Deleted administrator still has access

• Author

rogerfitton

I have a simple, free account – no extras such as plugins etc. It previously had one other Administrator, besides myself. He has now been removed the User page only shows myself.
    However, the previous Administrator can still access and edit the site.
    What am I missing, please?

Hi there,

Is this in regards to wagb91old.wordpress.com? I see that you removed a few users from the account about 3 hours ago. I do only see you connected to the site at the moment. What has been edited under the account by that user since they have been removed and how recent was this edit?

For more information, please visit:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/user-roles/#removing-users

Thanks,

rogerfitton

You have correctly identified my site, but at the time of the event it was called wagb91.
    It was not a one-stage process.
    Several days ago there were four authorised authors / administrators.
    One of them – Jingle, I think he called himself requested to be removed.
    He later told me that he still had access.
    We checked it while he was on the phone, even though he wasn’t on the authors(?) page. He still had access. (We didn’t go into great detail – I thought I must have missed some setting).
    For slightly different reasons I copied the site to wagb91old as an experiment.
    At some stage I removed all other authors / administrators.
    Now I find that I can’t copy the site back, even though I read one post which said that WordPress went to great lengths to stress that this would happen. I didn’t see such dire warnings.
    Now I’ve lost all my readers. But that’s another story.

kokkieh
    Staff

Several days ago there were four authorised authors / administrators.
    One of them – Jingle, I think he called himself requested to be removed.
    He later told me that he still had access.

From what I can see, up to a week ago that site had four admin users: your account, an account with the username, jangle95 which was added two months ago, and the accounts, wags91 and wearelegionwearebob that were added seven months ago.

Based on our logs, your account removed all three of them four days ago, so none of them have access to the site dashboard any more, and the site is no longer listed under any of their accounts. If one of them are still able to access the site, they most likely still have data from the site cached in their browsers, but they no longer have access to the site and any attempt by any of them to make changes to the site via a cached page will fail with an error that they don’t have authorization to make those changes. Once they clear their browser cache they wouldn’t be able to access anything any more.

For slightly different reasons I copied the site to wagb91old as an experiment.
    At some stage I removed all other authors / administrators.
    Now I find that I can’t copy the site back, even though I read one post which said that WordPress went to great lengths to stress that this would happen. I didn’t see such dire warnings.

I can see that you made an address change on the site yesterday. That doesn’t copy anything, but switches the entire site, as is, to another address, deleting the old address in the process.

There are indeed warnings in the interface that this process cannot be reversed.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/changing-site-address/#changing-your-wordpress-com-site-address

If you want I can still restore the old address, wagb91.wordpress.com, to your account, but you’ll need to manually export and import your content to move it back to that site.

Now I’ve lost all my readers. But that’s another story.

Can you provide some more details on this? Do you mean people are no longer able to find your site because they don’t know the new address? If we restore the old address and you move your content back to it, they’d be able to find your site again.

That said, I notice you publish everything as pages. If you published your content as posts, people could subscribe to your site and be notified every time you published new content on the site. Subscribers like that will continue seeing your new posts in their subscriptions even if you changed the address of your site.

At the moment your site does have two followers, but it only has one post published in June last year, so those two followers don’t really mean anything – followers are not notified when you publish new pages on your site.

Those are the only followers this site had prior to the address change.

Let me know if you want me to restore the old address to your account, or if you have any other questions about this.

rogerfitton

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply.

1. I’m sorry that things have been moving quickly. When Jangle rang me to tell me about his access after me removing him, he tried it, and just said “yes, I can still get in” – or words to that effect. So the theory about the cached data might be correct. I can’t contact him until Monday.

2. I’ve followed your link about removing users, but I don’t recall being asked what to do with their data. (It’s not a blog – more a conventional website).

3. I’ve also followed the link regarding the warning(s). I can only see the phrase “all links will be broken”. I probably read it and ignored it because that’s what I would expect – if I try to access the old site I would expect to be rejected. But the simple phrase gave me no indication that I wouldn’t be able to copy the site back, and that the address will never again be accessible by anybody, for any purpose. Perhaps the warning should be beefed up?

4. Regarding loss of readers, the site is a for my neighbourhood community, councillors and member of parliament. It is open to all but for reading only – not for outside contributors. Only our committee members are allowed to make entries. So I don’t know who reads it. I don’t actually know what a ‘follower’ is, in this context.

5. I would be grateful if you could re-assign my site to its original address – wagb91.

And thanks again for your help.

Roger Fitton

rogerfitton

Perhaps I should have added that by “losing my readers” I meant that they will currently go to the site and find that it’s gone. They won’t know how to find it, and I don’t know most of them, so I can’t help them.

kokkieh
    Staff

2. I’ve followed your link about removing users, but I don’t recall being asked what to do with their data. (It’s not a blog – more a conventional website).

There shouldn’t be any data about these users stored on your site. In the process of removing them you would have been asked whether to delete any content they created it, or assign it to another user, but you’d only see that if the particular user had published their own content on the site.

5. I would be grateful if you could re-assign my site to its original address – wagb91.

I’m not able to do that – as mentioned above, a site address change cannot be reversed.

But I’ve restored the wagb91.wordpress.com address to your account. If you go to My Site ->Switch Site you’ll see it listed there, but that site is currently completely empty as the content was moved to the new site during the address change.

To move it back, select the new site and go to Tools ->Export to get an export file of the content.

Then switch to the old site and go to Tools ->Import to import the file.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/export/

https://en.support.wordpress.com/import/

You’ll also need to reactivate the Twenty Fifteen theme on the old address, and reconfigure your menu, as those customizations are not included in the export file, only the content of your posts and pages.

The topic ‘Deleted administrator still has access’ is closed to new replies.