Classic Editor Underline Tool

• Author

grahaminhats
    Original poster

The Underline Tool has been removed from the Classic Editor Toolbar.

Such an act is deliberately destructive and I want that tool returned.

justjennifer

You’ll want to read my earlier forum reply on the topic https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/justify-is-now-missing-from-the-editing-icons-in-visual-editor?replies=2

Let us know if you have any other question about this.

grahaminhats
    Original poster

Already read it. I still want the tool put back.

Any attempt to increase the use of the new editor by diminishing the usefulness of the old editor would be despicable.

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

This was a change made by the WordPress.org community who makes the software we use on WordPress.com. Any changes made there will eventually happen here as well, as that’s the software we use. You can see the announcement of this change here:

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2016/10/28/editor-changes-in-4-7/

The reason they removed Underline is because Underline should never be used in online publishing. On the internet Underline has a very specific meaning – to indicate a clickable link – unlike print publishing where it is used to indicate headings or sometimes emphasis.

And they removed Justify because inline justification like the editor used causes problems on mobile phone browsers. It’s better to apply justification to your entire theme using custom CSS.

In both cases it also causes issues with readability, especially for visually impaired users using screen readers, so it’s also an accessibility issue.

I know these reasons might not matter to you, and the change is definitely jarring – I use Justify myself in all my posts – but this is not something we can change back unless WordPress Core decides to change it back first. In both cases you can still use keyboard shortcuts, as @justjennifer indicated in the other thread, and both options are currently still available in the My Sites editor, though I can’t promise you it will stay that way.

grahaminhats
    Original poster

@kokkieh
    Since underline is still available by a hotkey, your explanation is nonsense. All the more so, because underlines do not show for published links unless manually applied.

Regardless of what .org do, we are

you

r customers. We pay your wages. WP’s attitude is slowly destroying it from within. It is pitiful to watch.

grahaminhats
    Original poster

@kookkieh
    Further. If your statement has any validity, then remove underline from the new editor toolbar.

radtrad

“The reason they removed Underline is because Underline should never be used in online publishing. On the internet Underline has a very specific meaning – to indicate a clickable link – unlike print publishing where it is used to indicate headings or sometimes emphasis.”

No, this is a new invention of the “gurus” of design and that does not interest me at all. I have always undelined to make a word stand out and this has never caused a problem. But even if what you are saying were true, I should still have the freedom to go against the current (as was the case even today).

timethief

Oh gosh just give it up and realize like I did that there will be continual changes made and that we may not appreciate them but our puny protests here will not result in any reversions.

radtrad

“And they removed Justify because inline justification like the editor used causes problems on mobile phone browsers.”

Again, I do not really care. I prefer to have my website and my writing as it has always been and if I lose mobile readers, patience.

“It’s better to apply justification to your entire theme using custom CSS.”

This is not a solution, because I want justification just in text paragraphs (And not always, as in the case of a poetry).

“In both cases it also causes issues with readability, especially for visually impaired users using screen readers, so it’s also an accessibility issue.”

I prefer to loose these readers…

In WP.org people have the possibility of installing a plugin and correcting this very questionable “community” attitude, but not here…

radtrad

I will not give up timethief, this is a matter of principle to me: it is an attitude that reduces my freedom in writing.

In addition, historically there was a reversal: when continuous scrolling was deployed it was mandatory and made the footer widgets disappear, but after great pressure a third way was found.

timethief

Fine. You can beat this dead horse until the end of time but I’m a practical person so what I would so is learn how to use keyboard shortcuts like our Moderator indicated above https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/justify-is-now-missing-from-the-editing-icons-in-visual-editor?replies=2

radtrad

timethief

You aren’t informing of anything I am not already aware of. I predate that. I predate all WordPress.COM support docs. I also predate all WordPress.COM Support Staff being on Staff, except for one member. And Panos and his site are history. His site was archived years before I archived mine.

timethief

The main feedback thread is here https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/new-editor-design-feedback-thread/page/2?replies=47#post-2896459

This is just a duplicate that ought to be closed.

radtrad

No, this is not duplicate, because we are not talking about the new editor, but about the classic.

radtrad

And I know that you are part of the history, the link is for people that does not know anything.

timethief

True but are you aware that the long term plan will eventually result in the elimination of the classic editor? As that is the case it’s my opinion that asking for reversions all along the way is a time wasting and useless thing to do.

radtrad

“True but are you aware that the long term plan will eventually result in the elimination of the classic editor?”

Why is there so much trouble in staying with the two?

Why not keep things as they are until the classic editor is deleted?

In the new there is the option to underline and justify… is this temporary?

The topic ‘Classic Editor Underline Tool’ is closed to new replies.