Blog or website – tips needed

• Hi,

last year I created a blog and played around with different themes to get a feeling for wp. Some stuff is still a bit confusing like projects/portfolio, but I got a understanding how wordpress works.
    I’m a part time photographer with a wide field of work themes. I do weddings & events but also object photography. I also want to blog about my travels, gear and other hobbys a bit.

I can’t decide if I want a website and add a blog page or create a blog with a menu where I can also put older pictures in there.

A) If I do a blog, is it possible to add pictures just to the menu without showing up on the main blog site? Is this what projects are for?

B) I never tried a website with a blog page so I’m still unsure about possible advantages here? I understand that I can create a static landing page. But if I add a blog page in the menu, would there be anything different from option A), except for the landing page?

Thanks

• Hi @arcanion, can you send a link to your site so we can see what theme you’ve chosen? That will affect our recommendations.

And, I wasn’t sure what you meant about pictures in the menu. Can you clarify that?

And, just as one example of what’s possible, here’s a theme that shows the latest portfolio projects on the front page along with a slider for featured items, and has a separate blog page:
    https://sketchdemo.wordpress.com/

There are many ways to go about this :)

• Hi thanks for your answer. That was helpful to clarify what portfolios are for!
    So my site will probably change a lot next few days, because I will try some different portfolio themes. simonrau.wordpress.com (not an english site, mind)

My old template had an automatic blog excerpt feature. My new one does not, so I started to add “read more” tags in my blog entries. I guess there is no work around other than manually adding the read more line in every post. And if I change to a new theme (maybe I will switch to a premium theme later on) I might be forced to remove them again, depending on features of that theme?

As for my menu question: When I had the blog page design instead of a static home page, I wanted to add some posts to the main menu without them showing up in my blog feed. That was the question. I think it is possible in creating projects instead of blog posts and adding the project site to the menu point where I want it to show up?

• Hi there,

And if I change to a new theme (maybe I will switch to a premium theme later on) I might be forced to remove them again, depending on features of that theme?

There’s no need to worry about that. The more tag is universal and works on all themes, even the ones that natively add a read more button to the posts.

When I had the blog page design instead of a static home page, I wanted to add some posts to the main menu without them showing up in my blog feed.

You can achieve that with the following trick:

1. Assign a category or tag to all the posts you want to be visible on the blog page.

2. Create a page as your main blog page.

2. Use the [display-posts tag="XXXXX"] shortcode to display all your posts minus the one that don’t have that specific tag or category. You can read more about the Display Posts Shortcodes here:

Display Posts Shortcode

• Hi,

thank you. This shortcut trick sounds cool. This [display-posts tag = XY] can be placed ANYWHERE in a blog post, doesn’t matter where?

Ok maybe i will do that, sounds like a good option.

• The topic ‘Blog or website – tips needed’ is closed to new replies.