Cutline to Coraline FAQs

• Hey, I just came back to say that the Edit feature reappeared…and the reason is because you fixed it! I just read it in the above post. Thank you soooo much!

Ok, the other problem regarding the width of the columns I was able to fix. Under options, there are 6 or 7 items that you can have displayed i.e., Name of Post, Tags, Categories, Stats, etc. By removing a few of them, we can now see the title of the posted article. It just doesn’t work if all are checked to be seen, then the irregular columns chop off words.

Next, I believe I sent an email to you several days ago about the error code that we get when updating comments or when editing posts. If it wasn’t in an email, it is in an earlier post here. The same error code is occurring. All of us are getting it, so it is a system problem. There was no change when I cleaned out my Firefox browser cache.

Again, thanks for your “fixes”… You have certainly had your hands full with this change over.

• I had a problem with my DSL and just got back online fully today, only to find that all but 3 of my widgets are gone on my Clonehenge (http:// replicahenge.wordpress.com) blog. That’s my main blog. I haven’t checked the others.

Anyway, I didn’t know about this change at all. No wonder my stats are so low, without the widgets to give information, searches, etc.

• @nancywisser Thanks for the post—I sent you an email with more information.

• This morning I published an article. I wrote it in Notepad and inserted it into the post. What happened is that it repeated itself probably 5 times. There were 5,500 + words. After removing all of the extra ones, it came down to about 1,300. Is this another glitch?

Then as I was trying to delete all of the extra words, it was running so slowly I thought it would never complete. I had to do it piecemeal…a few paragraphs at a time. Now that I write that I should have started over except I had already edited it when I found out there were multiple copies of the article.

• @bridgetteb Please contact support directly for these issues. Let’s keep this thread related to Cutline-Coraline switch only. Thank you! :)

• Hey Lance: Links in text widgets are now underlined. That’s great. Coraline is getting better all the time. Thank you.

• Why has my blog been meddled with AFTER your horrid unannounced change-over?
    I had survived this debacle with minimal problems and now you have meddled (without my asking- of course) and the heading is completely destroyed. Picture is gone. Am I EVER going to be asked what I want? I am so upset. I loved my blog. I HATE what you have done to it. I can’t even begin to figure out where to begin it is now such a MESS!!

• Lance, thanks I was able to get the subhead I wanted. As for the comment, I was able to approve it, but I had to bulk approve and click author. I’m not sure why I couldn’t just approve the comment. But it’s all right with me that this author is bulk-approved in this case. It was just a hang up till I figured out this was what I needed to do, and it’s puzzling that you’d have to bulk-approve all comments from an author you’ve never heard of before. I’d sort of like the option of trying someone out for a while… :\ ?

• Hi, Ian,

I’ve already changed my blog’s theme to Coraline, but unfortunately I cannot see the “posted by” field on my posts anymore. As there are more persons who may post in our blog displaying the author’s nick is very important!
    May you help me please!

• Has anyone relse had an issue with e-mail subscriptions since the swithover? I have the e-mail subscription widget displayed just fine, but a friend ah told he’s clicked on it, twice, to subscribe but never receives notice of a post; I’ve looked from in the dashboard and it doesn’t show that he’s subscribed. Suggestions?

• I’m having a problem with disabling comments on pages…

I’ve turned comments off for all of my pages. All appears fine on those pages that carry the default page template (i.e. with sidebar widgets etc). However, on pages where I have selected the ‘full width, no sidebar’ layout, I get the annoying “Comments are closed” text at the bottom of each page.

Again, this text only displays on those pages that are full width/attachment pages, and not on pages under the default blog layout.

Is there anyway I can remove this text? I have the CSS upgrade, but am unsure how to target this element…

• @probes101 Thanks for the report, that issue is fixed now.

• @Lance – thanks. You guys work fast.

The last remaining nagging problem I’m having with the Coraline theme is with removing the author info/‘posted by’ tag on my blog posts.

On the standard Coraline theme (without any CSS edits), the author’s name does not appear under the blog title, simply the date of entry and comments link, e.g.:

TITLE TITLE TITLE
    Posted on August 44, 2010 | Leave a comment

However, when making CSS edits and selecting the “Start from scratch and just use this” option in the editor, the authors name suddenly appears, e.g.

TITLE TITLE TITLE
    Posted on August 44, 2010 by Author’s Name| Leave a comment

The custom style sheet I have created for my blog is based on the original Coraline stylesheet (http://s0.wp.com/wp-content/themes/pub/coraline/style.css?m=1282313102g&minify=false) so I can’t understand why the author info would suddenly be added.

Again, this only seems to happen when I select the “start from scratch” option – if I check the “Add this to the Coraline theme’s CSS stylesheet” option, the author info is once again removed (although I wouldn’t wish to do this as some of my other CSS edits are lost).

Note that this also happens if I paste the original, unamended Coraline CSS style sheet into the editor – author’s name is present when I check the “Start from scratch” option but not when I check the “add this to the Coraline theme’s CSS stylesheet” option – which makes it all the more confusing, particularly to a CSS novice.

Can anyone help/explain what I might be doing wrong?

I’ve read many of the other forum questions on this site regarding author info/tags and tried targeting/editing the appropriate css element, but to no avail.

• @probes101 Here’s how you can hide it:

.byline {
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    left: -9000px;
    }

In general I’d recommend using the “Add this to the CSS” option, since that way you can keep only a few CSS rules, and let the theme do the rest. Your Custom CSS would only include the rules you want to change—not everything. It also ensures that you receive future fixes automatically.

If you use “Start from scratch” make sure you pull down the entire original stylesheet, which should already have the above rule in it.

• @Lance. Thanks again. Brilliant, quick service. Much appreciated.

And yes, I had pulled down the entire original style sheet, I think, but this rule wasn’t in it, strangely.

Thanks again.

• The topic ‘Cutline to Coraline FAQs’ is closed to new replies.