Delicious widget and traffic

• I am curious about something that I may have been missing concerning Delicious. I have a Delicious widget in my sidebar, but I have not been getting much activity from delicious from what I can tell. I do not know if I need to put any tag (s) or code (s) in my delicious box in the presentations section of my blog.

I have also found that it is very time consuming to go to delicious, enter my password, then go through the process of entering my posts, tags and the like. I do not even know if my post (s) that I have been including there at Delicious’s site (only about 3 or 4) have been read by anyone. Can someone please provide any wisdom or experience on this topic, i.e. how to get traffic to come to my site via delicious?

Thank you for your time and kindness.

• Theres a couple of handy extensions for Firefox that allow you to open your del.icio.us in a sidebar, and add to, subtract from etc from there. There’s also one which add’s a button on your toolbar with a “add to del.icio.us” so when you’re on a site you want to add, just click that button and enter a description. Thats only for getting the links, and organizing them.

The only option I found at wordpress.com for putting it on your blog was a text link. I think all the usual del.icio.us widgets are not allowed here, although I could be wrong.

There are more, but the two I mentioned.

del.icio.us post
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/527

Another del.icio.us sidebar
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2050

• Craig,
    I use the firefox extensions that dirk has explained and given you the links for above. However, I have never received much traffic to my blog from de.lici.ous.

On the other hand, I have received a great deal of traffic from stumbleupon http://www.stumbleupon.com/

I just stumbled this post of yours so your referrers and see if you get stumbleupon traffic from it tonight and tomorrow http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/unleashing-your-greatness/

• Thank you so very much time thief and dirk. You both are great!

• timethief…I did some reading on the stumble upon toolbar and some of the reviews suggest that it has some bugs. What is your experience with Stumble Upon and how do I stumble my posts?

I have done some reading on their site and have yet to figure how to stumble my posts. Thank you for your kindness and time.

• Although I have heard of bugs none ever effected me and the updates seem to have addressed the problems that apparently existed.
    One does not stumble one’s own posts. Members of stumbleupon who feel a particular post on another blogger’s blog is worth drawing community attention to stumble it. This is done by clicking on the thumbs up button on the toolbar and providing a review of the blog post in the form that appears.
    I’m not the correct person to give you instructions on setting up for stumbleupon. I simply followed the instructions and experienced no problems.

• Thank you so very much. Are you saying that I can post on Stumble Upon, but then the community needs to encourage others to visit my blog/post?

In the event that I can post to Stumble Upon, how do I do that at their site. I tried to figure it out earlier, but could not find a place to post. Any suggestions?

• No. Do not post your own stuff to Stumble; you’ll look cheezy. Only Stumble other people’s things, and wait for them to Stumble yours. To do otherwise is a big no-no.

You don’t post to their site; it’s not like Digg. You have a toolbar installed in your browser and when you find something you like, you hit the button and it automatically Stumbles it.

• Well explained raincoaster :)
    When I think a particular post on another blogger’s blog is worth drawing community attention to I stumble it. This is done by clicking on the thumbs up button on the toolbar and the providing a review of the blog post in the form that automatically appears. Then I click “submit” and that’s it.

• Thank you for your input and help. You both have been a big help along the way. Thanks so much raincoaster and timethief.

I had something strange happen tonight. I had one person read all of my posts plus my comments and everything that has to do with my site. I had 99 page views according to sitemeter from that individual in a 24 minute period. I think they either copied or speed read my material.

Do you believe I have anything to be alarmed about at this time? I am powerless over people copying my material. Hopefully they are not going to pirate or steal my material. Any thoughts raincoaster, timethief or any one else that wants to weigh in on this matter. Thanks. Craig

• Maybe they just really liked your site? But I have sometimes checked 30 pages or so of sites that I’m behind on in reading.

• That’s probably just a bot indexing your pages. I wouldn’t worry about it; the only unusual thing about it is that they clicked through that many pages.

You’re right: you ARE powerless over people copying your material. So it makes no sense to worry about it, right?

• I agree raincoaster and nosysnoop. Thank you for you input. Have a great day.

• Per the delicious widget, do I need to insert some code into the widget for it to be visible to me? I recently moved the delicious widget to below my top posts, however delicioius is not showing any button. ??? Got any suggestions?

• You need to register at delicious and format the widget with your account information like your page.

• Raincoaster I am registered with delicious. How do I format the widget with my account information like your page? May sound simple, but I am not seeing how to do that task. I have been registered with delicious for several months. Thanks for your time and kindness.

• Just to clarify something, the del.icio.us widget isn’t a source of traffic. It’s a way for you to display your bookmarks at del.icio.us.

It isn’t like the Digg This code.

• I have absolutely no idea how to format the delicious widget, which is why I don’t use it.

• I consider it to be sidebar useless “tat” so I have never displayed mine.

• The topic ‘Delicious widget and traffic’ is closed to new replies.