Cannot configure Instagram widget

• Author

pietastical

I know this is actually Instagram’s idiocy, but I’m hoping there’s a workaround.

I’ve tried to add an Instagram widget to my new blog. It is a new Instagram account as well. But it is a secondary account on the same login as my main one.

Instagram will not allow me to switch accounts in the browser, so the wordpress widget will only configure to my main Instagram. I’ve even tried to configure it from the wordpress app on my phone, where the Instagram account is switchable in its app. But the wordpress app still takes me to my phone’s browser, rather than the Instagram app, to do the configuration, where, again, Instagram does not give me the option to switch accounts.

I am going out of my skull trying to find a way to do this, but neither of these websites have actual people to contact for help.

I am using free wordpress, so third party plugins are not an option. I also don’t want to make an account with some third party website just to get my Instagram feed.

Is there anything else I can do?

The blog I need help with is puzzlehungry.wordpress.com.

justjennifer

Hi there, have you tried setting up the widget from a computer instead of your phone and making sure you are logged in with the instagram account you want to connect to your site?

I’ve also flagged this thread for Staff to note your feedback on the difficulty of doing this in the phone app.

Hi @pietastical,

I would follow @justjennifer suggestion first and try to do it from the browser on the computer. Log out from the main account, add the Instagram widget and publish it, then log into the correct account, go back to WordPress.com and authorize the widget to connect to your Instagram. It should work.

Let me know how it went.

pietastical

This is what I have been doing fro the start. And the part that is Instagram’s fault. They do not allow you to switch accounts on the computer. And because both accounts are with the same email, there are no separate login credentials for the account I’m trying to configure. Trying with my phone was my last ditch effort.

kokkieh
    Staff

And because both accounts are with the same email, there are no separate login credentials for the account I’m trying to configure

As far as I know it’s not possible to have two Instagram accounts using the same email address. And even if they somehow have the same email, they’d have different usernames, so if you log out in your browser and log back in using the other username, you’ll be in the correct account to authorise the widget.

Alternatively, open an incognito browser window, and log into the correct IG account there. Then log into WordPress.com as well and connect the widget.

pietastical

You absolutely can have multiple accounts with one email. When you are in the app, from the same place where you switch accounts, there is an option to add an account. When you add an account there is an option to create one. You make a username and that’s it. This is not the first time I have done this. Just the first time I have tried to use the feed somewhere else.

However, I have tried logging in with the new username and same password on the computer, but it doesn’t recognize it because it doesn’t have unique log-in credentials. Yet it absolutely is its own photo stream, and when I visit that page on my computer it acts like it doesn’t belong to me. The only options being things like ‘follow’, ‘block user’, etc., the same as when you visit any other account.

I guess I can try to add a second email or something to get separate log-in credentials. But Instagram isn’t exactly forthcoming with where to find those options or providing any help whatsoever. Which was why I came here in hope of help in the first place.

kokkieh
    Staff

When you add an account there is an option to create one. You make a username and that’s it.

Well that’s confusing. I can’t believe they think having multiple accounts share login details are a good idea.

In that case there’s nothing we can do, I’m afraid – the widget uses a protocol called OAuth to get authorisation from your Instagram account, which essentially lets us exchange a secure code with Instagram that allows our system access to your account over there, without you ever having to provide your password to us. It would appears Instagram only allows the primary account to be authorised in this way. So this is something they’d need to change on their end before it could work with our widget.

pietastical

That’s a shame. I remember back in the day when all you needed was a username, or even a tag, to embed a photo feed. It didn’t have to belong to you or be logged in to anything. Just a simple display of those publicly available photos. Though I can’t remember if that was Instagram or Flickr.

Thanks, anyway, for looking into it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.