block vs classic

• I had a query that I sent to “An Expert” on the WP team but after asking for a link for my site, he went awol and now the case is closed.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the “Expert” assistance. I’ve marked this thread for Staff attention to note your feedback, though I believe there should be a feedback mechanism for this directly, perhaps a link in the closure email?

My query was that in the old style, I used to be able to group photos and yet still label them individually, whereas now it SEEMS that I can only do that for “image” and not “gallery”, which is a pain as the photos sometimes need to be explained.
    Any advice?

In the MySite Block Editor, are you sure you’re inserting the plain vanilla Gallery Block (not masonry, not tiled, not collage, etc.)? https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/gallery-block/ After inserting it in your post or page, you should be able to add a caption at the bottom of each image.

ALSO….
    Cos of my circumstances here internet-wise, I write my blog upstairs, then come down stairs and try to get wifi from across the miles, so I cut and paste for convenience. I find that I now have to do it paragraph by paragraph or the photos I try to add merely end up right at the very end. Ok, so… but the problem is, what happens when I, say, paste one para, then put a photo, then think eh, I want that photo in the middle of that block of text, not at the end.

IS there a way to insert photos into the middle of a text block or do I have to delete the block and divide it into separate parts so I can put the photo in. Doing it this way is very tiresome and does not allow for flexibility in layout.

Is there a way around this?

It would help to know which Editor you are using, but I’ll assume you’re using the Block Editor at MySite.

If you first paste your text file (from Notepad, Editpad-not Word or another word processor) directly in the Block Editor, your pasted text should appear in separate Paragraph blocks. You can check this by clicking on the i at the top left of your Editor screen.

After that you can place an image between paragraphs by first placing your cursor at the end of the paragraph before the point where you want to insert an image and hit ENTER, then add /image to that block to bring up the image insertion options. Add your image and you can then adjust it’s position and alignment.

I’ve prepared a screenshot tutorial which might make this more understandable. (temp screenshots)

Post back here if you have questions.

• I want to use the Classic so every time I go into a new post I click the plus sign and choose it but it only seems to last for one insertion of a para. I have to keep on clicking a plus and that Classic block each time.
    And yes, I am using Microsoft Office Word, as usual, for my drafts. So in light of what you suggested, maybe that is why I have to do it para by para.

Re photos – I can caption the photos in a gallery, but more often than not I want a tiled gallery, not a row.

It really is super frustrating – it took me twenty minutes to load one photo yesterday, and I kept being told I was offline, even though my other applications on my laptop were all telling me contrary!

Thank you for taking the trouble to try and help me with this. I appreciate your efforts and advice very much – the screenshots will be very useful reference. One thing I did find out yesterday was how to load my photos into the library for future use. Progress.

:-)

• Hello again, glad to help. I think we’re all learning right now. I don’t think anyone ever knew the myriad ways folks created post and page content prior to this change.

Anyway, if you are copy/pasting from MSWord into the Classic Block, you might run into issues with the paragraph spacing, but you can adjust that after pasting. Some people have issues, others do not and I do not know why one does or doesn’t.

In the Classic Block you can add as many new paragraphs as you want without needing to add a second Classic Block. Just hit Enter to add a new paragraph in the Classic Block itself.

If you want to add Media directly in the Classic Block, click the Add Media button.

As far as needing to add the Classic Block each time, have you thought about creating a draft post as a template and you can then simply copy that post each time? https://wordpress.com/support/copy-a-post-or-page/

By the way, I updated my screenshot tutorial to be a little more verbose, so if you downloaded it earlier, you should download it again. I updated the link in my earlier reply.

• Jennifer I know you are trying hard to help but this is impossible.

I can only do section by section now of copy and paste, and just now I wanted to change the photo tiled gallery I had. I also wanted to reposition a single image.
    I could only have it at the end of the block of paragraph, which basically means
    I have to delete that entire passage, re-select in order to accommodate this photo in its new place, and paste again and pray that I don’t want to edit it yet again.
    Please pass on to the WP staff how ANNOYING and FRUSTRATING and UNNECESSARY these changes are. It was perfect before and now I feel it is wasting my time, wasting the precious internet time I have, and not getting me anywhere bar closer to losing the plot.

and from discussions with other bloggers, I am not alone in feeling like this!

• Please can you tell me how to put captions on the photographs I want to have in tiled gallery format? I liked it that way before, and I would like to continue doing it that way, I do not want to have a row of photos in order to be able to caption them.

Thanks.

• Me again

How do I just plain look at my photo library and upload into it without automatically putting them into the post I am working on?

Thanks, Jennifer :-)

• And something else

I click on Classic block, I paste the copy I have, I then try to highlight it to change font size and the whole thing reverts back to Block Editor…

??!!!

• and finally for now (!!)

The tiled gallery is only giving me groups of 3. How do I change that so I can have a larger selection AND WITH CAPTIONS!!!

If your IT team says no captions can be added to tiled galleries then they need to rethink their design and give the client what he or she needs and not what the THINK the client should have.

Thank you.

• Hello again, You can upload your images and look at them directly in your site’s Media Library. https://wordpress.com/media/

AFAIK, if you have added captions to your images in the Media Library, the tiled mosaic block doesn’t display them in the thumbnail, but they will appear in the Image carousel or Attachment page when someone clicks on the image. https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/tiled-gallery-block/

As far as your other issues, unfortunately I really do not have answers as to why you are encountering these issues. I’ve added a tag for Staff attention and assistance. Thanks for your patience while they get back to you.

• Hi there!

I also wanted to reposition a single image.
    I could only have it at the end of the block of paragraph, which basically means
    I have to delete that entire passage, re-select in order to accommodate this photo in its new place, and paste again and pray that I don’t want to edit it yet again.

How did you add that image? If you added it to an Image Block, you can move it easily with the little arrows next to the block name:

https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/#moving-blocks

I click on Classic block, I paste the copy I have, I then try to highlight it to change font size and the whole thing reverts back to Block Editor…

What do you mean it reverts to the Block Editor? The Classic Block is part of the Block Editor so I’m not sure I understand what happens. Do you mean it changes to Paragraph Block?

The tiled gallery is only giving me groups of 3. How do I change that so I can have a larger selection AND WITH CAPTIONS!!!

You can add multiple images to a Tiled Gallery, not sure what do you mean by groups of 3, can you elaborate on that?

Here’s more information about Tiled Gallery Block:

https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/tiled-gallery-block/

As for the captions, you won’t see those in the Tiled Gallery. If you’d like to display captions on all the images, try the Gallery Block instead:

https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/gallery-block/

• Jennifer
    Hi! Thanks heaps for this. It all helps. Thank you for your patience too – writing a blog has been a good way of alleviating problems with depression that I suffer from, and to have this all happen and throw everything into such chaos for me is negating that positive effect of before. My blog isn’t a business, and I don’t care if noone reads it, but the act of creative writing and design (I studied design) is an important outlet for me.

And now onto seeing the next words of wisdom! :-)

• Fresatomica – hi!

ok, so…

1 I added the single image with the image block but am in Classic block, so when I use those arrow things to move it, it jumps to the top or bottom of the text block, and refuses to slot into the middle where I would like it to be (this is when I have copied and pasted several paragraphs from Word onto the blog site – cos of limitations here, I write it all first, then copy, paste when I get online at a later date).

2 – What I mean is, that little heading bar with options for changing font size, bold italic, etc etc that is in Classic, it goes awol and I am left with the Block bar with stuff about moving around and so on…

3 If I select, say 6 photos to be in a tiled gallery – I do not like the plain rows of the ordinary gallery mode, it looks like buying greeting cards from a shop – it will tile 3 photos in one block. Then underneath it will tile another 3, in a second block separate to the first one. If I chose a non-multiple of 3, say 4, I get a long row of tiny pics. If I chose 5, I get a group of 3 on top, and then 2 together in a separate block below.

4 That is a REAL shame, as using plain gallery is not always an effect I want and yet some photos need captions of explanation that is not appropriate to include in the main bulk of copy. In the old format, it was possible, so how come it has been lost now?

5 Thank you!

• Hi! The classic block is supposed to work like the classic editor, but as a block. So a mini classic editor of sorts, where you insert media within it, etc.

If you’re trying to add blocks within the classic block I can imagine that would get pretty messy.

Can I ask what happens if you use regular paragraph instead of trying to use the classic block? I want to say if you just paste (or paste as text) you should get that.

And, there are multiple gallery formats in blocks — let’s figure out which one best suits your needs.

As for why things get lost… ultimately it’s a matter of trying to maintain several different copies of code. We’re moving to blocks so we can offer features that weren’t possible in the classic editor, but as we move more features to blocks, sometimes things get changed just slightly. If we can unearth and get these issues reported, though, the designers and developers do work on bugs and pain points to get them sorted out.

• This has some useful advice – thank you.

What I REALLY would like is to be able to caption a tiled gallery, like I used to be able to do before.

I find now it is pretty much hit and miss as to how I use the site but I never want to do anything fancy or complicated, just clean, informative, enjoyable posts :-)

Thus I have no idea if I paste a block or classic para! I choose classic block then go to paste the text and say it is my first para, I want it in Heading 2 size font, but when I go to highlight the text and change it, that box of Classic edit options just goes awol.

• I’ve recorded a short video so you can see how it works on my end. As you can see, whenever I click outside the Classic Block, the edit options will disappear, however, I can easily get them back by clicking again on the text within that block.

Does that work for you?

• :-D

It does indeed! How marvellous!

Thank you so much, this really is very useful.

:-)

• Hi

How do I get around the tiled gallery rotating my photos when I don’t want them changed?!

• Hi again

and when I upload my photos – which are edited as I want them to be – they are being cropped.
    is there a way to make it full picture? This never happened with the old system…

• Hi again

and when I upload my photos – which are edited as I want them to be – they are being cropped.
    is there a way to make it full picture? This never happened with the old system…

• If you are adding the Tiled Gallery via a Classic Block, there should be a “random” checkbox that should be unchecked.

• The topic ‘block vs classic’ is closed to new replies.