Concerns about followers

• Author

Is anyone else getting lots of followers from outlook.com email addresses? They just seem to be at random times and they are on the increase, they just concern me that there is some dodgy reason for following my blog. Might be being paranoid of course, wondered if anyone else gets these random followers.

The blog I need help with is seatounschoollibrary.wordpress.com.

fstat
    Staff

Hi there,

Thank you for reporting this. We’re aware of this issue and we’re working to block these spam followers.

I know this is incredibly annoying, but I also want to reassure you that there is no way these spam followers can put your site, your content or your private account data in any danger.

You can remove the spam followers under My Site > People, but that won’t prevent new follows from coming in. You might also consider temporarily disabling email notifications of new followers in your account settings until we manage to get these blocked. You’ll still see a notification each time in the WordPress.com admin bar, but at least you won’t have your inbox flooded with emails from fake subscriptions.

Please don’t email these addresses back – another potential reason for this is that someone is fishing for emails which they can then use to try and spam directly, and emailing them back will only provide them with your personal email address – something they cannot get hold of by merely following your site.

Thanks for replying. I’ve done what you said and I never click on any links that appear in comments or followers. I looked through my list of followers and actually none of these outlook.com addresses were there any more, so I think they may unfollow once they don’t get a response.

supernovia
    Staff

@seatounschoollibrary That’s possible, and we’re sometimes able to block them after the fact, too. We’ll keep working to stop this.

I do want to note, too, if you have disabled email notifications, you won’t get new bell notifications for people who unfollow (or are blocked), so that can be helpful too. Cheers!

The topic ‘Concerns about followers’ is closed to new replies.