Code for drop cap

• Author

hourglassera

I’m looking for the code for a drop cap – for the first letter of the first word of a specific post, NOT for all posts and pages (i.e. for the HTML editor, not for the CSS editor).

Earlier, justpi wrote in response to my initial query, made under another topic headline:
    “A drop cap is also possible . . . again, you need to clarify if you want drop caps for all paragraphs of all your posts and pages or not.”

The blog I need help with is hourglassera.wordpress.com.

justpi

One possibility:
    <span style="float:left;color:#ccc;font-family:Georgia;font-size:300%;line-height:1em;padding-right:6px;">FIRST LETTER HERE</span>

Naturally you can change all the values. In my example I used the grey of the bg of your headings, and set the font to Georgia because drop caps look better with serif fonts.

hourglassera

I think the drop cap at the beginning of the first item gives a tremendous lift to the overall appearance of the page. Just the right touch of “class”. It’s also a useful device to establish a clear demarcation between a blurb-caption and a body of text, as in the item about the Imperial German Army. Now I have to get cracking, and do the pages that the various items will link to. Thank you very much for your help. That was a good idea to use the gray of the bg of my headings.

justpi

You’re welcome.
    Now that I’m looking at your page, the grey of the drop caps seems lighter (because it’s very small compared to the full-width strip of the headings). It will look more similar if you make it a bit darker. Try replacing ccc with a8a8a8 and see if you like it better.

hourglassera

Yes, I had noticed that, and had even tried replacing ccc with something else. But when my experiment didn’t produce the desired result, I put the matter aside for later attention. a8a8a8 does, indeed, make the drop caps look better. Thanks.

The topic ‘Code for drop cap’ is closed to new replies.