Block Widgets

• I’m noticing lately that widgets have been switched over to block widgets now… I’m assuming these are the same widgets that have been here since Gutenburg was implemented.

I don’t have a serious problem with this except so far, I have noticed that these block widgets do not allow you to add a title to them for display, and on the categories widget, it does not allow you to display how many blog posts are in a category like the old widget does. These things are kind of important to me.

I am wondering if things like this are going to be implemented into these new block widgets, or am I missing a setting somewhere that will allow me to continue getting the look of the old widgets?

For now I’m trying to hold off as long as possible before I put these new widgets on my website, but I am in the process of cleaning content out of my website so that I can relaunch it with new content. I am not quite sure that the Gutenburg blocks are ready for use in the widget areas. I know that there is a “Classic Widgets” plugin, but it is stated that it only has short term support.

I was excited about Gutenburg after I learned how to use it, but I don’t necessarily feel excited about these block widgets.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Note, I’m still using the old categories widget on my website currently in case anyone wonders.

• Hello there,

I’m noticing lately that widgets have been switched over to block widgets now… I’m assuming these are the same widgets that have been here since Gutenburg was implemented.

Yes that’s correct – there’s more information here: https://wordpress.com/support/widgets/

I don’t have a serious problem with this except so far, I have noticed that these block widgets do not allow you to add a title to them for display,

Because the widget area is now blocked based – you would need to add a heading block on top of the block/widget to show a title.

I was excited about Gutenburg after I learned how to use it, but I don’t necessarily feel excited about these block widgets.

For a widget, it sure is different than before. If it’s of any help, it’s more less the same as the block editor in terms of functionality.

I hope this helps.

• I completely forgot the heading block lol.

Still curious however if the categories block will be updated with the ability to show the number of posts in each category?

• I’m curious about this as well. I see you have a number of great looking sites. Do you have a live site that’s currently using the block widget to display categories that does not display the number of posts in each category? Much appreciated in advance.

• Hi again and sorry for the delay. I haven’t been on my laptop where I have a tab open on this forum thread, and I forgot to check back.

Here I’m using the old category widget which displays the number of posts- http://www.dudecapz.com and http://www.ddavidd.com

Here on this new blog I just started, you can see the category block does not display the number of posts – ttots21.wordpress.com

• Also just want to add that I read in another thread soneone said the new widget blocks are in infancy stages, so maybe this issue is just something we have to wait around for to get worked out.

• Hi there! I just replied to your post in that other thread. I’ll drop the same here as well. Could you take a look at this with me and let me know if this isn’t what you’re looking to do with the Categories block specifically? Thanks again!

• Dean thank you! That was it. I didn’t realize there was a “show more settings” option. You solved the issue for me. I’m glad that was an easy fix. Thanks again.

• The topic ‘Block Widgets’ is closed to new replies.