Are WordPress bloggers allowed to charge money for reblogs?

• Looking at blog posts in the Reader today I came across a blogger advertising to reblog posts… not for free, but for a charge, quite a high charge too. I also couldn’t find any evidence in their post list that they had ever reblogged anyone other bloggers posts.

I’ve been on WordPress for over seven years and never found a blogger offering to reblog for payment. Feeling slightly annoyed about it, it got me wondering… is this even allowed on WordPress?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there, I’m flagging this thread for Staff input but this is not the first time I’m hearing about a WPcom blogger doing this. The first time was a couple of years ago.

If the reblogging user has a very popular site, someone may wish to hire that person’s service in order to promote their site with his or her readership. The Reblog function itself ensures that all credit for the original post goes to your site and not the reblogger’s https://en.support.wordpress.com/reblogs/

• @suzyhazelwood our forums community and even the staff doesn’t have a lot of say on TOS issues. To be honest I’m not sure where we stand on this issue. But if you feel the site might be inappropriate, you’d be welcome to report it for review. That way the correct team can intervene if necessary:

Report a Site

• @supernovia @justjennifer Thanks for trying answer this! Seems a bit strange WordPress doesn’t have any definite rules on this subject. I’ve honestly never come across it before.

If someone has a popular blog and they want to charge for creating posts to promote other blog, I have no problem with that… at least they did some work for the money. But just pressing a reblog button seems a little cheeky, to be asking other bloggers to pay for that… virtually no effort in that!

They do have a popular blog, no doubt about that, but they were giving the impression posts would get lots of views and likes… in reality the bloggers who opted to pay for the reblog, got between seven and fifteen likes, while the blog offering the service continues to get hundreds of likes per post. Obviously a terrible waste of money.

I’ll give it some thought on the report blog option… thanks for the link.

I hate to see people taken for a ride. Maybe it’s unpopularity and ineffective promotion will make it irrelevant and it will quietly disappear… I hope so.

• Seems a bit strange WordPress doesn’t have any definite rules on this subject

It’s not like we don’t have rules. We have a team that deals with all ToS related stuff and they review each reported site and take the steps necessary. They deal with ToS breaches everyday and know more about this subject than us :)
    That’s why it’s best if you reported it directly via the link that @supernovia posted.

Thanks!

• The topic ‘Are WordPress bloggers allowed to charge money for reblogs?’ is closed to new replies.