Can add Adsense, Javascript to free WordPress?

• So, if I had paid to host my blog *elsewhere* – instead of buying the domain from WP – I could put ads on? That’s disappointing, as that’s the reason I bought the domain! It seemed easier to go through WP than another host. If this is true, is there a way to cancel my domain purchase from WP? I’d prefer to host it elsewhere and be free to include ads.

• The upgrades pages states: “We do not offer refunds on credits or products purchased on WordPress.com.”

ToS Section 2 – 5th bullet state wordpress blogs cannot be used to drive traffic to 3rd party sites http://wordpress.com/tos/
    The FAQs no advertising policy is here http://faq.wordpress.com/2005/12/08/adsense/

• Oh, PS: I don’t think
    2. 2. HOW do I do so? Adding script to posts or text widgets results in part of the html being stripped. (same thing happens when I try to put in a stat counter)
    Is N/A – like I said, it’s stripping out a statcounter too – so even if I’m not posting ads, I’m having a problem.

• *sigh* You can take your domain with you though if you want. Dashboard -> Upgrades -> Domain -> Read where it says Manage your Domain and you can change teh nameservers and repoint the domain to a host located elsewhere.

• Thanks drmike. My head is a sieve. Good to hear from you. * :)

@liveukulele – Did you use the instructions for statcounter found in the FAQs?

• Certain code is taken out for Security Reasons. At some point, Staff might entertain allowing people to have ads on their sites, but the hosting service currently does not. For statscounter, you have to follow the directions to avoid the previous post I placed about stripping out code for security by reviewing:

Can I have a statcounter on my blog?

Trent

• I don’t have a problem with the requirements for an independently hosted domain. However, with WP offering to host and charge for a domain it makes me feel like WP is bordering on being deceitful. Perhaps it would be valuable to address this in a more concise manner, making certain that people know that a paid upgrade *through WP* does not qualify as ad – able.

• Actually what isn’t and isn’t provided is very clearly laid out in the ToS and in the FAQs and the same policy applies to all. Purchasing a domain doesn’t change that because we purchase domain mapping (a service). The domain is ours and as drmike says we can point the name servers elsewhere. And the no refund policy is clearly stated too.

Domain Mapping

• Actually what isn’t and isn’t provided is very clearly laid out in the ToS

Actually the restriction on adverts isn’t in the ToS, just the FAQ. We’ve gone through this before.

• @liveukulele — That being said wordpress.com running adsense ads on our blogs has been a done deal for a year now and more are on the way. There’s strong reason to believe an adsense widget upgrade may be in the offing.
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=11691&page=2&replies=59#post-86791

Under the Post

• “@liveukulele – Did you use the instructions for statcounter found in the FAQs?”

I have followed the instructions for installing statcounter into a text widget. Part of the script disappears, and instead of an invisible counter, a portion of code shows up on the sidebar.

• They give you several kinds of code; you need the plain HTML one for WordPress.com blogs. Lots of people grab the code for WordPress.org blogs instead.

• I’m not an expert, yoitsmylife, but there’s a new WordPress blog host in town with Adsense plug-in & other 3rd party plug-ins (No javascript yet) and it’s free!!! Go sign up at [a scuzzy little site set up for SEO and Spammers. It’s already got a whole heap of junk in there. Nasty… – Mark]

• 7degreez: it clearly says no ads at the first few lines, though…

• modlook X2

Holy crap, what a farking amateur. Spammers should at least presume professionalism!

• Actually Sulz (Sorry!) it says:

No Ads. NodBlog is a free blog host and doesn’t force ads on your blog. We have the AdSense plugin installed, but that is for Your Own google account. This blog hosting is and will be free.

This means that they will not force ads onto your blog. The adsense plugin is installed for the Blogger to put their own account code in.

There are a couple of issues with it though:

1. No webspace limit? Adsense? Can anyone say SPAMMERS welcome?
    2. WordPress 2.1 powered! <- Their words. 2.1? No exactly up to date then….
    3. “For now, we’ve set the upload filesize limit to 5,” Five what? Bananas? Yep that’s it, bananas. It looks like the system is being run by a bunch of monkeys…

Off to blog this! :)

• 7degrees – you might want to have a look at the Terms Of Service on duplicate content on two sites.

• WordPress.com has already requested if their site is used as a backup, it be set as private.

• man, that is just confusing. how can they say no ads in one sentence, then say they don’t force ads in the other? so it means ads is possible, as opposed to the no ads line.

• Yeah, effectively what they mean is that you CAN have ads. It (much like the rest of the site) is very badly worded.

• The topic ‘Can add Adsense, Javascript to free WordPress?’ is closed to new replies.