Can't search for already-uploaded images when adding photos

• I have been editing some old entries, and would like access to the photos I’ve already uploaded. Unfortunately, I’ve uploaded thousands of images onto the site, but I was generally smart about it and titled the images well so that they’d be easily searchable.

Except that now there is no option to search for them? When I am in the classic editor mode and try to add media, I can add uploaded media, but there’s no search field to find my old photos. That would require me to slowly scroll through 1000+ thumbnails while they slowly load every time just to find the old photos. It really doesn’t work.

I went to the new block editor and same problem. Someone suggesting that using the “this post” function could be a workaround at least for the photos in that post. But when I do that, I get the message “this post has no images” even though the post clearly has images. Will it not show me because they’re in a table?

What I really want to do is just to be able to search for already-uploaded images to add when adding media on posts. I know I could do that before, so I’m confused as to why the option doesn’t appear anymore.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

When I am in the classic editor mode and try to add media, I can add uploaded media, but there’s no search field to find my old photos. That would require me to slowly scroll through 1000+ thumbnails while they slowly load every time just to find the old photos. It really doesn’t work.

Just to confirm, you’re using the editor in My Sites, correct? You should be able to search for images already in the media library there.

For the classic editor, click Add ->Media, or for the block editor select and image block and click on Media Library, and in the media overlay that opens there’s a search field at the top:

If that’s not what you’re seeing, can you please take a screen shot and upload it directly to your media library so I can take a look?

• Thank you! The actual problem was just that the search function had changed from what I was used to (having to click on a small icon when I was used to seeing the full bar in another view) and my eyes were refusing to catch the icon.

I figured it out myself before noticing that you had replied, but thank you for the reply as you drew attention to exactly what I was missing.

• The topic ‘Can't search for already-uploaded images when adding photos’ is closed to new replies.