Change background colour of the dashboard

• I need to change the background colour of the dashboard to make it accessible. How can I do that?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi –

Is this to use a screen reader or similar device? Please share more details so I can try to help. Thanks!

• No, we are not using a screen reader. The screen is magnified to the fullest extent Windows allows, and the cursor is also enlarged to aid in navigation on the page. However, the cursor isn’t there in the control panel in my sites, as it turns into a hand with a pointing finger. The thin black line deliniating the hand is not visible, and the hand is, essentially, white on white. We are hoping that, if we can change the background colour of this panel, and that by providing enough contrast, the hand will be visible.

• Got it. Let me have a look and ask around to see what/if we can do. Hang tight and I will report back.

• Does changing the contrast on your display monitor help?

• First, let me assure you that your attentions to this issue is really appreciated.

The contrast on the monitor is set at its optimal setting for very low vision. Windows 10 is set at the best possible setting – which is far from perfect, but we are able to stumble along. (For example, the high contrast setting in Windows is not suitable because it relies on black with white text and lime green and light blue highlights, and that is not useful here because the user in this context is unable to see colour: the black and white is fine, but the colours all read as black.) So we have found we have had to abandon that setting, and we are making do with very basic, black text and white backgrounds.

In the situation we are finding with WordPress, the pointer can be seen (with some challenges) when it is as large as we can make it on the white background, but when it turns into a different shape – the cursor (the large ‘I’ shape with little tabs at the top and bottom) and the pointing hand are not at all visible. The hand because it is white on white and the thin lines framing the shape are not visible. For the ‘I’ shaped cursor, the lines – even at the highest magnification – cannot be seen. Because of these issues of visibility, we are wondering if we can increase the background contrast to be able to see, at very least, the hand, which the user will need to be able to maintain her blog.

I hope that makes our predicament as clear as possible, and that you might be able to help us so that the site owner can work on her own.

Thank you again for your help!

• First, let me assure you that your attentions to this issue is really appreciated.

The contrast on the monitor is set at its optimal setting for very low vision. Windows 10 is set at the best possible setting – which is far from perfect, but we are able to stumble along. (For example, the high contrast setting in Windows is not suitable because it relies on black with white text and lime green and light blue highlights, and that is not useful here because the user in this context is unable to see colour: the black and white is fine, but the colours all read as black.) So we have found we have had to abandon that setting, and we are making do with very basic, black text and white backgrounds.

In the situation we are finding with WordPress, the pointer can be seen (with some challenges) when it is as large as we can make it on the white background, but when it turns into a different shape – the cursor (the large ‘I’ shape with little tabs at the top and bottom) and the pointing hand are not at all visible. The hand because it is white on white and the thin lines framing the shape are not visible. For the ‘I’ shaped cursor, the lines – even at the highest magnification – cannot be seen. Because of these issues of visibility, we are wondering if we can increase the background contrast to be able to see, at very least, the hand, which the user will need to be able to maintain her blog.

I hope that makes our predicament as clear as possible, and that you might be able to help us so that the site owner can work on her own.

Thank you again for your help!

• Absolutely, I’m happy to help.

The additional details provided are helpful. Personally, I’ve never used a screen reader so I was unsure if adjusting the contrast could help. Thanks for explaining that bit.

I am going to ask around and report back to you here with any suggestions that my co workers have.

With the Easter Holiday this weekend there won’t be as many folks around as normal, so you may not hear from me until early next week.

• Have you tried using Axe or Wave before?

My coworker wrote this post that could be helpful: https://davidakennedy.com/2014/10/31/web-accessibility-in-60-seconds/

• Oh. Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier… Have you tried using the classic /wp-admin editor?

To get there, just put storysoupenterprises.wordpress.com/wp-admin/ in your browser.

Let me know if that works any better. The background is a different color.

• Any luck with the alternate dashboard?

• Happy Friday –

I just wanted to check in and make sure that you’re still with me here?

A member of our accessibility team mentioned that there’s a Google Chrome browser extension that could help. Not only with WordPress.com but if this is an issue with multiple sites.

You can change the color of the cursor or make it an entire new image on the computer this person uses. It’s a bit of set up but I think it’d be valuable: https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/c/cursor/

• The topic ‘Change background colour of the dashboard’ is closed to new replies.