Can WordPress.com blog with Author Page template migrated to a Self-hosted site?

• Author

starwise8

Hi

I have a WP.com paid plan for my site, which has a Page for “Book Reviewers” so Authors can be added to my site and their posts published, and their Author Gravatars / names appear on the “Book Reviewers” page (using the Premium Broadsheet Theme).

Upon alot of reflection I am thinking perhaps when my Premium Plan expires, to move to a self-hosted site. I checked out Bluehost info (link below) which mentions something about “choosing an Author to attribute Posts to.” Would this mean if transferring to a Bluehost hosted WordPress site, all author attributions would have to be replaced by just 1 author?

https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/wp_migrate

I understand from reading the WP.com “Help” that Likes of posts would not transfer over, which I am fine with, but because of being in the position of having a site hosted by WordPress.com already and perhaps transferring to a “self-hosted” site, I need to know exactly how things will transfer over – given my site essentially has Authors (or Contributors).

Another question I have is that I suppose that I have to wait until my term for my Premium Plan expires before going with a hosted WP site, if I choose to go that way?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Celine

The blog I need help with is bookreviewers.online.

Hi Celine,

Upon alot of reflection I am thinking perhaps when my Premium Plan expires, to move to a self-hosted site.

Is there are anything you are having trouble with that has caused you to consider moving away from WordPress.com? If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know :)

Would this mean if transferring to a Bluehost hosted WordPress site, all author attributions would have to be replaced by just 1 author?

New accounts can be created for each user on the new site. If this is done before running the import, you should be able to assign posts to different authors (rather than one author) on the new site — which is what you are seeing in step 10 of Bluehost’s documentation.

I understand from reading the WP.com “Help” that Likes of posts would not transfer over

That’s correct, likes cannot be transferred. If your self hosted site is connected to WordPress.com with the Jetpack plugin, subscribers and stats can be transferred to the new site.

I have to wait until my term for my Premium Plan expires before going with a hosted WP site, if I choose to go that way?

The plan is outside of the refund period and paid up until 2019 but you can move away from WordPress.com to a self hosted site whenever the time feels right.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

starwise8

Thank you Gemma, for a clear and quick response to my questions. I have been using WordPress.com since 2012 and I love the WordPress products, as a hobbyist blogger. The reason why I’ve been thinking about moving to a self-hosted site is so that I can use plug-ins. The Business plan with WordPress.com is not feasible for me, due to the cost.

Thanks for letting us know, and we wish you the best of luck whether you move to self-hosted or choose to stay here.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

The topic ‘Can WordPress.com blog with Author Page template migrated to a Self-hosted site?’ is closed to new replies.