Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?

• @unlusoycan

Please take a look at my screenshot. My description wasn’t clear.

Thank you for the report and clarification! I have reported this back to our developers for review.

• Just finished writing my post today and only got it posted in the ‘New’ version because I figured out I had to change on the left side, from ‘Draft’ to ‘Publish’
    Getting pretty darn complicated for no reason.

Yesterday I tried scheduling a post for today but it didn’t happen. Only after Jeremy from WordPress told me where to go and schedule it. So, now it’s appearing on Monday. It was a lot simpler with the ‘Old Version’.

Understand change is progress, but think these changes should have been proofed a little better before going live. Why not tell us and give us a chance to try them out, give our feedback before they are the ‘Norm’, as you are now doing here.

Still hate, angered by beep beep book. Just want to smash my screen when they come on. Most likely knowing what is about to happen.

• @basilikimetatroulou

Because, for example in Greek, one greek letter/character is “translated” by WP software to 8 or 10 characters. The URL gets sometimes 4 or 6 or even more lines long, like this for example:
    http://jailgoldendawn.com/2013/10/24/%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CF%84%CE%B7%CE%BD-%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BB%CE%B9%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AE-%CE%B1%CE%B3%CF%89%CE%B3%CE%AE-%CF%84%CE%BF%CF%85-%CE%B1%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B9%CF%86%CE%B1%CF%83%CE%B9%CF%83%CF%84/
    No one wants to deal with such lengthy URLs, as you can imagine. So, the best solution, IMHO, is to have the possibility to take a look first at the automatically created URL and then to decide if it needs change or not.
    It’s a Greek language-related software general problem, that can ruin a post or a reference.

Please note that you are self-hosted using the WordPress install, not hosting with us on WordPress.com.

However, I tried this on our old WordPress.com editor, and it didn’t exactly translate directly to the 4-6 line URL that you showed me when I edited the slug as seen here:

Screen Shot

Then when I published the page it looked like this:

Screen Shot

However, I do see the 4-6 line long URL when I pasted the link here.

So, back to my point – I’m not sure how showing the full URL slug would make a difference considering we publish it in the language the slug was written in as seen above. Let me know your thoughts on this.

• Hi, @gracejiyoung – have you been able to fix the duplication of categories, if and when I update a published blog post? (see my previous posts buried in this thread).

I am not using the new editor, so I am not much concerned. But there may be a time when I end up using the new editor and/or my co-blogger accidentally may (we really do not want to use the new editor right now – but that’s beside the point).

Could you please email because I am not keeping with this thread here.

• Hi @ismailimail!

Can you open a new thread about your issue? Add the tag “modlook” to it and we can take a look for you. :)

• I am rarely moved to comment on the internet but I was so angered by the stupid beep beep boop editor that I googled to see if there was a way to default back to “classic” and came up with this thread, which I’ve now read in its entirety, taking up 3 hours when I would rather have been blogging.

I agree with all the complaints so will not repeat them here. But I do wish to add one more voice to what one “helper” has derided as a mere 100-or-so dissenters.

The “classic” interface was a peak of UI civilization and now is being bombed back to the stone age by people with seemingly no grasp of UI and who surely do not blog. WP’s incomprehension of why we all think the Beep interface is “small” proves this; personally I feel as if I am attempting to edit through a sideways letterbox.

To make the design look “simple”, they have rearranged things badly and dumped those features whose button they can’t fit in. To name just one backwards step, anyone with sophisticated tags and categories has to scroll for miles, and you can’t even move the modules around. It’s like being in Tumblr! Which I left for WordPress for a reason.

Currently I am working in “classic” but if that goes away I will have to move to Blogger, which is vastly inferior to pre-boop WordPress – how very sad. After the Romans went away it took Europe about 1000 years to get to the Renaissance, I hope it does not take that long for WordPress to relearn all the sophisticated interface engineering that went into “classic”. I guess all the people that created that went away, and now those who remain are trying to reinvent fire. Where is a Steve Jobs when you need one?

I loved WordPress and used to recommend it to everyone, but for now, no longer. Unsmiley-face indeed.

PS Even if I liked the phrase “Beep beep boop”, I would get heartily sick of it after the first, ooh, ten posts. It’s even stupider than Flickr’s banalities. Nice!

• The problem, truthfully is the update isn’t an update at all. It is a downgrade from previous functionality. For those of us who use large screens, significant media and more than a small amount of formatting in our posts the loss of function is significant.

As someone who spends money to maintain my blog, who pays for premium services and themes, I expect to enjoy supported functionality. I expect to be able to function without interruption and I expect ‘upgrades’ will actually enhance my experience and capabilities, fixing what is ‘broken’.

I assure WordPress, I will not remain on this platform if this continues.

• It’s like when they say “new recipe” on something in the supermarket. It usually means “worse, cheaper recipe”. I fear this is the same.

• It seems that web developers measure “clicks”, the results of which guide them in their decisions to leave a functionality where it is or simply deprecate it.
    In the end they do not base their designs upon logic, reason, insight all wrapped together in “empathic comprehension”.

The only thing that counts is the clicks.

• What a pity they can’t leave all that great stuff in even if it’s not the most popularly clicked. All that sophisticated functionality wasn’t doing anyone any harm! This is how civilizations, and businesses, collapse. Sigh.

• @shawnajroberts,

I will contact you if and when I see no alternate to this new editor. Until then, I am fine maneuvering my way around using the mature editor (as long as it lasts – hopefully for long). Thanks.

From my perspective (given that I have 13K+ posts to show here) the consensus is obvious. The new editor is overwhelmingly being rejected, even if tomorrow your news item on it would generate hundreds of happy and appreciating users.

WordPress is making a serious mistake here and I hope Matt is listening, and be willing to go back to the drawing board.

• Hello!

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that the post editor width has been increased as requested.

Cheers!

• I just went to test it and golly, you really fixed it good because Preview no longer does anything. Nothing. No preview. How could you put out a new version of your software without testing it? Having worked in the industry my entire adult life, mostly as a beta tester, this is disgraceful. Rather than admitting you made a mistake, you are hustling to fix it by bits and pieces, but without a clue about where you are going and lacking understanding of the requirements of your customers. Shame on you.

This is the way the world ends,
    Not with a bang, but a whimper.
    — Ezra Pound

• @gracejiyoung
    Thanks for a reply.

“This is interesting. When you say too big for a screen, can you please elaborate? I’m just a bit confused because I wasn’t sure how this new editor’s interface is bigger than the old editor?”
    — On the old editor, the only thing I needed to scroll my screen down for was Featured Image — now I have to scroll to see half the editor page(!) and if I want to actually CLICK any of of the side areas (tags is the worst one for this, increasing the page length with every click), everything below “Publish” requires me to scroll. I use keyboard shortcuts because I have a laptop and it just makes things ridiculously time-consuming. So essentially the options on the right-hand-side are bulky and run off the bottom if you want to actually use any of them and check them all without clicking a million times.

“As for the publish button being at the bottom of the page, in theory it sort of makes sense as you finish writing up a post you’d be at the bottom of the page before you hit Publish. However, I know theory and actual practice is very different. Let me know your thoughts on this.”
    — Personally, I write the post, THEN pick a category and tags based on what I’ve written… And then decide if it fits my Thursday post type or Sunday post type best, so go to schedule it, and now have to scroll up and down 20 times just to check I’ve got everything correct — especially since preview doesn’t work so it’s even more important to get it all right. I personally feel it’s more efficient to see everything on one page/screen/without having to scroll down 50 lines.

Hope that clarifies my comments a little.

• @krgwriter

— On the old editor, the only thing I needed to scroll my screen down for was Featured Image — now I have to scroll to see half the editor page(!) and if I want to actually CLICK any of of the side areas (tags is the worst one for this, increasing the page length with every click), everything below “Publish” requires me to scroll. I use keyboard shortcuts because I have a laptop and it just makes things ridiculously time-consuming. So essentially the options on the right-hand-side are bulky and run off the bottom if you want to actually use any of them and check them all without clicking a million times.

Thanks for the clarification! I see what you mean about scrolling especially when you have a lot of categories. This has been reported to our developers. We’ll keep you updated as quickly as possible.

— Personally, I write the post, THEN pick a category and tags based on what I’ve written… And then decide if it fits my Thursday post type or Sunday post type best, so go to schedule it, and now have to scroll up and down 20 times just to check I’ve got everything correct — especially since preview doesn’t work so it’s even more important to get it all right. I personally feel it’s more efficient to see everything on one page/screen/without having to scroll down 50 lines.

Ok thanks for this – a lot of the users in this thread also mentioned the high number of clicks needed to create a post. I’ll add this to the report.

Thank you!

• @teepee12 and @krgwriter

You both mentioned that Preview was no longer working for you. I just tested this a minute ago and found that it was working. Can you check one more time and see if it’s still not working?

Also, please make sure you allow popups – let me know if it’s enabled and it’s still not working.

• @Grace

Unfortunately, I’m unable to reproduce this error. I created a screencast because I think it’d be easier to see:

Let me know if that’s not how it’s working for you. If you are talking about something else, let me know!

This video didn’t help at all.
    It has nothing to do with my problems which are:
    A) I insert an image from the media library in the new editor, and the caption is not there when I hit the pencil to see the “Image details”.
    B) I copy an image from an old post to the new editor (using the HTML code) and the caption is missing, again.
    C) I copy a gallery from an old post to the new editor, the gallery no longer exists and the images are showed now individually one-by-one, and the captions fled again.

• Hi everyone,

**Update**

The next time you select to use the classic editor instead of the new editor, we’ll remember it! From then on you’ll be directed back to the classic view instead, you won’t have to select it every time.

Please note, if you end up having to clear your cookies for any reason, you’ll need to opt out of the new editor again.

Cheers!

• I retested the Preview function — it is NOT working. I test it as follows:

I created a post using your “new editor.” I saved it as a draft. I clicked Preview.

Nothing happened.

I clicked Preview Post.

Nothing happened.

Each time I was congratulated on having saved the post.

I’d send you a screen shot, but a screen shot of something not happening doesn’t show much.

• @Grace

Please note that you are self-hosted using the WordPress install, not hosting with us on WordPress.com.

However, I tried this on our old WordPress.com editor, and it didn’t exactly translate directly to the 4-6 line URL that you showed me when I edited the slug as seen here:

Screen Shot

Then when I published the page it looked like this:

Screen Shot

However, I do see the 4-6 line long URL when I pasted the link here.

So, back to my point – I’m not sure how showing the full URL slug would make a difference considering we publish it in the language the slug was written in as seen above. Let me know your thoughts on this.

First of all, the URL I showed you was just a random URL from a random Greek blog. Nothing to do if it’s hosted somewhere or if it’s not hosted at all.
    It was an example. I wanted to show you that with WP software, the Greek URLs can be 4-6 lines long when you use them somewhere else than the address bar.
    So, I am not talking about what you see in an address bar.
    Certainly, I assume you don’t know a lot about the Greek language and the eternal computer-compatibility problems we are facing for over 30 years now, so you can’t fully understand the problems we are dealing with.

I’ll try again.
    Well, you see this random URL I showed you with a length of 4 or 5 lines, right?

Ο Νικόλαος Χριστοφοράκος (πατέρας του Μιχάλη Χριστοφοράκου) στη δίκη των δωσιλόγων

You told me how this URL look like in the address bar of the old editor.
    I think you didn’t understand what I’ve said.

My main problem is that the URL does not look like anything in the new editor because WP developers removed the box where the URL could be seen.

And (here’s another difference) Greek users would like to see the URL before the post is being published.

I’ll go a little deeper:

These characters “CE%BF%CF%81%CE%AC%CE%BA%CE%BF%CF%82-%CF%80%CE%B1%CF%84%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%82-%CF%84%CE%BF%CF%85” may say nothing to you, but in Greek represent letters (the first words of the post’s title),
    and a large number of Greek computer users want to have control over them:
    Sometimes they want to keep them (because the title is small and the URL shows just a few words and the URL is not so long).

And sometimes they want to replace them with Latin characters (because the URL grows up to 4-6 lines, as I’ve said, if the title have a lot of words and they want it small in order to handle it effectively).

But, in order to decide if they want to keep or to change the URL,
    they have to SEE it first.

Well, after all, is it so difficult for the WP developers to understand that some users want the URL-slug feature just the way it was until now?

It is crucial for many Greek bloggers to have the opportunity to chose whether they want:
    A) to keep this time the short Greek URL (I REPEAT: It’s not only what inconceivable stuff a non-Greek can see in the address bar) or
    B) to change the long Greek URL to a Latin URL with Latin characters the other time.

It will be a big problem if the WP developers consider what I’m talking about for the 3rd day now, as probably the only Greek participant in this conversation?

It’s simple and IT IS making the difference:
    Please, let the box with the URL untouched so the users can SEE it,
    this is very important,
    and, please again, provide the users with an “Edit” button in case they want to change it.

• The topic ‘Beep Beep Boop screen is a joke. Is this a glitch?’ is closed to new replies.