archiving posts

• I’m new to our nonprofit’s site, but I used wordpress for my first professional site, so it’s relatively familiar. How can I take old posts off and put them in an archive? I saw something about shortcodes and typing into the visual editor, but that was beyond my understanding. I want to hide old posts but be able to access them privately. Thanks, Patty Burnett

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

To hide posts from the blog page entirely so that they don’t display on any archived page might be possible with plugins that those with the Business plan may install on a site. If that’s not an option for you, then that I’d suggest the following:

I see that your site presently has three 2019 posts, and the rest are dated 2018 or earlier. Also the front page is set on infinite scroll. To show only the new ones on the front page you can disable infinite scroll and set the posts per page limit at 3 for now. Then, after you publish more new posts you may increase the limit accordingly.

Steps to setting the post per page limit:

1. Disable infinite scroll. See the Disabling Infinite Scroll section of the Infinite Scroll support page for instructions.

2. With infinite scroll disabled you may set the number of posts displayed per page at My Site(s) > Settings > Writing > Content types. The number can be changed by simply clicking on the up/down arrows. When you’ve reached the desired number, save the change. See the Content Types section of the Writing Settings support page for relevant instructions and illustration.

Note that this setting not only affects the blog page, but also all archives pages such as year, month, and date archives, category and tag archives, author archives, etc.

• I saw something about shortcodes

If you display a static page as the homepage, then you may insert display posts shortcode into its content that will display a link list of posts. That list may be customized to include thumbnail images of various sizes, excerpts, publish dates, author(s), etc. However, it’s unlikely that the list can be made to look much like the stylized blog page of the theme.

• “If you display a static page as the homepage”

Clarification: Display posts shortcode may be used in any content type (post, page, portfolio project, testimonial) as well as in text widgets, not just in a page set as the homepage/front page.

• The topic ‘archiving posts’ is closed to new replies.