘live’
    4. Fonts: headline /Sidebar /text widgets
    So Ugly, Bad –so Wrong if they aren’t changed I cannot
    live with it.

If it matters: I’m a writer and graphic designer, lifetime
    studying typography; about 80% of why I have a WP blog is
    PressRow –for the FONTS. –Even PressRow users may not fully KNOW why
    they like it so much, but it IS the fonts.
    Headline type: heavy, clunky, black –looks like Death Notice, now.
    Nothing elegant about ANY of them. –It’s easy to see someone
    made the Attempt to get the ‘look’ –but Failed.

The header photo is silly, but I assume it can be changed;
    I can live with the other (slight) differences,
    and good job on getting it overall ‘close’ to original.
    But:
    Will you change the headline/heading/header fonts?

I’d like a specific answer, please. Since I don’t like any other
    template, If you won’t switch to something that duplicates the
    ‘speech’ of original fonts, I have to find another host for my blog.

Thank you for “two weeks” notice, good job on that!

• @ themeshaper Yes, the fonts might be the same, but you have changed the font sizes in the pages buttons under the header, for example. And also, the ”latest comments”- headline is much smaller than the other widgets. Seems very odd to me.

I agree to what poppy8sd says in the comment above. The (yet small) changes to the fonts takes away all the feeling of PressRow. I liked the larger headlines of the posts and the thicker font on the pages buttons.

I really liked WordPress so far, and I’ve recommended it to everyone I know. But this is really disappoiting! If I choose another theme, how will I know that you won’t remove that one as well?

Or is this change made just to make us pay for WordPress? Would appreciate an honest answer.

• Looks a little stark to me, literally….I liked the soft colors and broken backs of the original image.

Also, this is showing up below the comment box:

You may use these HTML tags and attributes

Is that because it’s in beta?

• Yes, strongly agree with others about the importance of fonts and font sizes. Please don’t change anything about fonts.
    Also, please get rid of the gray border around widgets — very clunky looking.
    And — I see a lot more blue type on the page, which is ugly and distracting.
    I want my pages to look serious, stylish, and professional. I spend hours researching, writing, editing, and illustrating my posts and it will all be wasted if the theme looks like an amateurish mishmash. Every little detail counts.

• @chouchouslittleworld Someone from the Theme Team should be contacting you very soon.

@leoafricanus Not at the moment. That may be something we add to the theme in the future.

@nonnie9999 If you run into any problems please don’t hesitate to contact us in support.

@longshotsblues The code there is only for blogs using the Custom CSS upgrade with PressRow. Your custom header image should transfer over automatically once you make the switch. If for someone reason it doesn’t, let us know and we’ll manually reset it for you.

@ettuar The smaller Recent Articles title is a display bug that should be corrected soon. And, yes, PressRow will automatically be upgraded to Pilcrow in 2 weeks. (Also, feel free to contact us in support en Italiano if it’s easier for you.)

@finepixtrix @wevelostcontrol We’ll take a look at that right away.

@poppy8sd Thanks for your input! We really appreciate the perspective of a long-time PressRow user. We’ve tried to keep a similar feel between the two themes and the headline and sidebar text fonts are almost identical in PressRow and Pilcrow.

@ingriddim The header menu font is indeed slightly smaller. The free theme upgrade is definitely not meant to drive purchases of any other upgrades.

@patsquared2 The listing of allowed tags below the comment box is likely there to stay.

@victualling As noted above the themes are typographically very similar. I hope that helps!

• The topic ‘Details on PressRow replacement, Pilcrow’ is closed to new replies.