Daily Prompt 08.05.2014

• I regularly partake in the daily prompt, make a pingback, and afterwards see all the contributions on the grid where I can visit and perhaps pass a comment. Today it seems that there is a glitch. although up to now 82 bloggers have posted a like on the subject – Baggage Check – no contributions are showing. I wrote my contribution and my grid entry with the pingback is also no showing. Is this just me or a general problem?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• This thread is tagged for a Staff follow-up. Please subscribe to the thread so you are notified when they respond and please be patient while waiting.

• @Staff
    The Daily Post Staff need to provide a contact form where blog related issues like these can be reported, rather than having them reported here on the main support forums.

• Sorry for the double posting, but I could not find the first one. Do I have to do something now or just wait. Do not want to do anything wrong or cause problems.

• Hi again,
    Not to worry. You can click the “member” link under your username in any forum thread here and locate all threads you posted into. Also note that same link appears at the top right hand corner on every forum page
    Welcome, angloswiss.

P.S. There’s nothing more for you to do but wait for Staff.

• @angloswiss

That is very odd. What is the URL of the post you made on your blog?

• I have only just seen this answer. Yes it is very odd and even more odd as today 15.05.2014 the same thing has happened. This time I am more careful and did a test to see if my pingback would be accepted, which is was not, before spending time on writing a blog. It is not working, absolutly not. Again on the prompt page I see no other entries from my collegues which they have written and this is very disappointing. Believe it or not, I enjoy writing my daily prompts and visiting others. Perhaps instead of just finding it odd, you might be able to find out why, where the problem is, and fix it so that I can write my daily contribution.
    Thankyou for your attention and assistance

• Allow me to add that this has happened to EVERYONE who tried to post to the Daily Prompt. It isn’t merely ODD. It’s BROKEN. You do not need to point out that it is odd. We already realize that. The issue is not it’s peculiarities, but the need to either dump pretty but buggy fancy format and go back to something dependable, or make the new format work … non sometimes, but ALL the time. Twice in two weeks not working? Not good enough.

• Thanks for reporting this. Here’s another example of a broken link http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/05/14/giveaway/

I’ll tag this thread for a Staff follow-up. Please subscribe to the thread so you are notified when they respond and please be patient while waiting.

But don’t let the broken links prevent you from blogging. There are lots of writing prompts available if you need them to inspire a post. Scroll down to “Prompts” in this post http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2013/10/21/writing-prompts-and-scheduling-posts/ if you are looking for other inspiring sources.

• So, the short answer is that we’re aware of it and have top men working on it. Top. Men.

Seriously, it’s a frustrating bug and we apologize for the hassle and we are working as hard as we can to fix it.

• Hello, looks like your link is not working again. I am going to write something now for today’s Daily prompt and I hope it is working by the time I post it. Please examine, perhaps the pot is full and you have to empty it?

• Oh and just to add, when it is working, please ensure that my blog also appears on the grid – and for that matter all blogs and not just those that you happen to see – thankyou for your consideration.

• This is getting old and tired. Your TOP MEN should reconsider if this lovely format that most of us really don’t much care for might lie at the root of the issue since, prior your fixing it (it not having been broken) it started failing. Perhaps it is the old format and all those lovely pingbacks seeking revenge? Perhaps there is something nefarious afoot? Or is it an ill wind that blows no one good? Regardless. A fix that works for all time and not this ONE time would be encouraging to we who follow.

• No, This prompt links DOES NOT work:
    http://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_prompt/forms-of-flattery/ and the other one is from yesterday. I know that one worked. It’s today that’s at issue. And it does NOT work.

• I and my colleagues are interested in http://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_prompt/forms-of-flattery/ and this is not working, We have 0 responses being shown and I tried a to connect with my link and it did not work, Nothing is there, just people that have pressed a like showing their icons and the title that is all. Please make it work.

• What’s not working? Here’s the prompt:

A Form of Flattery
    Write a post about any topic you want, but in the style of an author or a blogger you admire.

(Thank you, dwbb96 and bumblepuppies, for inspiring this prompt!)
    http://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_prompt/forms-of-flattery/

By default pingbacks are automatically created by the software when we publish a post with a properly formed link in it. So create your posts and backlink to that post. Then when Staff moderate comments and pingbacks they will appear.

This is the guide for creating links in posts and pages: http://en.support.wordpress.com/links/

This is the general link model:
    <a href="URL HERE">Highlighted anchor text here</a>
    This is the visual result – it’s not actually linked here in the forum.
    Highlighted anchor text here

1. Enter the relevant descriptive anchor text you want to link to first. Note that “here” is not a good choice.
    2. Then use your mouse to highlight that anchor text. (If you don’t highlight the anchor text the chain icon will remain grayed out and not be useable.)
    3. Next click the chain icon in the editor and proceed to create the link.

I get the impression that you are not relying on prompts to inspire posts and bring natural flow of traffic to them as would be expected. Instead you may think blogging is all about using the pingbacks on other people’s meme’s to generate traffic to your own blog. Hopefully, that’s not the case because that’s not blogging. It’s just SEO game-playing.

• My, aren’t we making a lot of rude assumptions. Is this because you prefer not to address your technical issues? Many of us enjoy following the daily prompt. It’s a little writing challenge that used to be fun and connected us with others. The ping-backs enabled us to enlarge and connect with the blogging community you are always going on about but which you do not seem all that eager to support.

Before you challenge OUR motives, you might take a hard look at yours. And your manners, my dear. Maybe YOU need another cup of coffee.

• Oh, and P.S. We ALL know how to create a link, or as you say, a ping-back. IT ISN’T WORKING. IT’S NOT OUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. IT’S A TECHNICAL FAILURE OF WORDPRESS.

• The topic ‘Daily Prompt 08.05.2014’ is closed to new replies.