Can I change my paid account to the free one?

• Author

tiera1133
    Original poster

Hi, I have realised I am not enjoying blogging. I would like to keep what I have put on wordpress but change it to the free instead of the paid account. Can you help me?
    Thank you,
    Tiera

The blog I need help with is: tierastclaire.com

rachelmcr
    Staff

Hi Tiera,

Sure thing! Right now, your Premium plan is set to expire on June 24, 2015. If you’d like, you can let it expire and your site will switch back to the free plan then. However, keep in mind that your custom domain tierastclaire.com will stop working if you do that, so you’ll need to start using the free address tierastclaire.wordpress.com to get to your site. (Also, once the custom domain expires, you won’t own it anymore and it can be difficult or impossible to get it back.)

If you want to keep your domain without the rest of the Premium plan, I can help you with that. If I disconnect your domain from your plan, you can keep accessing your site at tierastclaire.com (for $26/year) but let the other Premium feature expire. Just let me know if you’d like to do that.

Another option, if you want, is for me to cancel everything for you right now so you switch back to the free plan right away. If you’d rather go ahead and do that now, let me know and I can take care of that for you.

Also, I’m sorry to hear you’re not enjoying blogging! I find that my own interest in blogging goes up and down, depending on my mood and who is reading my posts. Is there anything in particular you’re not enjoying about it? I’d love to see if I can give you any tips to make it more fun. :)

tiera1133
    Original poster

Hi Rachel, thank you for responding. I am leaning toward keeping the name for the $26 per year.
    Is it possible to receive email through my site?
    What I am not liking about blogging is there is no interaction.
    Again, thanks for your help
    Tiera

Hi Tiera,

I am leaning toward keeping the name for the $26 per year.

No problem! I went ahead and disconnected the domain from your Premium bundle. We can now manage the upgrades separately here:

https://tierastclaire.wordpress.com/wp-admin/paid-upgrades.php?page=my-upgrades

The domain is set to automatically renew in 10 days. The Premium bundle will eventually expire and get removed from your account.

Is it possible to receive email through my site?

Definitely! There are two options:

1. Email forwarding, which forwards emails to a custom address to an address you already own. You can read more about that here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/email-forwarding/

2. A custom email address, which would have a separate inbox but would be completed through a third-party as explained here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/add-email/

Do you know which option you would like to move forward with?

What I am not liking about blogging is there is no interaction.

That definitely can be frustrating! It can take some time to build up your readership. If you’re curious, we have some tips here:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/getting-more-views-and-traffic/

tiera1133
    Original poster

Hey Jeremy, I didn’t say I had decided to change to the $26, that I was leaning toward it. I still have until the 24th of June to decide that.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I reconnected the domain with the Premium bundle. You can see that here:

https://wordpress.com/my-upgrades

Let us know if you decide not to renew the Premium bundle.

tiera1133
    Original poster

Ok, have now decided I would like to go with the $26 option to keep my domain name but not the entire premium package.
    Will you do that for me?
    Thanks so much,
    Tiera

rachelmcr
    Staff

Hi Tiera,

I disconnected the domain name from the Premium plan so you can renew it separately on your My Upgrades page. Please let me know if I can do anything more to help with that. :)

tiera1133
    Original poster

Hi Rachel,
    I see there are 3 different things I would be paying for. Can you please explain them to me?
    thanks

rachelmcr
    Staff

Hi Tiera,

If you renew just the domain, without the Premium plan, that domain costs $18 for the domain registration and $8 for private registration (to keep your contact information private when someone looks up information about your domain name).

If you’re seeing 3 different items, you may see the $18 domain registration split into two pieces (domain registration and domain mapping) but both are required for renewing your domain name. If you don’t want to renew the private registration, you can cancel that on your My Upgrades page before you renew the domain.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about that. :)

The topic ‘Can I change my paid account to the free one?’ is closed to new replies.