"Crafty" Theme doesn't work in IE 8 – Help

• I selected the “crafty” theme for my blog and got it all setup. I use a Firefox browser. Today I opened my blog in Internet Explorer, only to find that it does not display the blog properly at all. I checked another blog using the same theme and their blog did not display properly either. I really want to use this theme. Is there a fix for this problem? (Not just to update IE, I want other people who still have IE 8 to be able to view my blog correctly too.)

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I’m viewing it in IE8 and wanting to know exactly what you are concerned about please. There are always variations between displays in different browsers and IE8 is old. IE10 is the most recent version.

Crafty is a responsive width theme. Responsive width means the layout adapts depending on the size of the device being used to view your site. When responsive width themes are viewed on mobiles sidebars appear below the posts in order to provide as much space as possible for reading.

• Thank you for responding.

I am viewing in a standard size desktop monitor. The blog post display area is spread out across the whole width of the monitor and the left sidebar is displaying at the bottom of the page rather than on the left of the blog display. Also, there are style differences, color and shape style aspects are missing from the theme header and sidebar. I am not so concerned about those because they don’t affect my viewers experience.

I know that IE 10 is the latest version, but my audience consists primarily of viewers who are older and are not the kind of people who are regularly getting the latest in software or browser update so it is important to me that my blog can be used and viewed by the majority of users. I always try to keep my website code simple enough for at least the last couple of years of browsers to display as well as the newer. I would sure like it if this theme code could be simple enough to allow it to display correctly in IE 8.

Do you know of any way to make that happen?

• I’ll tag this thread for a Themes Staff response. Please subscribe to the thread so you are notified when they respond and please be patient while waiting.

• The WordPress.com themes are no longer reviewed for IE8 support. We do occasionally check them upon request if there are major functional discrepancies for a theme in IE8 compared to other browsers, but I would consider the sidebar at the bottom of the page more of a style issue (where that content is still readable) than something that must be updated for the theme to be functional.

Here are the browsers that WordPress.com does support: http://browsehappy.com/

If you really do need a theme that works well in IE8, then you might consider looking through the older theme designs at http://theme.wordpress.com/ because those are the ones that will most likely look similar in IE8 compared to newer browsers.

• The topic ‘"Crafty" Theme doesn't work in IE 8 – Help’ is closed to new replies.