Automattic Publication theme not customisable as advertised

• Author

h4abf

This theme advertises the option to “Pick your favorite colors to lend your personal flair” and shows a bunch of color variations we would like to use – but there is nowhere to do this under customize!
    I have installed jetpack, made no difference. I have searched and tried every customizable option, nothing. Just moving widgets and menus.
    Am I missing something?
    I do not want to futz around with css.
    Thanks for any help.

The blog I need help with is nourishingsoul.me.

musicdoc1

Hi,

The color options described in the opening paragraph of the Publication theme guide are available at Customize > Colors & Backgrounds. Simply click the Pallettes button, choose from the optional palettes, and save your changes by clicking the Publish button.

h4abf

No Customize Colors option, that’s the problem!

I can’t upload a screen grab, but here is the full list of the top level theme customization options I have:
    – Site Identity
    – Menus
    – Widgets
    – Homepage Settings
    – Additional CSS

That’s it! Nothing to customize colors at all. Or any of the other usual customization choices.

musicdoc1

Thanks for the additional information. What’s the address of the site that you’re referring to? The site that was automatically identified in the OP is not a WordPress.com site, and it has the theme Esotera applied.

h4abf

It is that site identified in the OP, I applied the Esotera site to make it look better :)
    It isn’t a wordpress.com site. I didn’t see that it had to be?
    I downloaded the jetpack plugin as suggested.

musicdoc1

Well, your initial support request refers to the Publication theme, not Esotera, and what is available at Customize is dependent, in part, upon the theme applied.

I don’t know if JetPack is a factor in this case, so I’ve passed it along to WordPress.com staff. Staff will respond here.

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

Those built-in color options only apply to the WordPress.com version of this theme, as that’s a WordPress.com-specific feature. Jetpack does not add support for this particular feature to any WordPress.com theme on self-hosted sites.

If you’re using the self-hosted version of this theme, you’ll either need to use custom CSS, or create a child theme, to change the color scheme.

For help with CSS you can post in the forums for this theme at https://wordpress.org/support/theme/publication/. For help with creating a child theme you’ll need to get help from a professional designer/developer. You can find freelancers that do this type of work at a service like Upwork.com.

h4abf

ok thanks for your clarification
    I had no idea the templates functioned differently, just searched for templates and ended up with this one. Bit confusing!
    But thanks anyway for the help.

supernovia
    Staff

You bet. If it helps, this version should be showing somewhat different language:
    https://wordpress.org/themes/publication/

If you’re seeing a note about customizing colors on a listing that’s not here on WordPress.com, send a link and we’ll see if we can get that corrected.

Cheers!

The topic ‘Automattic Publication theme not customisable as advertised’ is closed to new replies.