Customize Search

• I am working on creating a website for an academic journal. I would like to have a search page that is able to search robustly within articles. Currently, articles exist as pages in WordPress, with the text entered into the page. I am wondering if there is a way to search for particular parts of the text: can I create metadata tags of some sort for the author, abstract, keywords, etc and can a search be used to search just those specifically tagged bits of text?

• Hi,

Can you please share the URL of the WordPress.com website you want assistance with?

Thanks,

• The website needs to remain in Under Construction mode; would you be able to tell me if the kinds of search capabilities I describe above are at all a possibility?

• Hello @sreenan1227,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

If I have not misunderstood your query, you want to know more about the search results by the Search Widget used on a WordPress website.

Let me describe what you can expect from it:

The Search widget will return results from the titles and the bodies of your posts and pages, and from media titles, alt text, file names, and single image captions. It will <strong>not</strong> return results from widgets, comments, categories, gallery captions or other text, or tags.

Also, note that the search results will display posts with the matching term in the post title in reverse-chronological order. Then, it will display posts with the matching term in the post body in reverse-chronological order. So for example, if you have just published a post about Michigan titled “This Weekend,” and you also have an older post titled “Michigan,” searching for ‘Michigan’ will display that older post, with Michigan in the title, at the top of the list.

I hope this helps!
    Thank you,

Regards,

• I am adding the description again as it is difficult to read from the above block.

“The Search widget will return results from the titles and the bodies of your posts and pages, and from media titles, alt text, file names, and single image captions. It will not return results from widgets, comments, categories, gallery captions or other text, or tags.

Also, note that the search results will display posts with the matching term in the post title in reverse-chronological order. Then, it will display posts with the matching term in the post body in reverse-chronological order. So for example, if you have just published a post about Michigan titled “This Weekend,” and you also have an older post titled “Michigan,” searching for ‘Michigan’ will display that older post, with Michigan in the title, at the top of the list.”

Thanks,

• The topic ‘Customize Search’ is closed to new replies.