Blog won't load

• I’ve not been able to log into my blog for three days now, or even load the WordPress.com home page or the support pages. Every time I try to load it I get the following error message;

‘This page cannot be displayed. Make sure web address is correct, use search engine to find page, refresh page in a bit, etc’

The blog will not load over my wifi connection on either my PC using IE or on IPad using chrome/safari, but any other page I open loads fine.

However, It will load on my phone over 3G network using safari – which is how I am logged in to post here now, but using phone is not a long term solution.

On the PC I have tried to following to resolve the issue;

Restarted computer
    Deleted cache and force refreshed browsers
    Updated browser and PC software
    Update router firmware
    Run through browser trouble shooting
    Tried to disable blog plugins but i don’t have any beyond the free ones that came with blog
    Switched theme to twenty sixteen

All this has been to no availe and I am at a complete loss what to do now! Can somebody please help me before I resign myself to starting the blog again with a different provider!

Thanks very much!!!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Awesome! You’ve covered almost everything I was going to suggest, but it sounds like you’ve hit on the vital clue there – since it works on your 3G but not on your wifi on any device, that definitely isolates the issue to some sort of weirdness between WordPress and your wifi network. Just to confirm, though, I’d try taking the iPad elsewhere (or the PC, if it’s a laptop) to see if you can get to the site from a different wifi network (I usually use the free wifi at the Starbucks around the corner to test mine, but you can go with whatever’s convenient to you). Also, if your PC is close enough to your router, try plugging it in with an ethernet cable to see if you can get to the site over hardwired internet but not wifi – if so, that’ll narrow the issue down even more.

I’d also recommend checking the PC and the iPad for any weird proxies or network settings that may be interrupting the wifi connection for WordPress. The easiest way to make sure everything’s kosher on the iPad is just to go ahead and reset its network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings). Just make sure you’ve got your wifi password or any other network info you need on hand, because it will wipe that and you’ll have to put it back in.

Most likely, though, you’ll need to check out your router’s settings for whatever’s causing the issue. Those details can vary a LOT depending on what brand router you have and who your ISP is, but How-To Geek has some useful general steps for getting into most routers and poking around without breaking anything important. If you’ve got one that has a weird layout, though, or aren’t sure what to look for once you’re in, feel free to give your ISP and/or router manufacturer a call to have them walk you through any known quirks they’ve got going on at the moment or built-in resets they can use to clear out whatever may be bugging up the connection between you and WordPress.

• Nice work, @acmetoaster ! You too, @iapedus .

I noticed you said you disabled plugins. That tells me you’re probably working with a WordPress.org installation at another host. While staff here wouldn’t be able to help much with that, having worked at such hosts in the past, it kind of sounds like you were inadvertently blocked by one of their security protocols. So I’d recommend getting in touch with them, too. Good luck!

• @acmetoaster @supernovia – Thanks for the responses guys, but the problem has magically resolved itself this morning. I wish I could say it was something I had done beyond making vague promises to all kinds of gods and deities, but alas blind luck seems to have played its part and I am able to access the blog once more! Wohoo!

@supernovia, academic now but it is a .com account – I already made the mistake of posting in the .org forums before posting here :D I tried to disable plug ins but found that there were none to disable.

Thanks again chaps, hugs and kisses all round!

• Hooray! Self-solving problems are the best kind! One of those deities must have been flattered enough to smile upon your blog this day.

• Indeed :) Or your host may only have blocks for 24 hours. If you run into this issue again, I’d check there first. Cheers, all, and have a great weekend!

• The topic ‘Blog won't load’ is closed to new replies.