Bug in Gazette search field on touch devices?

• Hi,

When I visit the Gazette demo site https://gazettedemo.wordpress.com on an Android mobile device, and I tap the search icon to open the search field, then tap the search field to enter text, the touch keyboard opens briefly, then closes again. The search form disappears immediately making a search on mobile impossible.

Where to report this bug?

• Hi,

You’ve reported the issue here. Thanks. : )

I don’t have a mobile device handy and was unable to reproduce the effect you describe by reducing the browser window size, but it may be a bug. I’ll call for staff attention. Staff will respond here.

• Hey there,

Thanks for reporting this – I will try to get a hold of an Android device to test myself – what version of the app are you currently on?

• Thanks Darnell, it seems to happen indeed only on a true touch device where the onscreen keyboard must come up (only tested android though) and not on a desktop simulating a smaller device.

• Hi ravanh –

I am following up for Darnell here. I’d like to try and replicate this so that I can see exactly what’s happening.

Could you tell me which Android device this is happening on?

Which version of the operating system?

Last, is it occurring through the theme search button with in the mobile app or through a browser?

• Hi lizkarkoski, thanks for following up. When I visit https://gazettedemo.wordpress.com/ on a Nexus 5 (Android 6.0.1) with Chrome browser and I tap the menu 3bar icon at the top, the menu opens as expected. But when I tap the search field (to start entering a search term) then the onscreen keyboard comes up as expected but immediately closes again.

On a Nexus 10 (that’s a 10 inch screen) a similar thing happens even though the menu search is different because of the larger screen size.

• Morning :)

That information is fantastic, thank you!

Sadly, I wasn’t able to replicate it with using browser inspection. I don’t have the same devices to test this with.

Could you add screen shots of what you are seeing on these devices to the media library of your site, and then I can see what you’re seeing.

Also, I am going to pass this along to a co worker with the same devices for testing and replicating what you’ve described.

Hang tight and we will report back.

• As screenshots will not show the issue (it happens in a flash) I’ve made a screencast on Chrome with Remote Debugging and a Nexus 5 attached.

This shows what’s happening on the mobile screen when I first click (emulating a tap) the menu 3bar icon, then 3 times inside the search field.

You can see how the cursor is visibile in the field for a fraction of a second and then a flash at the bottom of the screen. This is where on the device the tactile keyboard comes up (shows as empty area in the dev toolbar debugger) which then immediately closes again.

See https://status301.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Schermfilm-van-21-10-2017-225329.webm

• Thank you :) I had a co worker create a screen cast as well so that I can report this bug with multiple sources. Appreciate your efforts here.

• The topic ‘Bug in Gazette search field on touch devices?’ is closed to new replies.