Daily Prompt 08.05.2014

• Nothing wrong with raucous laughter, my friend.

You getting some of this nice weather over the past few days?

• I feel silly for posting this question here, but I feel less silly than 1.) asking this question directly on someone’s blog and 2.) not knowing the appropriate place to ask in the first … place. At least it’s somewhat related.

Why do some bloggers add a long list of pingbacks to other daily prompt writers’ entries? Is it not redundant considering that our responses are listed on the front page of the prompt?

I’m just looking to sate a little curiosity here.

• thistimethisspace · Member ·

@wolfhoundjesse

Why do some bloggers add a long list of pingbacks to other daily prompt writers’ entries? Is it not redundant considering that our responses are listed on the front page of the prompt?

Oh gawd! It’s first thing in the morning for me. Some bloggers, who appear have no or little comprehension of what the value of a link may be, and what appropriate linking practice ieveloped this strange habit of copy pasting a whack of pingbacks from the Staff daily prompt into their own daily prompt posts that you describe. When the quick easy to copy and paste pingbacks became badge like entries on the Staff daily prompts, and the bad linking habit was no longer supported they became unhappy. I’ll tag this thread for a Staff response to your questions but my answer is already in this 3 page thread if you read between lines.

* This is timethief and I’m logged in under my other username account.

ieveloped = is developed

• hi, can someone please help me?

• Some people think it’s a kind, generous and courteous gesture to fellow bloggers — many of whom get a few extra click as a result. The followers of one blog have the chance to discover another they otherwise might not notice.

WordPress disapproves of this practice and thinks we ought to use the Reader, the impersonal, disorganized and rather annoying tool they created. They believe they know what is best for us as we are foolish children in need of guidance and have imposed it on us, doing all in their power to convince us we must do it THEIR way, like it or not.

It’s a pity freedom of choice is not a consideration. I used to include links to my favorite other bloggers posts and sometimes, when I can get up the energy — since they’ve made it so much more difficult to accomplish now, it is a rare act rather than a common one on my part — but when I can I still include a few links to other blogs I think deserve attention and who I believe my followers will enjoy.

I STILL believe it’s a courteous and generous act of community between bloggers, something that WordPress encouraged in the past but apparently no longer does.

• Thanks for the quick reply and clearing that up! I thought it was something along those lines.

I STILL believe it’s a courteous and generous act of community between bloggers, something that WordPress encouraged in the past but apparently no longer does.

Building a community through links, likes, and follows is still encouraged. It’s a common thread in Blogging 101.

@wolfhoundjesse
    Oh good news! You got a response that satisfied you. Tag removed.

• hi thistimethisspace,
    can you please help me?

• When I started this post it was simply for the reason that the new grid look was not functioning, not only once but I think eventually three times. This must have been proof enough that I like the daily prompt and was disappointed that I could not partake. The staff saw to it and repaired it and we now all hope that this error no longer reoccurs. That was the problem and the solution arrived.
    It seems that an underlying current occurred in connection with Pingbacks. I read the other contributions to the daily prompt that others write, I am not alone on Internet. That is polite and part of the exercise. I have always pingbacked the other contributions saying I have been there and seen it. One day WordPress made it into an obstacle course. Whether others like it or not is not my problem. I find it a good chance to meet others and form a community, so I continue. It is still my own free choice. If someone does not want to receive a pingback all they have to do is mark a x in a box somewhere, so simple. I just do not see that this is such a drama for some.

• The topic ‘Daily Prompt 08.05.2014’ is closed to new replies.