can i give link to a torrent on my blog? is it legal?

• Author

aniche

is it alright if i give the link to a mininova torrent on my blog which is a pdf file?

aniche

can someone help out? it’s kind of urgent!!

bubel
    Staff

Again, if you are looking to link to illegal file sharing sites or anything of the sort, I advise against it. These are all red flags.

cadash

I would not do it. Getting banned from WordPress is a fate worse than death.

raincoaster

Torrenting itself is not illegal as long as you are linking to a LEGAL torrent. I would send the link to staff with all details and ask them for a definite thumbs up or down on it. Or just download it and upload it as a PDF on your blog (which, judging from the other thread is what you did).

incomingf5

As long as it isnt anything illegal it shouldnt get deleted because alot of places use torrents to distrubute stuff like the fear demo used torrents and like every linux build.

tellyworth
    Staff

As others have said, linking to legal torrents is of course legal. It’s not against our ToS and we’d much rather see people link to legal torrents than link to those same files at annoying download web sites like rapidshare and its imitators.

dlager

does anybody have a link explaining what “torrents” are? I can’t make sense of the Wiki definition.

deltafoxtrot

Try looking for BitTorrent.

tellyworth
    Staff

BitTorrent is a program for publishing and downloading files on the internet without storing them in a single place. Instead of downloading the file from a web server, you download little pieces of it from many computers just like yours.

The “torrent” is a very small file that contains all the information needed for the BitTorrent program to download the real file.

Torrents are often used for distributing very large files like Linux CDs/DVDs – the cost of offering those for download from a web server would be prohibitive. They’re also sometimes used for distributing music, movies and TV shows – sometimes legally, sometimes not.

dlager

thanks! interesting,
    legal torrents like a security risk to a computer. so it does sound like anything i’d have a use for, with my limited knowledge.

tellyworth
    Staff

Have a look here: http://www.bittorrent.com/

maddohattaa

You can of course add a torrent to your site, granted you have followed the following rules.

1. The material you are uploading is copyright free, or of your own ownership.

2. You must realize that torrenting material must be 100% legally owned including, sounds, images, and distribution wise.

If you have the legal rights or permission from the materials owner to do so, feel free to add a torrent link!

The topic ‘can i give link to a torrent on my blog? is it legal?’ is closed to new replies.