Depo Masthead Issues

• Author

bloggareala
    Original poster

I am using Depo Masthead theme for my wordpress blog. The 3 columns does not come out. Instead i have a very long column. I would appreciate if somebody could assist me. I erased the browser cache but unfortunately nothing’s changed. In Settings-Reading i do not have the option “Static page”.

raincoaster

Have you read the other threads on this theme? Try a forum search for the theme name to turn them up.

bloggareala
    Original poster

Raincoaster, I have read the other threads connected with Depo Masthead theme and i wrote there. I didn’t found the answer to this issue.

qaan

I had the same issue. I sent a feedback to the staff but somehow i resolved it before their reply by checking the “WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically ” at SETTINGS / WRITING. Everything was back to normal. Hope it helps…

One question with depo masthead. In the main page with 3 columns, if I send some post with a youtube video in it, it doesnt automatically shrink like it does in the Fjords04 theme to fit in the column. In stead you can see part of the video. Has anyone got a solution for that?

I have the same problem… and perhaps we should send in a support quest?

@qaan & livingjourney: One solution is to scale down the video. Instead of [youtube=URL], you write [youtube=URL&w=300]. But this way the video will remain small after the post moves off the first triad of posts. Perhaps you can then edit it again and remove the width indicator.

Another solution is to use the “more” tag before the video. Again with a complication! DePo doesn’t display the default one – you must customize it:
    <!--more PLACE_THE_PHRASE_YOU_LIKE_HERE-->

And, yes, send word to Support.

bloggareala
    Original poster

Already sent a support quest. As soon as i will receive an answer i will let you know. I hope a Key Master will see our posts and will assist us in order to solve this issue.

Qaan, checked and unchecked that option. Nothing’s changed.

bloggareala
    Original poster

Does somebody knows whether or not those important persons from WordPress are reading our quests? It’s unbelievable, i sent the quest yesterday and they didn’t answered yet.

bloggareala
    Original poster

Finnaly i received this e-mail from WordPress:

Hi,
    This happened because you did have the front page set to a static page, but you couldn’t see the option because you had turned the only page into a private page (weird). To fix it, we created a test page, then updated the Settings > Reading option to “your latest posts” and then deleted the test page. Check it out:
    http://bloggareala.wordpress.com/

hanni

Hi guys, sorry that for the frustrations; is everyone here sorted out?

profbwoman

no.

the archives button does not work. it shows about 10 recent posts and then at the bottom shows a link for 2007. The 2007 page only shows 10 posts from December.

There is no link, arrow, or other form of getting from the first three posts to the next set of posts either.

I sent a question asking if these things could be fixed and got no response. I also asked if there was likely to be a similar theme, same color scheme and buttons, in the older format (two column with clear indicators of how to get from one post to another) and got no response.

As it is, this is one of the only designs on wordpress that retains ADA required font size and is my favorite for color scheme and clarity of text, but with the buttons not working, the snark on the side of the comment bubbles, and the problems with navigation in general I have lost over 75% of my returning readers and hits for my new posts (vs. my bookmarked established posts). I’ll be spending the weekend moving my widgets back to a single column and switching to a different theme. It is really a shame b/c it seems these are easy fixes.

Everybody who comes by has the initial wow response and then complains about navigation (either emailing me or you can tell by looking at how many times they repeatedly hit the archive button trying to get to other pages). Am I really the only one having this problem?

vivianpaige

@profbwoman – the issue of the 10 posts in the archives has been addressed in another thread. You have to change the number of posts to show on a page (under dashboard>settings>reading).

Seems to be that the only way to navigate to the next or previous post is to actually be on the individual post page, not on the front page of the blog.

@vivian
    I’m not so sure it is completely resolved.

If you have 300 posts for 2008 and you go to archives (with it set for 10 posts per page) you will see the 10 latest 2008 posts, but the link at the bottom of the page takes you back to 2007, not to the next 10 from 2008.

I just double checked, and it is still b0rked in this regard. In my case on my test blog, I would have to go to settings > reading and set my blog to display 300 posts per page to be able to view all 300 with a date in 2008.

vivianpaige

I didn’t know that – sorry. I was relying on what was posted in that other thread.

Yeah, I didn’t realize at that time that this issue was a little more complicated. The number of posts in settings > reading does control how many posts are shown on the archive page, but the links at the bottom are still broken.

vivianpaige

Another theme not ready for prime time :(

Yes. It seems like the trend de jour.

profbwoman

thanks to you both. I did figure that out with tinkering but I have way more than 300 posts for 2008 and 2007 so that fix does not work for me either.

It is really frustrating to find a format that I really like in every other regard and then find it so lacking on the basics, like reading more than 3 posts . . . or buttons that work or are even in order of the date you made them if they are links to pages . . .

I’m changing over to a new one now but I’m so enamored with this one that I actually started checking other bloghosts to see if they had a similar layout that actually works. pathetic.

Is there any way to show the author’s name on a post?

The topic ‘Depo Masthead Issues’ is closed to new replies.